Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

So many new sunspots!!

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hello again all; as always I hope you are well and good :D

Today is Saturday, and guess what time I woke up? Just after 4AM. I woke up thinking I had to go to work... :lol: Ah well, it is what it is. Tried to get back to sleep, but to no avail. Took a look outside, but no stars/planets visible due to cloud cover. Still, there was no humidity and a nice 66F/19C outside. Time for coffee...

Got on here for a bit, heard the cat waddling around upstairs, fed the furball and went outside with her. Dawn was approaching, and I sat cross-legged on the rather cold patio stones and socialized with the almighty feline as the world got brighter. Needy creature...

My wife woke up and informed me she was going to go for groceries. Always a good thing. I had some leftover chicken for breakfast, and as I was doing so, my teenage daughter unit woke up :D She had something to eat and went upstairs. I went back downstairs and checked the forecast and Spaceweather.com. It informed me there was a new spot, AR2864, and what looked from the image of a new spot(s) forming above and to the left. As far as my forecast, not too promising. Oh well.

Mum got home with the groceries, and then Sarah and I went to the local mall. She needed a new phone charging cable, and I haven't been in a dollar store in ages.

We both like to make things. I've taught her basic welding using my MIG. I do all the muscle work (clamping, bending) and then have her do the weld. I've taught her the settings for the thickness of the metal being welded, wire stick-out, angle of the weld, etc. I'd love to see what she could do with a TIG. She is her fathers child for sure! As a side note, she took a shop class in her last year before Covid shut that down, and her final mark was 97.7%. She was top in her class and one of three girls in a class of 27. I was wearing a grin for weeks and so was she. As her father, I am a lucky man :D

We took a look in the cutlery part of the dollar store, as it's amazing the things you can weld together from spoons, forks and the like. We ended up buying some ladles, salad spoons, and skewers after we had a shared idea.

Her and I got in about 10:30, and spent some quality time together. We had a lot of fun making this. The top starts off looking like some cutesy anime character, then it just goes Freddy Kruger lower down :lol: It's 18 inches/46cm's tall with an average 12 ounce beer can for scale.

weld01s.jpg
weld02s.jpg

Between it all and lunch, this took us to about 2PM. Nice. Sarah bid me farewell for now and went in to her room to socialize with friends, and I cleaned up outside. By this time, the clouded-out Sun was clearing our tree through the clouds. I went in, and when I came back out half an hour later, I had a clear blue sky. That was not part of today's forecast...

Opportunity sometimes knocks pretty loudly, and this was on of those times. Once again, ran downstairs, scope, filter and camera, run upstairs to the shed for the mount and set it all up. Not even two minutes. And yet in that short time frame, the clouds were already billowing in from the west. I managed to take 22 out of 40 shots before the cloud wisps started in the frames.

I used my C80-HD and Canon EOS 550D at ISO 100 and 1/250th sec exp in Monochrome mode. I ran the 22 shots through PIPP, and took the first 10 to stack with AS3, as the quality of them was all above 99.8%.

Out of those 10, I stacked 25%. So what's that; 2 1/2 pictures? :lol: Well, maybe sometimes less is better :D

After I was satisfied with all that, I ran the stack through ImPPG, and did some mild tweaking with the PS 2020 Raw filter. Then off to PSP9, where I added the planets to scale.

This morning when I checked Spaceweather.com, there were two identified spots, as well an an un yet numbered group above.

Well, when I processed my pics, it was quite a different story. It's fun to be ahead of the game... The Sun is literally exploding in spots! Depending on how they form and how the NOAA labels them, there could be a minimum of four or more in the next day or so. Here's the images:

Sun_Sept_04_2021s.jpg
Full size image here

Some annotation for the left side of the disc:

Sun_Sept_04_2021-annotation.jpg
Full size image here

And one for the right. This is just forming, and no, it is not AR2860; that disappeared from our field of view yesterday:

Sun_Sept_04_2021-annotation02.jpg
Full size image here

After that we had dinner, as it was supposed to rain early tonight, and sure enough it did and still is.

bbq.jpg

I'm looking at rain all night tonight and clouded out tomorrow according to my forecast, but Monday looks good!

I hope you fare better than I. Thanks for reading and have a great night/day!!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: So many new sunspots!!

Post by Lady Fraktor »

It is nice that the minimum is over with and we can o some good solar viewing for a change.
Nice images and my thought was wait till middle of the night and the newest creation is casting a shadow on the wall :lol:
Congratulations to Sarah for her excellent class level as well :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:52 am It is nice that the minimum is over with and we can o some good solar viewing for a change.
Nice images and my thought was wait till middle of the night and the newest creation is casting a shadow on the wall :lol:
Congratulations to Sarah for her excellent class level as well :)
:lol: Yeah, Sarah and I noticed the shadows... She says thanks for the congrats on her mark and the condolences from last month; it's been difficult here.
I will send you a PM soon, just need to be in the frame of mind to do so...

Thanks from the three of us :D
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Another very nice set of images, Mark.:)

Given the large number of images you post, I'll venture that you are the hardest working solar-head on the forum. All great work that we all enjoy. Thanks!!!

Clear Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

I always enjoy reading your reports Mark, so thank you for posting them (keep them coming :) )

Another great set of images too.

You and Sarah are very creative, you have obviously taught her well.

I was so impressed to hear the high marks she achieved in her shop class. Well done you Sarah, and many congratulations.

I look forward to seeing what your next creation will look like (maybe a metallic Orrery ;) ) Food for thought maybe :lol:
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very nice , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Man Mark! Where did you have to go to get that picture of the sun and all the planets! :o
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Great post Mark, and great captures 👍
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

I went back and re-read what you wrote. The first time around I was captured by the images and was studying all of those. The one with the planets is very instructive as far as the size of everything, but the rest are really worth a good study, which I did. In the second read, I enjoyed you sharing about your daughter. That is where you really need to be congratulated!

Good job! :)
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Excellent, Mark! Thanks to your fine report I checked the Spaceweather and freaked out. Never saw that many spots since I gotten to solar. I am pulling my setup out! :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Very nice report Mark.
I have the ant you sent me mounted, crawling on the wall over my fireplace ! 😊
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"