Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) + NLCs extra footage

Post your nightscape photos here.
Paramount
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) + NLCs extra footage

Post by Paramount »

I heard that comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) was starting to fade so as the skies were forecast for clear last night I decided to have another crack at it while I can. I went to the same field as last week and shot a few time lapse clips of which I have selected a few stills as well. I was hoping for some Noctilucent Clouds (NLCs) like I had last week but last night was even better, this is only the second time I've seen them (last week was the first) and early this morning (about 2am) they put on a really good display (all included in the video clip). I have joined last nights data with that of last week. I was particularly pleased that I got the blue ion trail last night, I was using a higher ISO as the comet was quite a bit higher up so light pollution was less of a problem than last week. I used a Sony A7iii with a Samyang 85mm f1.4 using exposures of 6 seconds at f2.8 and ISO between 800 and 6400 and a Sony A7Sii with a Samyang 24mm f1.4 using exposures of 20 seconds at f2.8 and ISO between 800 and 1600. The video can be seen at the link below in 4K

Currently using Sony A7iii and A7Sii, Samyang 12mm f2.8 fisheye and 24mm f1.4 lenses, Dynamic Perceptions Stage One carbon slider with Sapphire Pro pan and tilt head, Timelapse +view "Holy Grail" intervalometer
rocdoc
Moon Ambassador

Re: Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) + NLCs extra footage

Post by rocdoc »

Gorgeous. Thank you for sharing this.
Properly collimated cornea-lens-vitreous optical apparatus, projecting on retinal sensor slightly limited by deuteranomaly, feeding through stock optic nerves into functional primary cortex, processed through frequently misfiring and buggy integrative cortex.
Other instruments: Skyline 8" Dobsonian, on a dob pod; Celestron Omni XLT 120 w GSO crayford focuser and Meade 5000 diagonal on Stellarvue M2C mount and Meade LX70 tripod; Oberwerk Binos: 25x100 Deluxe IF on Benro tripod with Oberwerk 5000 head or Farpoint parallelogram; 10x50 Ultra, usually on 3 Legged Thing Punks Trent monopod with Dolica trigger grip head; 8x42 Sport ED hand held. Main EPs: ES 82º 24mm and 11mm, Celestron Luminos 19mm and 10mm, Meade UWA 14mm, Meade HD-60 6.5mm. Filters: UHC, 13%, blue. Finders: RACI, Telrad, RDF, reticle.
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) + NLCs extra footage

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Outstanding production values. Thank you for sharing!
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite