Ethics in Night Photography

Post your nightscape photos here.
SparWeb Canada
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Ethics in Night Photography

Post by SparWeb »

Here's an article from Roger Clark's website that is an interesting extension of his earlier writings:

https://clarkvision.com/articles/ethics ... otography/

Clark has long been irritated by rude people sharing sites where he is taking pictures. Their actions (eg. light-painting) often ruin the scene that he's trying to compose in natural light. The article is worth a read if you are traveling to a public park, or other place you may have to share with other people. It may help you prepare for pushy/ignorant people with blinding lasers and high-power flashlights during your session, whether you went for nightscape photography or just dark-sky observing.

I also share Clark's irritation with fakery in photography in general, and nightscape photography seems to invite many photographers to do silly or even dishonest things.
Steven Fahey
51.248N, 113.53W, 995m ASL
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IALBERTA147
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount
dcrowson United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Ethics in Night Photography

Post by dcrowson »

I read through this and I can understand the frustration but then again I wonder what makes Clark's photography more important that than the others especially on public land? When dealing with the public, you're going to get all kinds and it is safe to say that 99.9 percent of them don't care about astronomy.