Post by OzEclipse »

"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley
You'll forget the sun in his jealous sky as we walk in fields of gold."

Ok ok, I know... it's canola!
Cunningar Bridge-5874-Edit.jpg
Enjoy

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: fields of gold

Post by Makuser »

Hi Joe. I just love those lyrics from Sting. Actually, canola is a Canadian genetically modified rapeseed for it's low content of erucic acid. But by gosh and by golly, you have one great nightscape photograph here. Beautiful sky, foreground, and the "gold". This is superb work Joe, and thanks for sharing this on here with us.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Makuser wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:09 pm Hi Joe. I just love those lyrics from Sting. Actually, canola is a Canadian genetically modified rapeseed for it's low content of erucic acid. But by gosh and by golly, you have one great nightscape photograph here. Beautiful sky, foreground, and the "gold". This is superb work Joe, and thanks for sharing this on here with us.
Thank you Marshall.
I didn't know that about canola. While I was processing this image, I was listening to the radio and they played Fields of Gold. Like you I love the lyrics.

It was taken while I running a field trip for my "Nightscapes and Startrails" photography workshop. It was one very long afternoon/night. I had to choose that area 100km north of Canberra to give us enough time under clear sky. Cloud was predicted to move up from the south during the night. Going 100 km north gave us extra clear sky time until after midnight when the Milky Way sets. I drove out there at 330pm and scoped our prime location, an old deteriorating railway bridge then went out to look for a good canola setting nearby as a second location. It's so dark out there that you can't see the landscape after dark. I marked it on my GPS then drove back to the bridge. After the end of twilight I took some pictures of the Zodiacal light then waited for a couple of hours. Participants were due to arrive at 9pm.

I left my camera in the car and spent the early part of the night helping the 8 participants then as the evening progressed, I had some time to shoot a few images myself. The was a nice fog on the river which was aesthetically pleasing but also causing dew problems. After a couple of hours at the bridge, we moved over to the canola field 7km away. We finished at around 2am and I got home at 3am. Lot's of z's yesterday.

Cheers
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi again Joe. I put up a tribute to you and to your great nightscape capture and two songs that you should enjoy on the Off Topic/Music Forum at:
viewtopic.php?f=28&p=112486#p112486
I hope that you enjoy them.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>