NGC 7000

Let's see your sketches!
Forum rules
"We love seeing your work and welcome any and all sketches on this forum, but please note whether your sketch is a through-the-eyepiece sketch or your rendition from an existing image / painting."
Don Quixote
Articles: 0

NGC 7000

Post by Don Quixote »

Last night "Hankmeister3" and I went out to our Fithian dark site with our chosen kit and some sandwiches and drinks.
Henry imaged with his Quatro and I lounged with binoculars.

I was doing "Birdwatcher" astronomy.

At midnight when NGC7000 was nearly at zenith I made this observation with my Oberwerks 25X100 binoculars. I reclined in my ZG chair and easily hand held these binoculars.
I have attempted to render this sketch as close as I can to the contrasts which I was actually viewing. The sketch may show somewhat more contrast than what I actually observed. It was difficult to render the subtletie. This orientation is as viewed.

Later I may post a complete review of our outing with the 17 wonderful objects, new and old, which I enjoyed through the binoculars.

The prize for me was the view of NGC7000.
Attachments
NGC 7000.jpg
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: NGC 7000

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice sketch Mark! Handheld 25x100? Barvo! :clap:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Very nice sketch, Mark. Hand held binoculars AND sketching? Precisely how many arms do you have, anyway??? I would never have the patience, never mind the dexterity, for that!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

bobharmony wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:13 am Very nice sketch, Mark. Hand held binoculars AND sketching? Precisely how many arms do you have, anyway??? I would never have the patience, never mind the dexterity, for that!

Bob
It really was easy Bob. The binoculars are quite manageable while reclining and viewing nearly at zenith. I viewed this target off and on for about 20 minutes, verifying that what I thought I was seeing was in fact what I thought. 😊

This involved studying the star field and comparing with SS5 and identifying the visual which I had not experienced prior to this. Once I concluded the dusty figure was in fact in the correct location for NGC7000 I spent quit a while letting it soak through my eyes and into my brain. I can still see it in my minds eye as I write this post.

It is not a complicated figure to sketch. There is a low intensity of detail. The view consisted mainly in resolving the contrast difference in NGC7000 with its background. Really it is the southern portion of the view that is the tell in this recognition. The northern section extended beyond my fov.

The sketch is merely a simple bitone rendering of these contrasting fields with a few star points of the most prominent stars in the view.
The sketch began in the field with a rudimentary line sketch outlining the edges of the contrasting fields as I saw them, and making note of and depicting the orientation of the field as it appears in the binoculars as well as a few marker stars. At home I filled in the line sketch with dark and light tones.
When I had completed my positive sketch I uploaded a snapshot to PS5 and rendered an inversion followed by a tweaking of the contrast in an attempt to match what I remembered from the binoculars. The view was a very low contrast view.

So... that is the end of the story.

Thank you for looking.
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

So, that's what you were seeing from your portable barco-lounger last night, eh, Marcus? You clearly have better 65 year old eyes than I do! Heh! To even see such a dim DSO under the skies we had - Pickering 4 at best with transparency about the same, maybe touching 5 from time to time - is quite and achievement. I could hear the excitement in your voice as you were observing 7000. Your view through your binocs is almost similar scale to what I've imaged with my Quattro 8 earlier this week.

Nice rendering.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Hankmeister3 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:32 am So, that's what you were seeing from your portable barco-lounger last night, eh, Marcus? You clearly have better 65 year old eyes than I do! Heh! To even see such a dim DSO under the skies we had - Pickering 4 at best with transparency about the same, maybe touching 5 from time to time - is quite and achievement. I could hear the excitement in your voice as you were observing 7000. Your view through your binocs is almost similar scale to what I've imaged with my Quattro 8 earlier this week.

Nice rendering.
It was looking through that dark iris of the sky that did the trick, Henry. The near zenith views were the best.
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Very nice sketch of the NAM, Mark!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

frazier
Moon Ambassador

Post by frazier »

That's a great capture, thank you for sharing it.
Don Quixote wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:59 pm ...The sketch may show somewhat more contrast than what I actually observed. ...
FWIW, I almost always increase the contrast when I sketch a DSO - I'm more interested in capturing the details I see, than in faithfully reproducing the eyepiece view. But everyone makes their own decisions ...

Cheers!
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

frazier wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:37 pm That's a great capture, thank you for sharing it.
Don Quixote wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:59 pm ...The sketch may show somewhat more contrast than what I actually observed. ...
FWIW, I almost always increase the contrast when I sketch a DSO - I'm more interested in capturing the details I see, than in faithfully reproducing the eyepiece view. But everyone makes their own decisions ...

Cheers!
Thank you Frazier.
I appreciate your useful comment and encouragement on the sketching.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great sketch Mark and congrats on bagging NGC 7000. The view reminds me of a dark sky trip a couple of years back when I was able to view the North America Nebula through the 15x70's. I have never been able to replicate an observation of this object at home.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Shabadoo »

Nice sketch.
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Mark,

It’s amazing that you could glimpse that target. Good for You!

I would have to take several looks too, just to confirm. Also with pointing the phone running SkySafari at the target too!

Once I see something amazing like that, I have to look away and go back to it several times and it feels so good!

Fine sketch too!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/