Ruler as an Optical Scale

Let's see your sketches!
Forum rules
"We love seeing your work and welcome any and all sketches on this forum, but please note whether your sketch is a through-the-eyepiece sketch or your rendition from an existing image / painting."
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Ruler as an Optical Scale

Post by mikemarotta »

Squinting is hard work and I often view with both eyes open. Last night, it occured to me to use a millimeter scale to help with ratio and proportion. I sketched Epsilon Lyrae. I set the ruler at a comfortable bent-arm's-length so that the distance between E1 and E2 was 2 cm. With that, I was able to get a better guesstimate of the layout of the nearby stars. Later today, I will goto see about buying a large sheet of something black to set up as a backdrop.

(ES 102 mm refractor. f/6.47 with 32mm ocular with 2x Barlow.)
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Ruler as an Optical Scale

Post by John Baars »

Well done and a good idea!
Be sure to have the same observing distance to the ruler. IMHO a stretched arm will always give the same results for you.
With a refractor and a zenith prism or diagonal one can even have one eye on the ruler and the other at the object. ( OK, it will cost some exercise)
Once the lay-out of the brightest stars in the eyepiece field is sketched, the rest may become more easy. ( without the ruler)
Thanks for your nice tip for sketchers!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.