Post your nightscape photos here.
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Firefly lights it up

Post by Kanadalainen »

Mucking around with my old Nikon and the Rokinon 10 mm lens in early evening, and caught this little guy.
Attachments
Early evening firefly.jpg
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Firefly lights it up

Post by Jockinireland »

Hehe, he thinks hes the ISS.

We don't get fireflies in Ireland or where I grew up in Scotland and I've only ever seen them once, walking back from a dusk fishing expedition on a trout stream in New Hampshire
It was one of the most wonderous and entrancing sites I've ever seen. At first I'd no idea what they were as the lifted off from the grass ahead of me. I was so taken by the sight that as soon as I got into my hotel room I called my wife and babbled at her about it for 10 minutes before I remembered she was at home in Switzerland where it was 3 AM. Whoops! Your image took me back to that trout stream Thanks!
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Wow, turn in a UFO report, non-ballistic turns, should make one of those TV specials!

Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

sdbodin wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:15 pm Wow, turn in a UFO report, non-ballistic turns, should make one of those TV specials!

Steve
The only item that went ballistic was a bald eagle that I disturbed from his eyrie (in that very same tree). :lol:
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Jockinireland wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:14 pm Hehe, he thinks hes the ISS.

We don't get fireflies in Ireland or where I grew up in Scotland and I've only ever seen them once, walking back from a dusk fishing expedition on a trout stream in New Hampshire
It was one of the most wonderous and entrancing sites I've ever seen. At first I'd no idea what they were as the lifted off from the grass ahead of me. I was so taken by the sight that as soon as I got into my hotel room I called my wife and babbled at her about it for 10 minutes before I remembered she was at home in Switzerland where it was 3 AM. Whoops! Your image took me back to that trout stream Thanks!
Charming story, thanks for sharing. :)
Ian

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Ian, you sure live in a beautiful place!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Nice capture. I'm a little surprised to see one this late in the season. I guess Canadian fireflies are made of sterner stuff than the ones in the States!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

bobharmony wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:50 am Nice capture. I'm a little surprised to see one this late in the season. I guess Canadian fireflies are made of sterner stuff than the ones in the States!

Bob

Hi Bob, we had a super warm September - anywhere from 25*C to 30*C for weeks(!), through to the 26th or so. Since then its been cold (4-8*C) and raining hard. No bugs of any kind left since late last week.
Ian

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

We had a warm September as well, the warmest on record. All the fireflies around here bugged out in August when lows went into the upper 40's (8-9C) for a couple of nights.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Fun capture, Ian!

Yeah we still have a few stragglers around here this time of year. Always makes me a little sad. There he is, flashing for a mate that will likely never answer...:)

While at the scope, I am used to catching meteors in my peripheral vision. In spring when fireflies begin ramping up, I'll catch one peripherally and look over quickly thinking it is a meteor. Darn things get me every time. :lol:
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Well, I figured it couldn't be an intelligently controlled flying saucer since I don't believe fireflies (i.e. "lightning bugs" down south in Texas where I was born and raised) have an IQ much above, say … a Canadian gnat. Heh!
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Cool capture. I have had them 'get into' some images back when I was using the fast dob.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro