TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

The Sun on May 12th

Post by TheButcher »

Hey all,

Here my 2nd attempt using Solsearcher's tilt technique and it works great I must say :) The rings were gone. I also got my zwo tilt adapter and I think they were gone as well, but have yet to process them as well as the others I did that day.

But here is the sun on May 12th with my SVX 80T-R and Quark Chromosphere with a ZEQ25 Mount and a ZWO174mm with ZWO IR/Cut in front of the Baader T2/T2 Prism Diagonal.

I think it was around 4 pm and the seeing was below average. I captured 10 seconds at 10ms exposure with a gain of around 240 for the Chromosphere. Then for the Prom I did a 10 sec at 10ms exposure with a gain of 400 using Fire Capture. I think the frame rate was about 100FPS with the 174mm.

I will get around to yesterdays processing and see how the tilt adjust worked out. I watched the .ser files and didn't see anything. But anyway here is the image with the camera tilted by loosening the camera screw a bit from the Quark and pulled it back a bit and retightened so it had a tilt to it.

For Processing. I used the top 25% out of about 1000 frames for each in AS3, then went over to Registax for wavelets. Then to PS for the color and finish it up. Also, I was having a tough time with the Prom in trying to get it Orange/Yellow while maintaining a dark background, So I think I overprocessed the prom

Thanks for Looking and thanks for the Help All in starting Solar imaging :)

Here is the image at my site for a larger view and Zoomable https://astronebula.com/the-sun-on-may-12th-2020/

Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: The Sun on May 12th

Post by Thefatkitty »

OK, wow!! You definitely got rid of the Newton rings for sure! I have no experience with HA, but that is an excellent image; so much detail.

Thanks for sharing that and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very well done , thx
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Well done sir !! You are catching on to this quickly . The only thing that I can see is that the tuning is a bit uneven , Quarks take time to adjust when you change the settings and it also takes some time with them to find the settings that will work best for your environment . Keep experimenting with the settings you should be able to obtain even lighting across the field . You are off to an excellent start and I am looking forward to seeing more images .
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Solsearcher wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:06 am Well done sir !! You are catching on to this quickly . The only thing that I can see is that the tuning is a bit uneven , Quarks take time to adjust when you change the settings and it also takes some time with them to find the settings that will work best for your environment . Keep experimenting with the settings you should be able to obtain even lighting across the field . You are off to an excellent start and I am looking forward to seeing more images .
Thanks, Solsearcher and All :)

I was wondering about the evenness of the surface and the white parts. Yesterday I actually just started to play with the tuning as it was sunnier than my first and second day. I will keep working on that until I get it to where it should be :) I also noticed when I played with the tuning that when I turned the knob to around 9:00 I was getting a better result, but so far just tried a few positions.

Thanks Again for the tips and compliments :)
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

A wonderful solar image and it really looks super on the astronebula link. Lots of granularity and details in your capture. Thanks for sharing the view with us, and keep up the great work.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Beautiful capture 👍
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

I pretty much agreed with what Marshall said here, great detail coming through and a massive leap forward.
Mentored by Keith, Mike, John and Bill. (The old guard) and forever grateful.
PST mod stage 2 - Quark on extended loan and yet to repay with value ;)
Camera- ASi 174 mono no tilt required.
BF10,15,30 straight through with baader ffc. (looking to replace the rusted IFT on 10 + 15 with a maier replacement)
Lots of nighttime scopes and stuff but focus on the sun.