Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Sept 23rd Sun and Moon

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi all, hope all is good :D

About a month ago, it seemed Solar Cycle 25 was starting. Then, phhht...!! It's been almost a month without any sunspot activity, but three days ago (Sept 20th), NASA's STEREO-A spacecraft detected some activity on the side of the Sun we can't see. A UV hotspot which may be alive and kicking when it turns towards us. I for one can only hope.

This morning I read on Spaceweather.com that there was some magnetic activity where a new sunspot could form. This was a at 4:30AM EST. After a day of work and very clear skies, I got in about 5PM and was greeted with a somewhat milky white sky, of course prominent to the west where the Sun was setting.

I was curious as to whether I could see this "forming spot", even with the skies. Took out my C80-HD, Canon T2i, and Baader solar film. I set the camera to my usual ISO 100 and 1/1000th sec exposure. I've done this enough to know what works.

Well, tonight was an exception. Long story short, my third time out with the Sun rapidly disappearing behind the trees to the west, I had to crank the exposure up to 1/400 second just to get some brightness. In hindsight, leaving the exposure at 1/1000 sec and cranking up the ISO would probably have resulted in a better stack.

If you squint, you can see the activity on the left side of the disc between the 10-11 o' clock position. I also added some color to that sorry stack so maybe it's a little more prominent. And it looks like there may be two sunspots forming in all that... Time will tell.
Sun_23_09_2020.jpg
Sun_23_09_2020_A.jpg

I took a shot of the waxing quarter Moon about four hours later. Same crappy skies ;)
Moon_23_09_2020.jpg

And for the reason eclipses happen is the same reason I can have fun with this... :lol:
SunMoon_23_09_2020s.jpg

Alrighty. Thanks for looking, hope your day/night fares better than mine, and all the best!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Sept 23rd Sun and Moon

Post by Lowjiber »

That is good stuff, Mark.:) The white light capture caught the plage area very well. Hopefully, we'll get a sunspot out of that one.

I like the touch of color added to define the area.

The Moon shot is very nice too. Great details of the sunlight just touching the edges of the craters... very nice.:)

When I got to the last one, my keyboard almost took a coffee-shower. Great shot! Astrophysicists have it all wrong, but you've revealed the true cause of eclipses.:lol:

Thanks for sharing your work... I enjoyed it very much.

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Thats cool! :D
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Lowjiber wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:03 am That is good stuff, Mark.:) The white light capture caught the plage area very well. Hopefully, we'll get a sunspot out of that one.

I like the touch of color added to define the area.

The Moon shot is very nice too. Great details of the sunlight just touching the edges of the craters... very nice.:)

When I got to the last one, my keyboard almost took a coffee-shower. Great shot! Astrophysicists have it all wrong, but you've revealed the true cause of eclipses.:lol:

Thanks for sharing your work... I enjoyed it very much.

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
Thanks John! Nice to hear from you and thanks for the compliments! And when my life calms down a bit, I'll give you a shout one of these weekends... I'm an early riser as well :D Seems yesterday, according to Spaceweather.com, there was a spot (though I see two dark spots) and today it's gone. Of course; my skies are clear here so far. Always the way...
When I got to the last one, my keyboard almost took a coffee-shower
:lol:!!! Sorry for that, but it was late, I was tired, and sometimes it's fun to play with layers in PSP :D

Have a great night, all our best to you and yours, and here's hoping ol' Sol ramps up!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Jockinireland wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:06 pm Thats cool! :D
Thanks David, and nice to hear from you as well! :D I've quite liked the images you've posted; better time of year for you for sure. No more almost-midnight Sun....

All the best,
Mark