TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

My First Light for Solar Imaging

Post by TheButcher »

Hey all,

Here is my first light for me, my Quark Daystar Chromosphere/174mm/Telvue Sol Searcher and ZEQ25 Mount set up. I usedit with my Stellar Vue SVX80TR refractor with a Badar T2/T2 Diagonal.

The Quark went into the Baader T2/T2 Diagonal with a 2" 1.25" adapter and I had a WO 1.25" nose piece going into the focuser, as I am still waiting on a two inch version end to go into the focuser to be delivered. Now I know it has Newton Rings and I am looking for the best way to get rid of them. Any Suggestions?

For processing, I put both Chromo and proms in Registax and the rest I did with Photoshop playing around. For color I did do the Levels and changing the RGB values in the middle and then put it into the PS Camera Raw filter.

But what a day I started out at 3pm and realized I forgot my Laptop Box for cover so I rigged up some Cardboard I had in my trunk and ducktape then I realized I forgot the Plug for the Quark, but luckily I had a spare USB Plug in my bag. But finally I got the Sun on target around 6pm. I was fighting the mostly cloudy sky and I didn't have a good enough polar align so it drifted a lot. So the first goal was to align my Telvue Sol Searcher which I finally did. But towards the end it became partly cloudy and was able to get my first image, I was able to shoot about (12) 10 seconds @ 10ms of them until the sun fell behind the trees. I took the proms at high gain of 400 and the Chromosphere at 150-200 I think.

Anyway here it is and I would love advice on how to get rid of these rings, if anyone has any cheap alternatives or do I just get the Daystar tilt adapter?

Thanks for looking and I look forward on how to get rid of the Newton Rings. :)

Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Re: My First Light for Solar Imaging

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Very nice start :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

I definitely agree a very good first attempt ! For the dreaded newton rings try leaving the eyepiece thumbscrew for the Quark or camera slightly loose to allow a bit of tilt , quite often this is all that it takes .
You are off to a good start and earlier in the day is better for solar imaging
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Happy Parrot »

Nice image!
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

well done , thx
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

That's a great first light solar image. Newton rings and all!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Solsearcher wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:37 am I definitely agree a very good first attempt ! For the dreaded newton rings try leaving the eyepiece thumbscrew for the Quark or camera slightly loose to allow a bit of tilt , quite often this is all that it takes .
You are off to a good start and earlier in the day is better for solar imaging
Thanks All :)

And thanks for the tip with leaving it a little loose. I will try that out first which would be great if it works well.

I also saw the ZWO tilt II adjuster for $48 which I don't mind if that helps too and then they have the daystar Eliminator thing for $175 (Ouch).

But I will definitely try your method first but have you or anyone tried the ZWO Tilt II adjuster or Daystar Tilt Eliminator?
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

I have seen the tilt adapters but haven't needed one a slight tip of the camera in the eyepiece holder will usually get rid of them .
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Wow, I know I'd be pleased with that; nicely done! I wish I could offer some advice, but I'd have to think Solsearcher would know :D

Again, great pic!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Very nice first image 👍
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

FRAZ Scotland
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

Congratulations on your first light.

- A tilt adapter is a worthwhile purchase but that seems steep price for what it is tbh.
- If you are using firecapture to capture the data then be sure to set yourself up with a flat, a good step for leveling out your variable lighting. ( I use Firecapture, Autostakkert and IMPPG. I can offer advice on any of those and reccommend them.)
- You already know to get your alignment as good as you can, collect as much data as you are able in one setting. DATA IS KING.
- Experiment, experiment, experiment, having restarted I took many weeks to get something i was happy with. Quarks can be fiddly so don't give up you have good equipment and I expect we will see big steps in time.
Mentored by Keith, Mike, John and Bill. (The old guard) and forever grateful.

Spending obscene amounts of money building a big fracking solar telescope.
(Trying my best not to curse or swear :) )
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1043

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

I had the same issue with my ASI174MM and the Quark. I got the ZWO tilt adapter and it fixed the problem!

Congrats on the first light.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Gordon wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:41 pm I had the same issue with my ASI174MM and the Quark. I got the ZWO tilt adapter and it fixed the problem!

Congrats on the first light.
Thanks, Gordon and All,

I just ordered the ZWO Tilt Adjuster for $48 the other day and should be arriving hopefully by Midday tomorrow :) I opted for the 2 day shipping since I will be away this weekend and gonna bring my Solar setup with me.

And today I tried Solsearcher's Tilt method and just got back from a 4-hour session, It worked pretty well I think as I didn't see it in the preview, but won't know until I process them. But WIth the 174mm without tilting it, I definitely saw the rings again on the preview, but not after moving the camera around like Sol searcher said they disappeared. And tomorrow should be mostly sunny hopefully :) and just hoping UPS comes early enough so I can use it.