Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

The ball of gas we orbit and the rock that orbits us

Post by Thefatkitty »

Wow, I really didn't think that title would fit :shock:

I've been looking forward to today as 1) it's saturday and 2) it was supposed to be crystal clear according to all forecasts. See how I threw the word "was" into that? Yeah, so you can correctly assume it really wasn't.Well, not too bad, just not a cold, crisp, clear day. Still a fair amount of humidity in the air, which lent a bit of a haze to the sky.

Do you know what I've noticed since I began my adventures with ol' Sol about four years ago? Just how much it sinks to the south in winter. I know why, but until I began looking at/photographing it in white light, I never realized just how much!

Yup, the winter solstice will be an all-time low for the Sun... :lol: I know, that was bad :whistle:

Even though I knew it wasn't the best of conditions out, I had nothing better to do at about 10:30 this morning, so I took 20 shots with my Canon T2i in a C80-HD with Baader film, and processed with PIPP, AS3 and ImPPG. You can see AR2787, 86, 85 and 83 from left to right; AR2786 being the big one. Not my best, but I haven't seen this much activity on the Sun at once since 2017. Let the good times roll! I was hoping to catch the Sun later in the day, but the haze thickened up and took care of that.

The rest of the day I did pretty much nothing and enjoyed it immensely. After dinner I figured I should go retrieve my scope which was still sitting outside. Since the Moon was up in the east, I thought why not? and got my camera. It's at 98% full; not an easy target, but it came out OK. I used ISO 400 and 1/640th sec exposure.

This is done with Registax, which, in colour, shows off the nice cheesy achro tinge :lol:

And that's been my day. Later I'm going to go start watching season 3 of the X-Files; for some reason I've been bingeing (or binging; seems both are right) on it at night after work/dinner. I remember watching it when it came out every Friday night.
I would like to be outside, but the skies started with the clouds after the Moon pics, and even if it was clear the Moon kinda ruins it at this phase. TV it is!

Have a good day/night and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: The ball of gas we orbit and the rock that orbits us

Post by Juno16 »

Beautiful images Mark with a nice write to boot!

Thanks and enjoy the X-files!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very nice take , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Your scope dealt with the haze very well , some very nice detail in both images I must have been lucky down where I am , it was cloudy but the breaks in between were fairly clean .
I have a new issue with the winter solstice . In the summer I can catch the sun just outside my garage (where my scopes live) In the winter I must set up beyond a tree line about 40' from my garage . I know that doesn't sound like a big deal and it never used to be . During the last round of activity I had no problem shoveling a path through the snow and clearing a area to set up , 3 winters have passed since I have done this and I am not sure I will still have it in me for winter imaging . Funny thing about ageing everything that was no problem to lift starts to get heavier , I think my winter imaging will now depend on the kind of winter we get up here , and how much you guys tease me with your images !!
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Mark, you captured some awesome details in that solar shot. Very well done! Thanks much for the shares.

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Really nice Mark, I hope your weekend has been relaxing :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people