Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

A somewhat sunny Sunday

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hey all, hope your good.

Today (Sunday) was forecast to be clear until around noon. And for the first time in a while, the forecast actually came to pass.

Yesterday I took some shots of our active Sun at about 10:30AM. I wasn't overly thrilled with them; I'm still struggling with finding a nice mix of ISO and exposure time with this. Mty old Canon T3 was easy; ISO 100 and 1/1000th second exposure. Perfect combination. On this camera, my Canon T2i, that combination results in a disc you can barely see. So I've had it up at ISO 800 with 1/800th sec exp. However, I find this, though bright enough, brings out a lot of sensor noise which is a PITA to work with.

This morning I thought to try the settings at ISO 400 and from 1/400th to 1/800th sec exposure. I tried this at just before 10AM, processed them all, and was very pleased with the results at 1/640th sec, so I went with that for today.
Yesterday I took 20 exposures that I stacked into my final image at 10:31AM. This morning, I waited until 10:31AM, and took 20 exposures which I stacked as well. I was curious to see how much the Sun had rotated in 24 hours.

This is today's Sun; with AR2787, 86 and 85. AR2783 has disappeared off the disc for me.

And this is a stacked comparison of how much the Sun rotated in a day. I figure it takes about 7-8 days for a spot to show up on one edge and disappear off the other; of course that depends where on the disc it is. Throw in the fact too that the Sun is fluid, so that rotation rate may vary as well... Makes me want to do some research...! AR2786 and 85 are the prominent ones; AR2783 is only in one spot (here yesterday, gone today), and if you squint at about the 9-10 o'clock position you can sort of see AR2787. It's becoming more of a speck, not a spot...

We had lunch, then went to my wife's mother's (Frances) place. My wife's father died just over a month ago, and this was the first time we all went out since then. My wife's brother and his wife were there as well. Before Sam (my wife's father died) we shared some quality time and the day he passed, we shared a community bottle of whiskey. After that was finished, we were all talking and my wife noticed that her father was very still.... Being the proud Irishman he was, this was what he wanted. Going out on good times. There's been days when I'm driving over 60 miles (100km's) to my next call, just me, my Ranger and the endless highway, and I start thinking of that last day... I smile to myself and wipe away the tears.

Frances looked tired, but she needed/wanted the company. She's a good woman and I know she'll be OK, even though her companion of 66 years is gone. She's got such good memories :D

She lives in Burlington, Ontario, which is about 100 miles (160km's) away. She lives in a condo facing lake Ontario. Hamilton is to the right, with the Niagara region facing straight ahead (due south) in this picture:

It's just over 50 miles (86km's) to drive there from where she is, and probably 30-35 miles (48-53km's) as the crow flies to Niagara Falls from there. Here's a map; the red dot is where my wife's mum lives. Gives a perspective of how far away Niagara falls is:

After dinner, I went out on the porch (4th story) with my brother-in-law, Bob; he had a cigar and we both had a beer. Even though it was cloudy out, we could easily make out the glow from the falls. It even showed up in a picture on my iPhone 8. It's pretty much dead center; look for the supernova glow...

I'm glad I don't live there :lol:

After a bit more to drink (my wife was driving) and dessert, it was time to head out. But before we did, Frances wanted to impart a few things to me. She really wanted me to have these binoculars. Her and Sam both know/knew my passion for both astronomy and quality optics. I'm not sure how old these are, but I know they've had them for years. Always sitting on a window sill. I've known my wife for 47 years (we were 7 & 8 when we met), and I could swear they've always been there....

The views through these are better that anything I have. Seriously, I've seen the Milky Way from there over lake Ontario on a good night, and the views are stunning. And Japanese glass to boot, which is always a thing for me.

But I really couldn't take them. Her and Sam used those a lot together, and I have to think she'll be sitting alone one night, wishing she had them. That's just me, and for the moment, I have enough of my coveted Japanese optics at home. I explained that to her and said I'd rather use them when I'm over at her place. I think that made her happy :D

However, she did insist I take two coats of his. He was in the British Merchant Marines in WW2; he's done the Atlantic over 50 times both ways. Sunk once by a U-boat and rescued. All that to say he's always had a black trenchcoat, and for formal it was a beige one. We're both the same size/build, and they fit me perfectly. They're both made by Massimo. I'm not overly familiar with clothes brands (Levi's is it) but they seem to be really good quality; I've never worn anything like that that's fit so well.

I mostly wear clothes that are either black, grey, or dark blue, as does my daughter. Not that we're negative or dark :lol:, it's what we prefer. So after trying both on, I walked out with the black one on, and said to Sarah and Jackie, so, what do you think?

Jackie said, Hon, that looks great on you! But try to smile when you walk into gas stations/convenience stores or they'll be reaching under the counter... I looked at Sarah and she said, Daddy, either covert ops or Pumped up Kicks :lol:

I got gas on way home, and smiled under my face-mask when I went to pay, which is also black. The attendant seemed to notice and be relieved when I did that... ;)

I hope you all have a good night/day, and all our best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: A somewhat sunny Sunday

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Mark, that is a beautiful post. I felt your emotion and it got me quite teary too.

I really like your postings - please keep them coming :smile:
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Mark,

That was a really nice and wonderful post. I feel as we just had a warm conversation.

You have a wonderful gift for relating warm feeling into your writing.

Thanks for sharing your day and family with us. Your solar images are fine as they usually are and I really was impressed with the changed you recorded and reported on the solarscape. Amazing!

You are a good man Mark! Thanks for sharing your day with us and take care buddy!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

a very touching post, thx
ps, I like your photo of the sun.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Wonderful post, Mark! Thank you for sharing your family story with us... Very touching.:)

Those two images are very good. The stacked one dramatically shows the rotation... excellent idea!

Keep up the good work.:)

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

You have the way with words - and sun, obviously.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Mark. You put together a wonderful post read here. I greatly enjoyed reading it and the included solar images too. Thanks so much for sharing this with us on here Mark, keep up the great work, and the kindest of wishes to you and also to your family.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Hi Mark, you are a great communicator, we are all carried along by your prose. You touch on many things we all encounter as life speeds on.

Not only that, you sprinkle us with sunshine. Thank you sir, long may you continue. :clap:
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447