Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

The Sun June 11/21

Post by Thefatkitty »

A shot of the Sun today with my 60mm homemade "Towatron" with Baader solar film and Canon 550D at ISO 100 and 1/250th sec exposure.

100-Sun_06-11-21.jpg

Image3.jpg

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: The Sun June 11/21

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Great image again Mark, but I missed not seeing the Earth in the bottom right hand corner for size comparison that you usually show us :sigh:

Not a criticism at all Mark (you know me well enough by now anyway). It was just an observation, as I know your little traits so well too :smile:
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Nice solar image Mark.

Quality filter holder!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:35 am Great image again Mark, but I missed not seeing the Earth in the bottom right hand corner for size comparison that you usually show us :sigh:

Not a criticism at all Mark (you know me well enough by now anyway). It was just an observation, as I know your little traits so well too :smile:
Hey Vanessa, nice to hear from you as always :D You're right; I forgot out little blue marble. A good friend of my daughters passed away Wednesday night, the circumstances were not good, and it kind of rocked our world here. My post was really me just trying to get my mind off of it for a bit. Astronomy is good for the soul, even the solar type.

Your post here made me smile; first time in a bit and I thank you for that :)

So here is the version I should have posted, the Sun with our Earth to scale:

100-Sun_06-11-21_Earth.jpg

You and Sophie have yourselves a great weekend!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

fine disc , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:09 am Nice solar image Mark.

Quality filter holder!

Regards

Graeme

Thank you Graeme :D The solar filter was easy to make, as was the scope and sun finder. The whole kit, scope and all, cost me just under $50CDN (~30GBP):
Image4.jpg
Image5.jpg

Yeah, a little too much home made in my life :lol:
02.jpg

Have a great weekend!
Mark

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:28 pm Yeah, a little too much home made in my life :lol:

Nothing wrong with a bit of home made!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Thefatkitty wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:05 pm Hey Vanessa, nice to hear from you as always :D You're right; I forgot out little blue marble. A good friend of my daughters passed away Wednesday night, the circumstances were not good, and it kind of rocked our world here. My post was really me just trying to get my mind off of it for a bit. Astronomy is good for the soul, even the solar type.

Your post here made me smile; first time in a bit and I thank you for that :)

So here is the version I should have posted, the Sun with our Earth to scale:

You and Sophie have yourselves a great weekend!
I am so sorry Mark to hear about the loss of your daughter's friend :cry: . Please pass on my condolences to her.

I am pleased that I was able to make you smile though. I am always here if you ever need to talk, even if it is just to vent some of your pent-up anger or frustrations. I am a very good listener.

Thank you for re-posting your familiar Sun/Earth image.

Please give Sarah a big hug from me, and also give one to your lovely wife Jackie :romance-grouphug:
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Howdy Mark. A very nice solar image in white light with the home brew 60mm "Towatron" and Baader solar film. You have a very good disc and granularity details. Thanks for sharing this nice capture with us on here Mark, and keep up the great work.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Mark,
So sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter's friend. This forum can be a good "distraction" at times like these with all the wonderful people and their experiences and the comraderie we all share.

I enjoy your posts and love your ATM scope and the striking image of the sun. Clear skies ahead!
Bruce
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:04 pm
I am so sorry Mark to hear about the loss of your daughter's friend :cry: . Please pass on my condolences to her.

I am pleased that I was able to make you smile though. I am always here if you ever need to talk, even if it is just to vent some of your pent-up anger or frustrations. I am a very good listener.

Thank you for re-posting your familiar Sun/Earth image.

Please give Sarah a big hug from me, and also give one to your lovely wife Jackie :romance-grouphug:

Thank you so much Vanessa, and I did; I showed them both your post. Sarah especially liked it :D

StarBru wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:27 pm Mark,
So sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter's friend. This forum can be a good "distraction" at times like these with all the wonderful people and their experiences and the comraderie we all share.

I enjoy your posts and love your ATM scope and the striking image of the sun. Clear skies ahead!
Bruce

Thank you Bruce, that was much appreciated. Showed both the girls your post; they're amazed at the friendship and support on here. Plus I've been talking to them for years about all the folks on here and from the AF days...Yes, this forum is good for the soul for sure :D They both thank you as well!

My day did not get any better. From this morning when I replied to this post, I went to cut a lawn, walk a dog, and finally build a chain link fence. These are all for folks from my day job; a lot of elderly and I help out with things for more than a few of them. It's who I am and hey, there ain't no rest for the wicked ;) :lol:

Driving home, I was approaching my exit from the 401, otherwise known as the Trans-Canada Highway. I checked my passenger side mirror to see if I could change lanes. No was the answer to that, then I looked in front of me just in time to see a car start to merge into my lane, going a lot slower than I was. I tried to stop and swerve a bit....

As I hit him, his muffler finally decided the rust holding it on wasn't going to cut it, and that went under my front end. The noise from that, not to mention the big gouge that's now on the highway from it scraping till I was finally able to stop...

Thankfully I wasn't hit from behind. A tow truck was there like a vulture of course, and it wasn't long before the fire truck pulled up behing me, blocking the two lanes that this happened on. Paramedics showed up next, then finally the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police). The driver of the car who I hit was moaning away and insisted on being taken to hospital. Kind of surprising, as neither of us was going overly fast; certainly below the speed limit. And I was and still am perfectly fine. I was asked questions of course, but I could get the feeling it wasn't being considered my fault.

The OPP officer had me back my car off the muffler, and to follow him to a gas station off the highway to fill out a report. The car was fine for driving; I took my hands off the wheel at one point and it still went straight. Just the body damage.

He was a good sort, the officer, and he assured me this wasn't my fault. We shook hands when we parted, and he gave me his contact info should any problems arise.

I should have taken my truck, it's just the 2018 Civic get better gas mileage that my 2012 Ranger and I had some distance to cover. The truck would have been OK and wouldn't have caught buddy's muffler under the front end. Yeah, shoulda, woulda, coulda.....

So here's my dear wife's car at the moment. At the time of the accident, the car had 57016 KM's (just over 35K miles) on it.
car.jpg

I was looking forward to getting home before all this happened as it was clear out; good time for more solar. By the time I got in and talked to the girls as well as showing them the damage, it was setting behind the trees. Good thing about the Sun; it's there the next day. Thankfully I will be too :D

Have a good day/night!
Mark

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Oh dear Mark, you are having a very bad run of stressful events at the moment :cry:

I am sorry to hear about the car accident but very pleased that you were not hurt.

It was good that the police officer was so helpful for you too.

Should you have taken your truck? Hindsight is such a wonderful thing Mark, so don't beat yourself up about Jackie's car being the one that got damaged. I am sure she is most thankful that you came home safely. Car damage can be easily repaired, human beings not so.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Excellent image of the Sun Mark! And sorry to hear about that accident. But glad you're ok and that's what matters.
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/