M45 sketch

Let's see your sketches!
Forum rules
"We love seeing your work and welcome any and all sketches on this forum, but please note whether your sketch is a through-the-eyepiece sketch or your rendition from an existing image / painting."
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

M45 sketch

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Hi there guys and girls

I went out and I located M45 on a really cold night I had my bright head light and some black card and a white colouring pencil I got to do half of it but I was freezing so I took a couple of pictures..brought the images up in doors on pc and finished rest of it in the warmth ..I was really cold :snooty:

Here's what I did
IMG20211207184544.jpg
IMG20211207184544.jpg
Eqm35 Skywatcher mount..Skywatcher 80 ed telescope, 71 W/O GT ...bunch of eye pieces 25,mm 32mm etc...Nexter 4,se...385 mc Zwo camera, Zwo 183 colour cooled pro camera... Orion 80 ed...two compass...
Sky fi wireless telescope controller.. Rebel t3i.. light pollution L XTREME, Idas light pollution filter and Antlia 3nm gold, Antlia h alpha filter filter..other filters .. pixinsight .. startools..

:observatory: NONE :observatory:
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: M45 sketch

Post by messier 111 »

very nice , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Great sketch!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Donne »

That is a very nice sketch MG !
I could see Abe Lincoln...not kidding...when I view M45 I always see a dot to dot outline of Abe Lincoln in profile.
Well done !
👍👍👍
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

I like your sketching.
More of this please!

Tips!
I see you're doing the same thing I did and still do while sketching. You already have the sketch on the computer? With that you can edit it even more. I do that too. Rotating and framing for example. Simply makes efforts look even better.

When I photograph my sketch I always suffer from graying of stars. I see the same thing in your case. That's why I always pick up the white quite a bit in "Paint". A large cluster like the Pleiades, with not too many stars, lends itself very well to this. Others scan the sketch for the same reason.

That way I actually make two versions. One analog on white paper for in my own portfolio ( the actual sketch *) and one black and white reversed computerized one to show to others on the computer / forum. Transferring a picture from your cellphone to your computer has many advantages.

*) Sometimes even two or three. The first made outside at the telescope. Complete with erasures, sometimes even dashes instead of stars due to bad light, runaway stars due to damp paper, Jupiter as a shaky egg, shaky and erased lines etc. The second and sometimes third one made inside, nice and warm there, while sipping coffee)

You should not see these tips as criticism, but as some useful tips as sketchers among themselves. (I am not sure if "Translator" conveys the right intentions.)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Very nice 👍

I would love to learn how to sketch, that's cool!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mirrorgirl »

John Baars wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:44 am I like your sketching.
More of this please!

Tips!
I see you're doing the same thing I did and still do while sketching. You already have the sketch on the computer? With that you can edit it even more. I do that too. Rotating and framing for example. Simply makes efforts look even better.

When I photograph my sketch I always suffer from graying of stars. I see the same thing in your case. That's why I always pick up the white quite a bit in "Paint". A large cluster like the Pleiades, with not too many stars, lends itself very well to this. Others scan the sketch for the same reason.

That way I actually make two versions. One analog on white paper for in my own portfolio ( the actual sketch *) and one black and white reversed computerized one to show to others on the computer / forum. Transferring a picture from your cellphone to your computer has many advantages.

*) Sometimes even two or three. The first made outside at the telescope. Complete with erasures, sometimes even dashes instead of stars due to bad light, runaway stars due to damp paper, Jupiter as a shaky egg, shaky and erased lines etc. The second and sometimes third one made inside, nice and warm there, while sipping coffee)

You should not see these tips as criticism, but as some useful tips as sketchers among themselves. (I am not sure if "Translator" conveys the right intentions.)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Thanks so much for your information thanks
Eqm35 Skywatcher mount..Skywatcher 80 ed telescope, 71 W/O GT ...bunch of eye pieces 25,mm 32mm etc...Nexter 4,se...385 mc Zwo camera, Zwo 183 colour cooled pro camera... Orion 80 ed...two compass...
Sky fi wireless telescope controller.. Rebel t3i.. light pollution L XTREME, Idas light pollution filter and Antlia 3nm gold, Antlia h alpha filter filter..other filters .. pixinsight .. startools..

Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Really great results Rhoda.

Sketching is not an area I have gone into, but you seem to be doing a fantastic job.

As John said, keep your sketches coming as we are enjoying them :smile:
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Ylem wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:27 pm Very nice 👍

I would love to learn how to sketch, that's cool!
I don’t find it very hard to do I think you should try it

Rhoda

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Nice! You got the dingle-dangle coming off of Alcyone.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s