Post your nightscape photos here.
Paramount
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

"Selfie" at Ribblehead Viaduct

Post by Paramount »

Hi
During my frequent visits into the depth of the Yorkshire Dales to shoot time lapse of the night sky I general select one or two pictures from several hundred to use as a single nightscape shot. As I haven't really got into composite images yet, all of these images are single shot taken in RAW and then processed in Lightroom with final tweaking in Photoshop. Below is an example when I was at Ribblehead Viaduct earlier this year. This is a "selfie" shot of me stood at the monument by the viaduct using my head torch pointing skywards. It was taken with my Sony A7Sii and Samyang 12mm f2.8 fisheye lens with one exposure of 30 seconds at f2.8 and ISO6400. This shows that relatively good images can be taken at night without spending huge amounts of money
Best wishes
Gordon
Attachments
Ribblehead Viaduct selfie small.jpg
Currently using Sony A7iii and A7Sii, Samyang 12mm f2.8 fisheye and 24mm f1.4 lenses, Dynamic Perceptions Stage One carbon slider with Sapphire Pro pan and tilt head, Timelapse +view "Holy Grail" intervalometer
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: "Selfie" at Ribblehead Viaduct

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Sweet. Very nice. I love the contrasting colors.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Peter802
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Peter802 »

A great image Gordon.
Thank you for sharing.
Clear Skies.
Regards,

Peter
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

very nice!, i'm curious how you got a rich starfield outside the milky way , a dark site or location in the sky ? a bit of twilight as well in the image ?
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Paramount
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Paramount »

yobbo89 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:27 pm very nice!, i'm curious how you got a rich starfield outside the milky way , a dark site or location in the sky ? a bit of twilight as well in the image ?
The rich starfield is partly due to the fact that the main dense area of stars running from top left to middle is part of the winter milky way. The site is fairly dark although light pollution from 10 to 20 miles away is visible during long exposures. This particular image was taken at about 1am in January so there is no twilight, an hour later a crescent moon rose behind where the camera was positioned and this was sufficient to lighten up the whole scene. This is easily visible if you watch the video clip on my YouTube channel

You have to remember that this image was shot at 30 second exposure at f2.8 and an ISO of 6400 so everything is going to appear much brighter than visible to the naked eye

Gordon
Currently using Sony A7iii and A7Sii, Samyang 12mm f2.8 fisheye and 24mm f1.4 lenses, Dynamic Perceptions Stage One carbon slider with Sapphire Pro pan and tilt head, Timelapse +view "Holy Grail" intervalometer
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Paramount wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:36 pm
yobbo89 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:27 pm very nice!, i'm curious how you got a rich starfield outside the milky way , a dark site or location in the sky ? a bit of twilight as well in the image ?
The rich starfield is partly due to the fact that the main dense area of stars running from top left to middle is part of the winter milky way. The site is fairly dark although light pollution from 10 to 20 miles away is visible during long exposures. This particular image was taken at about 1am in January so there is no twilight, an hour later a crescent moon rose behind where the camera was positioned and this was sufficient to lighten up the whole scene. This is easily visible if you watch the video clip on my YouTube channel

You have to remember that this image was shot at 30 second exposure at f2.8 and an ISO of 6400 so everything is going to appear much brighter than visible to the naked eye

Gordon
Thanks, I'll watch the video, I hear that winter can be a bit anoying for astronomy in the uk even though winter means more night time but because of the angle of the sun and the latitude produces longer astronomy twilight time hence it can take a few hours after sun set to reach total sky darkness.hence questioning the sky glow, I've been doing astrophotography for years now, sorry if I sound like a bit of an armature, i certainly know how photography works haha.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Paramount
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Paramount »

yobbo89 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:19 am
Paramount wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:36 pm

Gordon
Thanks, I'll watch the video, I hear that winter can be a bit anoying for astronomy in the uk even though winter means more night time but because of the angle of the sun and the latitude produces longer astronomy twilight time hence it can take a few hours after sun set to reach total sky darkness.hence questioning the sky glow, I've been doing astrophotography for years now, sorry if I sound like a bit of an armature, i certainly know how photography works haha.
Typically on the day that this was shot the sun set about 3:45 to 4pm and it was dark enough to start shooting around 5pm, the problem I had on this particular night was clouds till 7pm but it was fine after that. Where I live now there is no proper astronomical darkness for about 2 months in the summer although with lower ISO settings time lapse, nightscape and star trails are still possible. I much prefer the winter months as I can get 13-14 hours of shooting done which means the evening is far more productive (I can do 6 time lapse clips, several star trail images, animated star trail clips and nightscape images in one night) especially when my travel to the site is over 3 hours each way. The hour or so wait for it to get dark means it is easier for me to get set up ready for the night although I have arrived in darkness before and used my head torch to set up

Gordon
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

nice time lapse video!