First attempt with my ASI183MC Pro

Post your Lunar images here.
bigfish
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

First attempt with my ASI183MC Pro

Post by bigfish »

I don't really know what I'm doing but it's fun. :)
Obviously I need more time outside!
By the time I hauled all my equipment outside and setup the clouds moved in. I am amazed how much detail I was able to get through the clouds.
I must be missing a setting or two in FireCapture because the terrible display was super hard to get a good focus, almost impossible. The "focus help" didn't help because I have know idea what it's supposed to do.
I switched to ASICap and was able to focus pretty easily.
One thing happened that I wasn't expecting and It's making me question my sanity. :lol:
When using ASICap, after starting the capture the telescope was tracking the moon. I didn't know ASICap would do this. I don't see any settings for tracking and I wasn't even polar aligned. :think:
I took many sets with different settings just to get familiar with everything. The pictures below were processed using AutoStakkert, about 20% of 100 frames. I didn't do any darks because I didn't know if they were necessary and I forgot anyway.
Any insight into why the moon came out so green I would really appreciate it.
Also how many frames typically make a good moon shot? Is 100 cool or 5000 better?
Attachments
2020-03-08_04_48_47Z_lapl4_ap181_Drizzle15.jpg
2020-03-08_04_34_37Z_lapl4_ap103_conv.jpg
cap.png
Redcat 51, Orion 8"x1000mm Reflector, ASI183MC Pro, ASI533MC Pro, ASI462MC, ASI120 Mini, SVBONY SV106 Guide Scope, ZWO Mini Guide Scope, Skywatcher EQ6 Pro, Sky view Pro.
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: First attempt with my ASI183MC Pro

Post by sdbodin »

Looks good for a first light. Focus is fine. What scope were you using? Looks like a fairly long focal length, since not all the moon is captured. As to number of stacked frames, more is better, but I never do more that 1000, too lazy, I guess. BTW, I use HLVG, hasta la vista green, to get my OSC tamed. OSC sensors have twice as many green pixels as red or blue, free download. I think there is a stand alone as well as a Photoshop plug-in.

Good luck,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Dragonsfire Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Dragonsfire »

Nice images Steve!
Theirs a setting on their so that you dont have the graininess (Bayer setting). I use the same settings always so I tend to forget what they are lol.
Try Registax for stacking, Ive never had great success with AutoS.
Neil
Orion XT8i Dob, ES AR102
9x50 RACI Finder, TELRAD Reflex Sight, Electro Dot Sight RD400X
Agena SWA 38mm 70 FOV 2" EP, Orion 25+10mm Sirius Plossl 52 FOV EP
ES 82* 11mm, 18mm 2", ES 68* 24mm, 6mm, 25mm Ortho. EP, Televue 3X Barlow,CS lens 2.8mm-12mm F1.4
Filters Baader Continuum, UV/IF cut, Lumicon UHC, DGM OIII. ND5/3.8 Kendrick
GX1 Lumix, E-PM2, ASI224mc, SteadyPix Deluxe, iOptron SkyTracker 7.7lb
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Focus looks pretty good to me!

I've not used FireCapture, but there should be some manner of white balance or color balance setting to get the green edged out during capture.

I typically do 1000-frame videos and stack the best 10%. I'm kinda the opposite of Neil, I've had good luck with Autostakkert but can't get Registax to agree with me. :lol:

I do use Registax for wavelet sharpening though. Also, Registax will let you color balance as well.

I'm wondering though, if Autostakkert de-bayered your images properly? I downloaded your second image and ran it through a color balance in StarTools. Seeing some checkerboarding in there along with some red highlights on the craters. Makes me wonder if Autostakkert applied the incorrect bayer matrix.

At any rate, great job on your first attempt with the ASI183!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

bigfish
Mars Ambassador

Post by bigfish »

bladekeeper wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:14 am Focus looks pretty good to me!

I've not used FireCapture, but there should be some manner of white balance or color balance setting to get the green edged out during capture.

I typically do 1000-frame videos and stack the best 10%. I'm kinda the opposite of Neil, I've had good luck with Autostakkert but can't get Registax to agree with me. :lol:

I do use Registax for wavelet sharpening though. Also, Registax will let you color balance as well.

I'm wondering though, if Autostakkert de-bayered your images properly? I downloaded your second image and ran it through a color balance in StarTools. Seeing some checkerboarding in there along with some red highlights on the craters. Makes me wonder if Autostakkert applied the incorrect bayer matrix.

At any rate, great job on your first attempt with the ASI183!
I understand most of what you said but not all of it. :lol:
I'm not sure what checkerboarding is in astrophotography. I'm also a beekeeper and us beekeepers also have checkerboarding in that hobby!
I noticed some vertical lines in the second picture, I'm not sure what caused those.
Attachments
Lines.JPG
Redcat 51, Orion 8"x1000mm Reflector, ASI183MC Pro, ASI533MC Pro, ASI462MC, ASI120 Mini, SVBONY SV106 Guide Scope, ZWO Mini Guide Scope, Skywatcher EQ6 Pro, Sky view Pro.
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Checkerboarding due to the incorrect de-bayer pattern being used can be a little tricky to see. Sometimes you have to get to the right zoom level in or out for it to really show itself.

Those lines are stacking artifacts from some likely bad frames you've got in the stack. You may need to thumb through those in Autostakkert and cull them. :)

Below is your second image after a bit of StarTools color balance. Not sure if the checkerboarding will show here or not. :D
2020-03-08_04_34_37Z_lapl4_ap103_conv2.jpg
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Steve. This was my first lunar attempt using a 90mm Mak-Cassagrain through the diagonal with a Solar Sytem IV camera and Amcap back in 2009. I forgot to remove the Sky-Glow filter from the diagonal and got this poor blue-ish result :lol:
Moon2B.jpg
Now using a ZWO camera and Sharpcap directly through the visual/photo back (on a Mak and maybe with a Barlow), then ported to Registax, you should be able to balance the color.
I really enjoyed your second image Steve, so thanks for sharing this with us, and keep at it.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>