Forces of Nature

Post your nightscape photos here.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Forces of Nature

Post by OzEclipse »

Migrants from Astronomy Forum may recognise this image. Taken on the island of Java in Indonesia 3.5 years ago. I have spent some time reprocessing the image from my original files this weekend. Changes are subtle but I feel important. No change to the sky rendering but I have processed it to lift the shadow detail on the dark landscape which I always felt I left a little too dark..
Forces-of-Nature-Joe-Cali.jpg
My mate Bengt and I left our hotel rooms at about 2am. We had booked a 4wd to take us down from the escarpment down over the lava flow and part way up this hill until the driver had to stop due to the narrow road being choked with parked cars. We then walked a couple of miles up the road ascending about 1000ft in the process until we arrived at the lookout where this photo was taken. I captured seven 30s exposures ISO3200 12mm f4 with a Pentax K5 and Pentax ED12-24 f4 lens.

The dark lower part of the landscape is all seven exposures stacked. The volcanic fumes from Mt Bromo, the red puff from Semeru, the lightning in the clouds and the Milky Way all come from just one of those exposures. We spent more than an hour there just enjoying the dawn view before descending. At sunrise, our driver took us to the base of the Mt Bromo rim walk. It was the first day the walk was opened after some months of eruptions. Bengt looked at the rim and asked if I was ready. I looked at the fumes drifting down the hill and knowing how toxic SO2 fumes are said that nobody told the volcano the walk was opened and that I didn't think it was a good idea. Bengt said, "you only live once." He walked up to the rim and I stayed down to shoot landscapes on the lava flow. While he was up there, someone climbed the safety fence and was backing up to the rim to get a selfie. He lost balance and started teetering on the edge and almost fell in. Bengt jumped the fence and pulled him back. After about 90 mins, Bengt descended feeling very nauseous from the fumes. He continued feeling ill for the remainder of the day.

Joe Cali
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Forces of Nature

Post by bladekeeper »

Such an amazing image, Joe! Good to see it again, and better than ever. :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Hi Joe.
I cannot remember what this image looked like on AF, but what you have here is very good. The light in the forground terrestrial seems perfect to me.
Your account of the capture and the detail of the shoot is a treat to read. 😊
Thank you for posting and sharing your adventure.
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

This is just amazing. Thanks Joe!

Ian
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.