Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

March 1st Quarter ol' Hateful

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hey all, hope you're doing good :D

As with a lot of us, my weather has not been good. It goes from below freezing and cloudy to slightly above freezing and cloudy. My astronomical life has been one sucker hole after another.

Today the temps jumped from -20Cish (-4F) to 5C (41F). With all that came the snow melt, coupled with 1/2" (1cm) of rain. Coming home from work at about 7:30PM, the last thing I expected was clear skies.

After dinner, I took a look outside at about 8:30. It was still clear, though a bit soupy as well. The quarter crescent Moon was sitting right in Orion at the zenith. The sky around the horizon (at least for my south and west view) was just building with clouds. The race is on... :lol:

Long story short, I got my C80-HD, Canon T3, and took 100 pics at ISO 1600 and 1/650th sec exp. Bryan, if you're reading this and ever want to upgrade your current cam and sell the old one, please talk to me..... A DSLR just can't capture what I want, at least for planetary :D

For the sky conditions, I'm somewhat surprised it came out. And the only reason I post this is because I really like the way the shadows came out on Montes Apenninus. But that's just me...

Moon_03-03-2020.png

Anyways, that's it for me tonight. And probably the rest of the week as well. The next two days (Tues and Wed) are socked in according to the forecast, and Thursday I'm taking off from here to Peru; the one in upstate New York :lol: Legal matters, but to my advantage. It's 550km's (340 miles) each way, and I'm seriously thinking about bringing a small scope/barn door tracker and stopping off on the way back at one of the State parks along the way and making a night of it. I made a few modifications to this (finderscope, tension spring) and I'm all set to go.

BDT.png
I'll see how the weather goes!

Currently listening as I do this to The Man Who. Down, Rio Grande, Natural Villain... Driving tunes, gotta get going... :lol:

Have a good night all,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: March 1st Quarter ol' Hateful

Post by bladekeeper »

Very nice capture, Mark!

Yep, Sucker Hole Astronomy has been the name of the game around here. Had a few sucker holes this evening, though none of them contained the Moon! :lol:

You about got me on the Peru comment! I was getting really excited for some southern sky stuff! :lol:

I wonder if Preparation H works on clouds?
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

I ditto Bryan's comments. And I feel your weather pain, Mark.

In the coming days here in America's flyover country we're going to have several clear night skies (who knows what the real sky conditions will be some days out) but there's going to be boucoup wind AND the Moon is only getting brighter for the next week! Man, we just can't catch a break. And I still refuse to be Mr. Popsicle standing/sitting in 20 degree weather and wishing upon a star! Heh!

Bryan, I wonder if Preparation H works on self-aggrandizing privileged Hollyweird celebrities whose minds operate at a fifth grade level in all things politics? My apologies to fifth graders.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Hello Mark.
It has been a pleasure this morning to read your report and view your lunar quarter.

Thank you.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Mark,

You sure pulled out a fine lunar image from one ‘dem sucker holes!

Hate to hear that your weather is bunk. You pulled off a good one though!

Have a safe trip to Peru and when you get back, you will be greeted with beautiful night skies! Sound good?
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Dragonsfire Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Dragonsfire »

Good Capture Mark :)
Neil
Orion XT8i Dob, ES AR102
9x50 RACI Finder, TELRAD Reflex Sight, Electro Dot Sight RD400X
Agena SWA 38mm 70 FOV 2" EP, Orion 25+10mm Sirius Plossl 52 FOV EP
ES 82* 11mm, 18mm 2", ES 68* 24mm, 6mm, 25mm Ortho. EP, Televue 3X Barlow,CS lens 2.8mm-12mm F1.4
Filters Baader Continuum, UV/IF cut, Lumicon UHC, DGM OIII. ND5/3.8 Kendrick
GX1 Lumix, E-PM2, ASI224mc, SteadyPix Deluxe, iOptron SkyTracker 7.7lb
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Gotta love the name "Ole Hateful".
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
goldstar
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by goldstar »

Hi Mark. I live just "up the road" from Peru in Plattsburgh.
Our local forecast for Friday night is not good (snow!)
A pity because there is an excellent public observatory at Tupper Lake https://www.adirondackskycenter.org/RORO.
It has public nights on the 1st and 3 rd Fridays in the deepest darkest Adirondacks.
It's off your route by 70 miles if coming on the I 87 but you might be lucky weather wise and if so it's worth considering.
There's also 90 % moon to take into account.
Whatever, enjoy your visit to the North Country.
Scopes: 200mm f6 DOB:CR 6 150 mm f 7.5 refractor, SW ED 80 mm f 7.5. 2 X 80 mm f7.5 guides.
Mount: AVX.
NexGuide auto guider. Cameras 3 Ti and XS modded. I optron Skytracker.
Motley EP collection.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

A really fine image Mark and it's tough when there are the darn suckerholes. I'm hoping to get a bit of scope time this eve as the weather has cleared up.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Mark. You did a great job om this lunar image. I enjoy luna, planetary, and DSO captures on here. Our weather here has warmed up lately, but with our overcast skies we see almost nothing anymore. Thanks for sharing your work with us on here Mark, and the best of regards.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice capture Mark. Good luck on your trip. If not a scope take some binos with you.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Nice one Mark!
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob : iOptron CEM70 without TripodBarlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/