Post by John Donne »

Mercury Vapor Sky.jpg
12/27/2021
Nikon D810
18mm Lens
ISO 1600
f3.5
4.3 sec
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Mercury Vapor Sky

Post by messier 111 »

very very nice , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Mark. It is so sad but true. And the newer Sodium Vapor lights are just as bad only they project a yellow light into the sky. Thanks for the great example of this light pollution in your photo Mark and maybe someday we will solve this problem.
https://www.darksky.org/
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Makuser wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:41 pm Hi Mark. It is so sad but true. And the newer Sodium Vapor lights are just as bad only they project a yellow light into the sky. Thanks for the great example of this light pollution in your photo Mark and maybe someday we will solve this problem.
https://www.darksky.org/
I kinda like it out here in the wide open spaces Marshall.
We call it light polution but it is not polution.

It is light...😊
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.

I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

A lot of unnecessary light pollutes the night skies. I wish every community/town/city would take a lesson from what Flagstaff, AZ has done. They have several major working observatories in the vicinity so they have light pollution ordinances on board that prevent a good bit of it. All outdoor night lights are shielded, directing the light DOWN towards the ground where it's needed and outdoor business signs are made in a way that prevents much of the light from going UP. Any business that is closed at night has to turn its lights off.
With the newer full spectrum LED lighting that is starting to be introduced in roadway lighting, full cutoff shields are even more important. These newer LED lights can't be eliminated with a light pollution filter like the older Mercury and Sodium vapor lights.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Mark, that is so awesome, the whole wide FOV with the clouds lit up from below, and the stars above... Just beautiful. I hear Marshall on the LP, but such a serene setting and a stunning shot. I'd personally frame that.

I seriously gotta make the drive to Illinois, only 10 hours away... ;)

BTW, I talked to UPS a minute ago, PM forthcoming... :D
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Member of the RASC
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

AstroBee wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:13 pm A lot of unnecessary light pollutes the night skies. I wish every community/town/city would take a lesson from what Flagstaff, AZ has done. They have several major working observatories in the vicinity so they have light pollution ordinances on board that prevent a good bit of it. All outdoor night lights are shielded, directing the light DOWN towards the ground where it's needed and outdoor business signs are made in a way that prevents much of the light from going UP. Any business that is closed at night has to turn its lights off.
With the newer full spectrum LED lighting that is starting to be introduced in roadway lighting, full cutoff shields are even more important. These newer LED lights can't be eliminated with a light pollution filter like the older Mercury and Sodium vapor lights.
I do understand this.

I do not think I would have gotten started in this activity if I lived in a large metro area.

I tried to view in Elgin Illinois in my brothers back yard. If I had not been running a go-to mount I would not have been able to navigate.

So yes... Marshall is correct...light polution.

But I did not photograph this light as a criticism of the light or the farmer who is using it.

I was photographing that evening what I saw as a beautiful sky. It is not a sky in which one would conveniently practice astrohotography...but then again I was able to capture some nice stars.

I am fornunate to have a "dark site" 30 minutes away from which I observe. This image was taken on my way back from that site.

It is nice that cities consider those big observatories. 👍

I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Thefatkitty wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:51 pm Mark, that is so awesome, the whole wide FOV with the clouds lit up from below, and the stars above... Just beautiful. I hear Marshall on the LP, but such a serene setting and a stunning shot. I'd personally frame that.

I seriously gotta make the drive to Illinois, only 10 hours away... ;)

BTW, I talked to UPS a minute ago, PM forthcoming... :D
You are WELCOME here any time Mark. I have accomodations for all of you. Seriously...any time !

And thank you for your encouraging comment on the "skyview"

I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

John Donne wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm
You are WELCOME here any time Mark. I have accomodations for all of you. Seriously...any time !

And thank you for your encouraging comment on the "skyview"

No problem, love that pic and also; thank you but careful what you wish for buddy, it might happen next summer :lol:

It would be fun to have a "Woodstock" event where we all got together and met each other in person. OK, so who's got the farmland??

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Member of the RASC
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

That is really a beautiful photo Mark!

Yeah, it is lighting, but it is really a beautiful area. You are fortunate to live in such a beautiful place!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

John Donne wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:52 pm I do not think I would have gotten started in this activity if I lived in a large metro area.
I hear that. I doubt I would have ever started as a kid if I hadn't been living under B4 skies with B2-B3 just a short distance away.
I tried to view in Elgin Illinois in my brothers back yard. If I had not been running a go-to mount I would not have been able to navigate.
:lol: Welcome to my world - I'm not far from there. Mag 3 stars is as good as it gets, as in, "What Little Dipper?"
I was photographing that evening what I saw as a beautiful sky. It is not a sky in which one would conveniently practice astrohotography...but then again I was able to capture some nice stars.
I think it's a great shot. 🤩
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

@pakarinen

Thank you Pakarinen.
The Penfield site at its best, so far as I have experienced, is a high B4. It has potential for B3.
The trouble here is the humidity in the air and the heat coming off the cornfields at night in the summer. I can judge the transparency quality of the sky to some extent by observing the reach of the light dome from Rantoul. Highest quality has NO light dome.
Usually the middle fall, after harvest dust has cleared, has some nice clear stable skies and I enjoy this if the temp does not drop too low. My buddy and I used always to keep each other going for long outings of viewing and astrophotography.
It is amazing to me how my tolerance for cold and endurance of energy has diminished over the last 4 years.

Clear skies to you.

I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

I would rate this as a classical Nightscape, so we may frown at the effect, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :D
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447