Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

May 27 Sun and the past three days

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hey all,

Was another nice day here. I went out to see a lady who's on my regular job route list to do a side-job. I trimmed a hedge thats about 60" long, 8" high and 5" wide. I also pulled/cut all the vines and small maple trees growing inside it, as well as cleaning out the accumulated trash. Doing that and cleaning all the trimmings up took about 2 1/2 hours and I made $300 cash. Sweet; it helps pay for my solar addiction.

I got in at 4PM; had a shower, got my solar setup and cracked open a tall-boy. It was 23C (about 76F) outside and a mostly clear sky; a few high thins. I will take that.

The Sun was getting lower in the west, so I got busy and took 130 shots at ISO 800 at 1/1600th with my EOS 550D, Baader Solar Continuum and UV/IR filters on the T-ring nosepiece and a 3.8 OD filter on the front of my C80-HD.

Again, this is the best 10% aligned and stacked with PIPP and AS3. No post processing either:

Sun_05_27_2023s.jpg

Annotations:

Sun_05_27_2023a.jpg

Full size image here

AR3315 now has a "light-bridge" cutting through the right side umbra (the dark patch), as seen here:

AR3315.jpg
AR3315.jpg (14.39 KiB) Viewed 149 times

What is a light-bridge? From the SOLAR-B website:

Light-bridges are lanes of bright material that divide the umbra in a sunspot. They are often observed during the break-up of sunspots and therefore can represent the re-establishment of convection which is normally inhibited by the sunspot's strong magnetic field. Their increased brightness suggests a higher plasma temperature than in the surrounding umbra, and they have been shown to display significantly enhanced chromospheric brightness and activity, including jets and surges.

I've had good luck since the 24th (Wednesday); Thursday wasn't the best of skies but oh well. Here's the progression of all that:

Sun_05_24_2023b.jpg
Sun_05_25_2023b.jpg
Sun_05_26_2023b.jpg
Sun_05_27_2023b.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow will be day 5. Was hoping to do some observing tonight as it's so nice out, but the previously mentioned high thins now have company. C'est la vie!!

Hope you fare better and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: May 27 Sun and the past three days

Post by Ylem »

Very nice and informative post Mark

The AR3315 light-bridge is pretty cool.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Glad that you had a nice stretch of good weather.

Very interesting post. You and ole’ Sol are becoming really good buddies. You photographically document it’s every move!

Great photos and informative read Mark! Keep up the fine work!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Thanks Jeff; I do try :lol:

As for the light-bridge, this is the third one I've caught since 2017; though there wasn't much in the way of sunspots then. I have no idea how long they last, but I do know it wasn't there 24 hours ago. Tomorrow looks iffy, but if I get a chance I'll see if it's still there.

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Juno16 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:32 am Glad that you had a nice stretch of good weather.

Very interesting post. You and ole’ Sol are becoming really good buddies. You photographically document it’s every move!

Thanks Jim, yeah I'm turning into a solar head. Seems the daytime are the only clear skies I get, as I type this it's 9:30PM here and just yucking up :lol:

Hope you get a chance to image the new supernova; and I hope the pup(s) and Jack are good!
Mark

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:36 am
Juno16 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:32 am Glad that you had a nice stretch of good weather.

Thanks Jim, yeah I'm turning into a solar head. Seems the daytime are the only clear skies I get, as I type this it's 9:30PM here and just yucking up :lol:

Hope you get a chance to image the new supernova; and I hope the pup(s) and Jack are good!

Got you on the weather. I haven't had a chance to get out since 4/14. I have had the scope set up outside for days now trying to get some time in on the SN in M101. I caught 46 minutes last night before I got clouded out. But, the skies were so poor, I will probably shuck that data.
Tonight looks much better, but some clouds are predicted. I've collected almost 1 1/2 hours so far. The moon is bright at >50% which doesn't help when imaging a low surface brightness galaxy like M101, but I will take what I can get.
One thing that I have had no trouble catching is the SN. It shines very brightly in each frame. I'm very excited as this is my first SN!

Jack is doing good. He went to his bed a bit ago and I am going solo. My wife asked me to wait until my grandson gets a bit older (he's 22 months old) before I get back to fostering. I really miss it! Can't wait to have a foster pup again. The grandson is a blast though.

Take care my buddy and please keep the fine solar images coming!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

nice take my friend , jai vu la meme chose que toi , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada: