Baurice
Vendor
Vendor
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Head-on Meteor

Post by Baurice »

A few days ago, I saw a thread about a mystery object and many people thought that it could be a head-on meteor. That the image was very wide-field, so that made a head-on explanation more likely. I'm sorry to the original poster I couldn't find it.

I was trying to catch Perseid meteors (zero so far this year!) when I caught what looked like a "guest star"/UFO in Ursa Minor. By taking a closer look and adjusting the contrast, I could see a faint trail. Of course, this is not definitive proof of anything but it tips the odds somewhat.

I have also caught similar events while doing meteor or deep sky shots.

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Head-on Meteor

Post by KathyNS »

Nice!

That might have been my thread you were thinking of: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=19776
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

KathyNS wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:54 am Nice!

That might have been my thread you were thinking of: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=19776
Hi Kathy,

Yes, it was your thread. I thought about camera artifacts, etc but (by looking more closely) it shows a faint trail, along with the flash. On the East Midlands Stargazers forum, there is a guy called Graham who has set up a meteor detector. I will let you know if he had a hit at the same time.

Cheers,

Phil.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Baurice wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:46 am I will let you know if he had a hit at the same time.
At the same time as ... your meteor or mine? For yours, he might. For mine, he won't.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

KathyNS wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:56 am
Baurice wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:46 am I will let you know if he had a hit at the same time.
At the same time as ... your meteor or mine? For yours, he might. For mine, he won't.
I haven't heard yet. I saw a similar Perseid meteor where processing showed a trail on either side. You are right that the radio signal he uses originates in France and he lives in the East Midlands.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Baurice wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:52 pm I was trying to catch Perseid meteors (zero so far this year!) when I caught what looked like a "guest star"/UFO in Ursa Minor. By taking a closer look and adjusting the contrast, I could see a faint trail. Of course, this is not definitive proof of anything but it tips the odds somewhat.
:think: I saw a "guest star" in the bowl of U Minor a couple of months ago. No movement, just moderately bright and then slowly faded out. The time it took to fade puzzled me. Naked eye, so no hard data to look at.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s