Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Lots of spots

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi everyone :D

Yesterday I woke up to a sky filled with forest fire smoke and a lot of humidity: not the best of days observing-wise. Still, I managed to get some shots of ol' Sol, and though the stack wasn't the best, I could still see there was a new sunspot(s) forming that didn't have an AR designation.

This morning I got up at the joyous hour of 3:30, and was on the road at 4:45. When I walked out, it was a nice 20C (~70F) outside with fairly clear skies; I could see Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. No time for a scope, though.

The Sun rose just before 6AM; I could see it in my rearview/door mirrors. Unlike the day before, no haze or red tinge. My whole day was spent in sunshine with a constant light breeze and the temperature rising a few degrees from the morning, but no haze and for once, no humidity.

I ran through my day, and 350 km's (200 miles) later I was home again at a bit after 2:30. Had a shower, shot the breeze with the family, finished off the first half of a project I have on the go, and decided to see what our star was up to.

According to Spaceweather.com (which uses the SDO/HMI image), the region I saw yesterday is now showing up with them, but still doesn't have a designation. I give it a day and it'll be AR2848 :)

This is the stack I took today with my C80-HD, Baader solar film, and Canon EOS 550D at 1/250th sec exp and ISO 100. The planets are to scale.
Sun_07-21-21-s.jpg

Full size image here

This is a "map", if you will, of the spots visible, with the question marks being the one(s) that have no designation:
spots.jpg

And that's it for me. Been a nice day and it's clear out now and supposedly for the next while after it gets dark, but after almost 18 hours... ;)

Have a great day/night, all!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Lots of spots

Post by Graeme1858 »

Sounds like you had a busy day Mark!

Good solar image, nice granulation on the full res version. Thanks for the annotated version.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/