Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

A long week and today's Sun

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hey all, hope you're good :D

Quite the week here. Tuesday, just after I picked up yet another package from Mark (John Donne), I got a call from my daughter saying we had been broken into. Well, that will take the wind out of your sails.

The place was a mess, but it turns out all that is missing is our safe. Wow. Problem is, that has things in it like passports, birth certificates; my wife has dual citizenship (Canada/UK), so that's been fun to deal with. And they didn't bother with the basement, which is where my scopes and related equipment are stored.
As well, the cat wasn't harmed, though she was clingy for a couple of days.

Thursday morning I get a call from my better half informing me the plates from our car are gone, both of them. Are you freaking serious? Freaking was not the word I used, BTW.
Once again, call the police. Turns out we're not the only ones in the neighbourhood going through BNE's and damage/theft from cars. That was actually a relief; I was thinking we were being targeted. Semms everyone is; the cops said there will be a "large police presence" in the area for the next while. Good, I sure as heck have nothing to hide.

Today is Saturday and I put our new plates on the car. They'll never come off. I used Torx bolts with locknuts, and filled the heads of the bolts with my MIG welder. Nothing to grip onto now, and I did the same with my truck. That took some time, believe me. If I ever have to get the plates off, it will require power tools :lol:

What a week.

Today was predicted to be clear for the better part of the day, and it was. I finished the whole plate thing, and thought to wrap my feeble mind around my favorite hobby :D

I brought out my C80-HD, Canon 550D and Baader solar film. All that got mounted on my CG4 and set up. Here's today's Sun. AR2891 is disappearing on the far right, AR2893 is in the upper middle, and a new spot, AR2894, is coming around at the bottom left and putting out C-class solar flares.

Sun_Nov_06_2021s.jpg

Full size image here

As for tonight? It's cloudy out now, but that's supposed to change to clear again at about 9PM, according to Clear Outside and CDS. Hopefully I'm still awake.... I did bring out The Hankmeister in anticipation, and put it on my recently completed and very solid pipe mount. I welded the parts on the pipe I didn't want to have moving, and the two handles make for good "steering". The two square tubes supporting the center pipe make sure there are no vibrations at all. I've used it once before; alt or az, no shakes at the lens whatsoever. After that, it was time for paint. And I have to say, galvanized pipe is hard to paint with white. Three coats, and you can still see the gray showing through!

IMG_1711s.JPG
IMG_1712s.JPG
IMG_1715s.JPG

If tonight doesn't work out for me, CDS says dark blue for the whole day/night tomorrow. One way or another, I will see Jupiter, Saturn, and a few other targets this weekend. Or so I hope.

And you might be wondering; what did I receive from Mark? I don't even know what to say here; I was somewhat overcome. Between this and getting broken into, best and worst day ever... I only put it all together this afternoon.

IMG_1719s.JPG
IMG_1724s.JPG

All the electronics/cables/counterweights are with it too. I will make a seperate post about all that; hopefully tomorrow. And Mark, I can't thank you enough again; as well do Jackie and Sarah :D

I would try it tonight or tomorrow, but I've never owned a computerized mount, much less something of this quality and capability, so I want to be more "with it" to try this out. For tonight or tomorrow, I'll stick with my simple pipe mount until I have the time to properly look at this. No need to get frusturated ;)

Honestly folks, I've/we've had a real PITA of a year here, as a lot of us have had. But thanks to my family, close friends and all of you on TSS, it's been bearable. I can't thank you all enough!

Alrighty, I just got a shout-out from the daughter unit that dinner (Pizza, salad and garlic bread) will be ready in ten minutes. Good timing that!

I hope you all have a good night/day, and all our best to all of you :D
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: A long week and today's Sun

Post by John Donne »

I am enjoying the Solar image Mark.
And the PIpe built mount looks GREAT !

I can only add expletive deleteds regarding the invasion you have experienced so I will say no more.

As for the computerized mount...wise to take time...it can be frustrating...but once you get things sorted it is nice to tell it where you want to go...and get there.

I still use my hand driven cg4 quite often.

I hope you do get out tonight or tomorrow. I have had two nights of outstanding viewing conditions here...I have burnt the candle at both ends...maybe again tonight. I figure I need to take advantage while I have the sky.

I look forward to an observing report from you soon my friend ! 👍
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Stealing plates? What?

Well, Mark, filling in the heads of the bolts is radical, but it won't be easy to take these plates! Go Mark!!!!!

Your new mount looks awesome! Henry had a great friend in Mark. He fulfilled Henry's wished in excellent form! How nice it is to have a friend like that.

Thank you for sharing your solar image here. Great image as always.

Best of success getting out soon.

I am lucky to be out imaging tonight myself. I have had a really rough start though. All kinds of really unusual things going on. Had my doubts that I would be able to continue, but so far, I have 2 hours going and things seemed to have smoothed out some.

Looking forward to your next report.

Have a fine evening sir!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Mark, I will turn your opening remark around - "Hey all, hope you're good".... I hope that you and your girls are feeling good.

The aftermath of that horrible home invasion incident must be difficult to come to terms with. Jackie and Sarah must be feeling particularly uneasy and vulnerable, but even with the added police presence in the area I think it is highly unlikely that those evil people would return. Give Jackie and Sarah an extra big hug from me please :romance-grouphug: (also a ruffle of kitty's fur as a bonus ;) )

It is lovely to see you posting those images again.

I can't do any more for you with such a large distance between us, but I am thinking about you all each day, and you know I am here if you ever want to talk :smile:

Once again, it is humbling to see the generosity of the 'other' Mark @John Donne sending you more equipment. Henry certainly had a great friend in him and they must have had a great time together.

I look forward to hearing more 'happy' reports from you Mark, and hopefully your horrible experience at home will soon become a distant memory.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.