Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

AR2776

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi all, hope things are well with you.

Today was unseasonably warm, with the temperature reaching 75F (24C). Very foggy until about 10:30, then the Sun came out and my sweater came off. Turned into a great day; hard to believe it's going to drop to 43F (6C) tonight, and just slightly warmer tomorrow.

Heading home from Kitchener, Ont was just great. Fall colours, not much traffic, blue skies.... At 3:15 I was about 30 minutes from home when I heard on the radio a "special weather statement". Not good when you've got the stereo at 11 with the Smashing Pumpkins' 1979. It's meant to get your attention I know; but seriously, why does it have to be so much louder? Anyways, turned out there was a tornado watch in an area about 60 miles (95Km's) from where I live. Really? I'm having the warmest sunniest day since the start of October. Turned out to just be light hail for a bit.

Got in, said hi to my wife and daughter units :lol: and went downstairs to get my C80-HD and Baader solar film. According to Spaceweather.com, there is another sunspot forming on the top half of the disc just to the left of center.

Took that outside, looked up, and saw the sky now had white haze with clouds rolling in from the west. Are you kidding me??!! Why is my luck like this; clear most of the day, get home, and everything changes. C'est la vie.

Mounting all that on my old CG4, I took 25 pics with my Canon T2i at ISO 800 and 1/1600 sec exp. Eleven of those came out OK enough to stack, and out of those, 75% made it through AS3.

But it looks to me like there might be two sunspots forming instead of just one. I'm no expert, but time will tell. I'll never know as I'm in for crappy weather for the next while it seems.

The end result; I'm not thrilled with it.
Sun_23-10-2020.jpg

Thanks for reading, have a great night/day!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: AR2776

Post by Juno16 »

Very nice solar image Mark!

Great surface details.

Very glad that you got an opportunity to get out before the lousy weather sets it!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Nice work, Mark.:)

I know you were interested to see how Gigapixel AI would handle white-light images, so I thought you might like a "preview".

Since your posted image above is a JPEG, I wanted to eliminate any JPG compression artifacts first... I pulled the image from this post and ran it thru Topaz Labs JPEG to RAW AI. (Something that wouldn't be needed with an image direct from the cam.) That gave me a TIFF 2200x2200 pixels.

I ran that file through Gigapixel AI at 4x with no sharpening... That gave me 8800x8800 pixels.

I then cropped the sunspot in the SW quadrant 691x1069 pixels and converted it back to a JPEG for the web. I also threw my "standard" color scheme on it. Here are the two results...
MARK IMAGE 4X IN GIGAPIXEL AI.jpg
MARK IMAGE 4X IN GIGAPIXEL AI COLORED.jpg
Nice job, Mate! :) I didn't mean to "steal your thread", but you asked about GP in another thread.:)

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

That's a really interesting Gigapixel AI process John.

Further investigation will have to be done!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice image Mark....
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Greenman »

Neat spot Mark (sorry I cannot resist a pun), keep safe with that adverse weather coming.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Greenman wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:54 pm Neat spot Mark (sorry I cannot resist a pun), keep safe with that adverse weather coming.
:lol:!!!! Best laugh all day Tony, much needed. Thanks man!

BTW, sorry for never getting back to you on your last PM, I've been so meaning to. But I did show it to my wife when I got it, and she said, "There's more people like you who cut themselves up accidentally and bleed everywhere? His poor wife...".
So your wife has my wife's sympathy, and as for you and me, well... :lol:

All the best buddy,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC