Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Les Soleil 05/27/21

Post by Thefatkitty »

Bonjour mes amis, ca va bien? :D

I left for work this morning at 5:30; a beautiful cool morning with a red Sun just peeking above the horizon. I stopped for gas, and noticed a car at the other pump with Quebec plates. Actually, only one plate on the back as that's all that's required and issued there. Anyways, went to pay for my gas, and the owner of the car was asking the cashier in very broken English for directions. I was born in Montreal and have lived over half my life there. All that to say, I'm bilingual, and when I asked him if he needed help with that perfect Quebecois accent included, his face lit up like the Sun was doing.

I spent 15 minutes helping him out; he was so grateful. He insisted on at least buying me a coffee and we parted ways. I even gave him my cell number in case he got lost. That was almost 12 hours ago now, haven't heard a thing. Guess all's good.

I had some deliveries in the west part of Ontario. Farm country. Driving down all these RR's, fields on either side, no other vehicles for miles, perfect blue skies, tunes cranked... And I get to see happy people and their furballs.
Some days it's nice to be me :)

Of course, astronomy (both night and day) is always on my mind. I knew of the "soon to be rotated out of our field of view" spots on the Sun, AR's 2824 & 26. AR2825 unfortunately did not live too long. I also knew it was supposed to be hazy then cloudy starting at about 3PM, according to the forecast. I figured all this out last night. One of the reasons I headed out so early.

I pulled in at a bit after 1:30PM to still clear skies. The Sun was almost overhead in a cloudless sky. Knowing that could change in a heartbeat...

Said Hi to the family, went downstairs and got my C80-HD, Baader solar filter and Canon 550D. I took all this outside, lined up on the Sun, and took 35 shots at ISO 100 and 1/250th sec exp.

I have this down to such a science, if you will, that the whole process from going downstairs, getting and setting up the scope and taking the shots was just under seven minutes... Seven minutes of terror?

I ran all 35 through PIPP for alignment, then through AS3 for stacking. I stacked all 35 frames at 25, 50, and 75 percent respectively. All three stacks came out well, but I was partial to the 75% one.

Some minor L/R deconvolution in ImPPG, and a final bit of tweaking in PhotoShop with the Camera Raw filter. This is the end result with the Earth to the bottom right for scale:

Sun_05-27-21_s.jpg

Click here for a full size image

And I did try to enhance the penumbra around the spots... Did I mention I really want a Calcium-K filter?

Sun_05-27-21_blue_s.jpg

Click here for a full size image

This took me to after three o'clock. I took a look back outside, and sure enough, my forecast was right. Haze and clouds to the west; my timing was good.

Hoping for a clear night one day (night?); I have a few things to try out.

Hoping your forecast is clear and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Les Soleil 05/27/21

Post by MistrBadgr »

Cool!....especially the blue one! :)
Lots of thunder here right now :(
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Nice detail Mark , it would be a treat to see what you can do with a calcium-k .
You seem to cover a lot of ground with your job , do you ever get to the Brantford area ? If you do and have the time I would be happy to show you my Ha gear and show how the mods work .
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

bonsoir , ca va tres ben merci , nice shots , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Excellent Mark!
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A great start to the morning and some nice images as well!
Glad you could enjoy the day :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Mark. A great solar image from you here in white light. It looks like you captured AR2824 and AR2826 nicely. Thanks for sharing this with us on here Mark, and keep up the great work when your skies are clear.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

MistrBadgr wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:00 am Cool!....especially the blue one! :)
Lots of thunder here right now :(

Thanks Bill, I'm glad I got the images yesterday; today it snowed... :lol:

From what I know, your location is a tornado hotspot in the spring I believe; stay safe!

messier 111 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:58 am bonsoir , ca va tres ben merci , nice shots , thx .

Merci, mon ami; bonne fin de semaine :D

TheButcher wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:20 pm Excellent Mark!

Thank you sir! :D

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:28 pm A great start to the morning and some nice images as well!
Glad you could enjoy the day :)

Thanks Gabrielle, hope you get some clear skies tonight; be a nice birthday present :D

Makuser wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:22 pm Hello Mark. A great solar image from you here in white light. It looks like you captured AR2824 and AR2826 nicely. Thanks for sharing this with us on here Mark, and keep up the great work when your skies are clear.

Thanks Marshall, much appreciated! As for my clear skies, it might be a while on that... :lol:

All our best to you and Sheri :D

Solsearcher wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:45 am Nice detail Mark , it would be a treat to see what you can do with a calcium-k .
You seem to cover a lot of ground with your job , do you ever get to the Brantford area ? If you do and have the time I would be happy to show you my Ha gear and show how the mods work .

Thanks Mike! As for the Calcium-K, I am saving my nickels (no more pennies :lol:). Could be a while at the price of them!

I do cover a fair amount of territory. However, I haven't been in Brantford for a while now. The closest I come is on Wednesday; I do from Elmira down to K/W Cambridge area (I pass KW Telescopes every week) and south to Paris. Probably not far from you.
However, weekends are good too. If you'd have me, I'd be happy to pay a visit for sure! I'm intrigued with what you have, and would love to learn first hand from someone such as yourself. Not to mention actually meeting a member on this forum; I think that would be really cool. I'll even bring the beer... ;)

BTW, how was your weather today (Friday)? Seems to me I had the A/C on in the truck on Wednesday as I was melting. Today I was in King City/Bolton, -5C (23F) and this was going on at 10AM; it only got worse:

May_28_2021.jpg

May 28th, wow. I hope you didn't have to break out the shovel :lol:

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Hi Mark we will definitely set something up , I am in the country 10 mins. off the 403 from the Rest Acres Rd exit , close to Paris . I am retired and usually around so just let me know what works for you and I will PM you my address .
It wasn't quite as bad down here + 10 but with a steady cold rain . Me and my furry friend got soaked , she takes me for a walk every morning and doesn't care what the weather is doing . :lol:
IMG_3024.JPG
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8