Post your Lunar images here.
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Taming Lunar Contrast at the terminator

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Another image from my lunar archive of last Fall. I mostly experimented with tonal adjustments and unsharp masks which with my ArcSoft PhotoStudio seems to make a really significant difference in the sharpness of the final image.

This is a single-frame image with two layers of manipulation. I ultimately made very subtle changes in brightness/gain/luminance, contrast, multiple tone adjustments, two layers of unsharp masking and despeckling, the latter feature smooth the "grain" of the single-frame quite a bit in this case.

SW EQ6-R Pro (Lunar tracking mode)
Canon EOS 80D unmodified
Effective focal length 4800mm
1/5 second, ISO 500
Single-frame with two layers
No filters
Image has been cropped roughly 2X
Attachments
IMG_3494_NEW.jpg
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Taming Lunar Contrast at the terminator

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Hmmmm. For some reason when I post lunar images on this forum, it tends to brighten my images about 20 to 30%. I'm pretty confident my monitor is properly calibrated and even if it isn't it doesn't explain how the images appear "normal" to my taste in my PhotoStudio window and when posted on this forum the images get significantly brighter. My colr DSO images brighten a bit too on the DSO forum but only about 10 to 15%.

Anyway, I went back and reduced the luminance/gain on my two lunar images and reposted them here ...
Attachments
IMG_3494_NEW.jpg
IMG_3456_NEW_NEW.jpg
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
515bonner United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 515bonner »

There is an EXCELLENT youtube video by Robert Reeves which details how he goes about his lunar imaging and processing. A LOT of good information and some debunking of other.

Rob Robinson
14.5" f/5.3 Starmaster with Sky Commander XP4 | 9.25" Celestron SCT | 8" f/7 Starmaster (only 5 made) with Sky Commander V3
6" f/12 Orion 150mm Mak | 4" f/9 Celestron Refractor (Vixen) | 80mm f4 unbranded refractor
iOptron CEM40 | iOptron Cube Pro
Large Assortment of Nagler and Konig Eyepieces | ZWO ASI290MC & ZWO ASI120MM-s Cameras

Member of the Astronomical Society of Kansas City / Astronomical League
Member of the British Astronomical Association
V.P. of Occultation Services, International Occultation Timing Association
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Thanks Rob, I'll check it out tomorrow.
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Nicely done, Henry!

Gotta love the shadow play in the craters. :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Thanks, Bryan. I just saw your latest Lunar/Venus post. Awesome, sir!