Comet Lemmon

Post your solar system images here.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Comet Lemmon

Post by OzEclipse »

Comet Lemmon - Thursday 18 June, my primary target last night.

I arrived about an hour after twilight, around 730pm local time. There's a row of pines along the western fence line of the property. So I drove around the 20 acre property, and a location reasonably distant from the tree line to give me a bit of extra By the time I assembled and aligned my mounting, the comet located between the star 12 Hydra and Alphard was beginning to get a bit low hence the gradient from the lower RH corner.
Lemmon-2019-U6-CALI.jpg
Pentax K1 ISO 3200 13 x 60s with a Rokinon 135mm f2 lens @ f2.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Comet Lemmon

Post by sdbodin »

Nice! Is that the one headed north? And going to be good for us in July? All the rest this spring have fizzled.

Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

sdbodin wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:52 pm Nice! Is that the one headed north? And going to be good for us in July? All the rest this spring have fizzled.

Steve
Hi Steve,

Comet Swan was brighter and had a longer tail. Unfortunately, I only got one night out. Viewed it through 9x63 binoc it was ok but the dew was so heavy that morning it was almost raining.

It's dec is -12 now so already visible from your latitude. In a month it will be +12 DEC in Virgo.

Cheers

Joe
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Joe, that's really stunning! I haven't even heard about this one; am I living under a rock? :lol:

Regardless, great shot, thanks for sharing that! And thanks for the good wishes as well; it meant a lot ;)

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Very nice Oz!
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:10 am Joe, that's really stunning! I haven't even heard about this one; am I living under a rock? :lol:

Regardless, great shot, thanks for sharing that! And thanks for the good wishes as well; it meant a lot ;)

All the best,

Hi TFC,

I am sure that some come and go missing my attention too.
I have to keep reminding myself to check for them and sometimes go long periods without checking.

I think most of us are reluctant to make a big song and dance about incoming comets because they so frequently fizz out and the media have a tendancy to beat up all things astronomical these days.

When I remember to look, there are two sites I use to identify potential observable comets.

I periodically check :-

Seiichi Yoshida's Comet page.
http://aerith.net/index.html

and Michael Mattiazzo's Southern Comets Homepage
http://members.westnet.com.au/mmatti/sc.htm

Michael lives in Swan Hill, Victoria here in Australia. He discovered comet Swan and named it after his town. I guess he figured nobody could spell or pronounce Mattiazzo :lol:

Once I have an interest in a comet, I use

NASA Horizons
https://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons.cgi

or

Minor Planet & Comet Ephemeris Service
https://minorplanetcenter.net/iau/MPEph/MPEph.html

to generate ephemerides. Both sites use highly robust topocentric coordinate generation so that for any near Earth comets or asteroids, you will get coordinates of the body against the background skies with no parallax effects.

The Minor Planet & Comet Ephemeris Service also has an orbital element generator that outputs orbital elements in the exact format required for a variety of planetarium software. You check the box corresponding to your software and you get a text file with elements listed in the same order that they need to be input into the program. After I do that for my software Starry Night, I cross check the comet position in Starry night against the coordinates generated on at least three dates to make sure there are no errors in the orbital elements. Most of these new comets appear in Sky Safari. I guess Simulation Curriculum Software put more effort into keeping their cheaper app updated than they do with their flagship product.

Kind Regards

Joe
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations Joe on having your image selected as todays TSS APOD!!

app.php/article/6-20-2020-tss-astrophot ... of-the-day
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice capture of the comet Joe. Looks really great. Congrats on winning the APOD!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

I've not heard of that one Heavens above doesn't list it!

That's a great comet image Joe.

Congratulations on the APOD.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Beautiful shot of the comet! I'm envious as most of the observable comets at present are in Southern skies!
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Joe. A very nice Comet Lemmon image and I like the rich celery green color in your capture. Thanks for putting this up on here for us to enjoy Joe, and congratulations on winning the TSS APOD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

StarBru wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:33 pm Beautiful shot of the comet! I'm envious as most of the observable comets at present are in Southern skies!
Bruce,
Thank you.

Don't be too depressed. Comet Neowise 2020 F3 will be well positioned for mid-north latitude observers and not visible at all from the south around the new moon in July.

Joe
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Makuser wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:13 pm Hi Joe. A very nice Comet Lemmon image and I like the rich celery green color in your capture. Thanks for putting this up on here for us to enjoy Joe, and congratulations on winning the TSS APOD Award today.
Thanks Marshall.

helicon wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:24 pm Nice capture of the comet Joe. Looks really great. Congrats on winning the APOD!
Thanks Michael. It was a relief to finally spend a night out.
Gordon wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:23 pm Congratulations Joe on having your image selected as todays TSS APOD!!

app.php/article/6-20-2020-tss-astrophot ... of-the-day
Thanks Gordon and thank you & the team for all your hard work making TSS such a great forum.
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:27 pm I've not heard of that one Heavens above doesn't list it!

That's a great comet image Joe.

Congratulations on the APOD.

Regards

Graeme
Hi Graeme,
Thank you.

Heavens above does not list it by name, just by designation - C/2019 U6. It's the first one on the list. However see my earlier post [#6]. The listing or inclusion of these bodies are all dependent upon the people behind the product adding it. I don't update Starry Night very often so I need to add the orbit of such objects to mine. Even if it is listed by your particular planetarium program, the brightness models vary wildly in accuracy. Seiichi Yoshida's Comet page.
http://aerith.net/index.html includes real reported brightness estimate by observation.

regards

Joe
Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 9.30.53 am.png
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

Nice capture, and congrats on the TSS APOD! If the skies ever clear here in Maryland, I might try for this one, but will need to image with my portable scope as I am limited in low altitude views at my home (future Obsy site).
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

OzEclipse wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:40 pm Heavens above does not list it by name, just by designation - C/2019 U6. It's the first one on the list.

So it does! More attention to detail required!

I've added it to Stellarium. Stellarium adds by import from the Minor Planet Center's website, so it should be accurate. Lemmon is shown as being visible
in the first couple of weeks of August from my location going past Arcturus just after dark at mag 11 to 12.

I'll be able to have a go at it with my new camera by then!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/