Post your solar images here.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

27 years ago today.

Post by OzEclipse »

A bit of nostalgia............

November 3, 1994 27 years ago today was my first totality. I joined a crazy Californian named Joel Harris who ran a tour group called Twilight Tours to head to the south end of Lago Poopo, Bolivia.
joel&santiago.jpg
joel&santiago.jpg (16.13 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
941103site.jpg
941103site.jpg (11 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
I met my late friend Ernie Piini on that trip. On seeing my three camera setup, he advised me to forget the photography and enjoy the view. Despite his experience, I didn't take his advice.

In 1994, it was all film cameras. Only one camera had a motor drive. I had my get set up on the ground around me.
_IGP6533.jpg
I had rehearsed the procedure so many times in the months leading up to the eclipse such that I could do it by touch and I captured these images while watching the entire eclipse naked eye and with binoculars.

One camera was a 1950's folding 2 1/4 square camera with an 80mm f6.3 in-shutter lens that was separate to the film transport wind on. I took one picture every 5 minutes for most of the eclipse to capture this time lapse
intijiwana.jpg
I had two other cameras, one with a 120mm f2.8 and one with a 200mm f4.

I used the 200mmf4 to take this 1 min interval timelapse up to the eclipse and also the mid totality single image.
941103multi1.jpg
941103multi1.jpg (14.02 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
941103_corona.jpg
941103_corona.jpg (4.7 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
This was a longer exposure with the 120mm f2.8 lens attempting to capture the outer corona. However the exposure was too short and did not capture as much extent of the corona as I could see. It was as long and exposure as I could take with a 120mm lens without trailing. I left a UV filter on the lens and got a second ghost image. Oh well it was my first eclipse!
_IGP6534.jpg
My procedure included a pause mid-eclipse so that I could observe it through small binoculars. But my hands were trembling so much that I went back to naked eye.

This eclipse occurred at solar minimum, characterised by long equatorial coronal streamers. In addition, our altitude was approximately 14500 feet. The naked eye coronal streamers stretched to a greater radial extent than any of the other 13 total eclipses I have observed since. I estimated 6-7 degrees to the naked eye using the lunar diameter and handspan to estimate. The coronal streamers were certainly spilling out of the 7.5 degree field of my 8x24mm wide angle binoculars.

Joe
Attachments
TSE-1994-stamps.jpg
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: 27 years ago today.

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

What a wonderful experience Joe.

Definitely something worth looking back on :smile:

Great images too.

(P.S. I was three months old at that time :lol: ) but I am not trying to make you feel old, just not an experience I would have remembered ;) )
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:16 am What a wonderful experience Joe.

Definitely something worth looking back on :smile:

Great images too.

(P.S. I was three months old at that time :lol: ) but I am not trying to make you feel old, just not an experience I would have remembered ;) )
Vanessa,
I'll reply after I get my zimmer frame and struggle to the computer. :lol:

You'll like this...

I wanted a simple hair cut and a beard trim before the eclipse. So I asked the hotel concierge where i could get a hair cut. He pointed me across the road. It was a full on salon. head and shoulder massage, shampoo, beard trim, hair cut and style. OMG 3.5 hrs!!!!!!! The beard trim alone took over 1 hr. I was so sick of it and dying to get out at the end. I don't know how women do it and like it. Anyway, this is me after 3.5 hrs of preening. I couldn't see the difference to a straight barber haircut back home but it was quite the experience. :lol:
Joe's Bolivian haircut.jpeg
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

That is really cool Joe!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful blast from the past with us and your outstanding imagery!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Quite the dapper young man there Joe.

Don't forget to get some stretches in to ease those aching joints, and apply the 'Deep Heat' :lol: :tease:

I think most women just like the experience of being pampered, plus they get chance for a good chat.

Sophia and I don't need to go to salons as we can do each other's hair and nails.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

thx , love those stories , very nice images , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Great story and images Joe. Thanks for sharing.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Thank you Joe for this great post ! 👍👍👍
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Great story Joe and great images too! Real men don't use digital cameras! And about the haircut, I am so ready to get out if it takes more than a half hour while the barber is talking with others about baseball games, aagh.. I can tell in that picture that your hair would stand straight up if it could.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Cliff
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Cliff »

Great images and story Joe