Post your Lunar images here.
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

An interesting comparison...

Post by bladekeeper »

Back in September, Explore Scientific was running a sale on eyepieces and accessories. They had their 2× focal extenders reduced in price. I whupped on down to the ES store on 30 September (last day of the sale) and slapped some cash down for one. I figured that one of these rascals might squeeze another drop or two of juice from my lunar imaging efforts.

Unfortunately, after paying for one of these, we determined that ES may just be out of stock despite what their inventory indicated. Heck, we even went back to the warehouse and dug around in boxes and did not find one. They were indeed out of stock.

My options were to get my money refunded and buy one later when they came back in stock, or wait it out. I elected to wait as it was the $60.00 cheaper option.

I checked their website periodically and it continued to tell me these were sold out. I inquired of my friend that works there as to when these could be expected and learned a lot about manufacturing processes and the overall shipping attitude with the folks in China that make these things. :lol:

Lo and behold though, this past Thursday the ES website was showing these back in stock. I sent a FB Messenger note to my buddy at ES today asking if I could swing by and pick up my goods and was told to come on down. So down I went and got my new toy.

Since it was clear this evening, I got to try out this 1.25" 2× focal extender with my Stellarvue SV102T. I also brought out my $40.00 1.25" 2× Synta barlow that I normally use. I ran off a 3-panel mosaic with each of these devices in front of the cam.

Can you tell which is which? :lol:

Image20200104 18_39_18_g4_ap91 M1_1_stitch by Bryan Gabbard, on Flickr

Image20200104 18_44_23_g4_ap124 M2_1_stitch by Bryan Gabbard, on Flickr
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Re: An interesting comparison...

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The bottom one is the ES
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

They are both beautiful but the bottom one it a bit more crispy, so yes that should be the ES
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:03 am The bottom one is the ES

Seconded!
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

I put them side-by-side in PS to help comparison with these old eyes. The second one is sharper IMHO.

Clear, Dark Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

The bottom one is the ES. It's sharper and lacks the slight CA of the top one.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hey buddy :D Good to hear you're getting some sky time in... Great story; good for you on holding out. A man after my own heart.

They are both great images, for sure. However, the bottom one just looks a little crisper and not the slightest hint of CA. I'd be betting the bottom image is with the ES.

I replied to this before I read any of the responses, and now in doing so, it seems I'm with the majority. Reminds me of the Black Sabbath concert I saw in '82... Mob Rules! :lol:

Well done on both counts!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

I don't really know. I do know the bottom one is a bit sharper. If that was due to the instrument, seeing, or processing who knows :D

To me there pretty comparable. Nice job on the mosaics btw. Seamless!
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
SKEtrip United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SKEtrip »

Wonderful images, Bryan.
Just to be contrary, I'll say the second one is the Synta
AD10, SV102T, AR127 & ST80
M2 & SW AZEQ6 GT Mounts
ES82 11 18 24, ES100 5.5 9 14 20, KK Orthos, BCO's, Vixen HR 2.4, 3.4 Vortex 10X50,
ACD 75 Astro Mutt - Rest in Peace Wubby
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein

j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

There is a time lapse between the both mosaics.
The second mosaic shows some higher contrast, which may also be due to the later time at night and better seeing or whatever, when the imaging has been made.

Otherwise, I like the both,
JG

PS edit: The both mosaics show a blue fringe residual at north, and a yellow/green at south, something like mismatch in the optics axes.
Maybe, I am the only one who can see it.
Last edited by j.gardavsky on Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

The bottom/second image is much more contrastry.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

j.gardavsky wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:00 pm There is a time lapse between the both mosaics.
The second mosaic shows some higher contrast, which may also be due to the later time at night and better seeing or whatever, when the imaging has been made.

Otherwise, I like the both,
JG

PS edit: The both mosaics show a blue fringe residual at north, and a yellow/green at south, something like mismatch in the optics axes.
Maybe, I am the only one who can see it.
I based my guess on these factors as well as the slight difference of surface colour.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Awesome! Thanks so much for playing along, friends! I sincerely appreciate your objective evaluations of each image. I was afraid I might be a tad biased since I was aware of which was which.

The first one may be a tad softer due to a slight focus issue on my part. I am going to try this evening using both again to see if I achieve similar results. :)

As for which is which, the top mosaic was done using the ES 2× focal extender while the bottom mosaic was done with the 2× Synta barlow. :D

I must note that the ES did put up a brighter image. I had to notch up the exposure a hair with the Synta.

So far, I'm not seeing enough of a difference to justify the expense of the ES. I am hoping to repeat this experiment (sans asking for your guesses) a few more times to see how consistent the results are.

Thanks for playing along! Very much appreciated!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

I must note that the ES did put up a brighter image. I had to notch up the exposure a hair with the Synta.
So there is your difference. The ES is a few milliseconds faster :D
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

So much for the Mob mentality... :lol: That's interesting, I'm thinking with Tom, slightly faster or maybe just better glass?

Thanks for that little "test"; I find it interesting and helpful to boot. Reminds me of when I bought my iOptron dielectric diagonal. I was somewhat surprised when I discovered my old Celestron/Vixen Star diagonal with it's prism put up a brighter and larger view. So much for advertising... ;)
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Sinerjee
Earth Ambassador

Post by Sinerjee »

Maybe the extended exposure of the Synta is what threw everyone off?
Could you maybe get a shot with the same settings which should give a clearer comparison between the two?
Scope: Celestron Astromaster 130EQ Reflector
Astromaster Lens and Filter Kit
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Sinerjee wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:11 am Maybe the extended exposure of the Synta is what threw everyone off?
Could you maybe get a shot with the same settings which should give a clearer comparison between the two?
Yeah, I will definitely do that at the next opportunity.

Alas, this evening, I again bumped the exposure on the Synta. Granted, we are talking 5/10ths of a millisecond here, not much of a bump, but enough to make a difference...thread forth-coming.

I think I nailed focus with the ES much better this evening. I think. :D
Bryan

Sinerjee
Earth Ambassador

Post by Sinerjee »

bladekeeper wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:25 am
Sinerjee wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:11 am Maybe the extended exposure of the Synta is what threw everyone off?

Alas, this evening, I again bumped the exposure on the Synta. Granted, we are talking 5/10ths of a millisecond here, not much of a bump, but enough to make a difference...thread forth-coming.

Thanks for showing the comparison though. I have a Celestron 2x Barlow at the moment. I presume it's similar to the Synta one you describe.
I'm considering getting the Televue 2x Barlow though. At $189AUD it would be quite an investment for me so to not see much in the way of differences here makes me think it might not be worth it.
Scope: Celestron Astromaster 130EQ Reflector
Astromaster Lens and Filter Kit
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Sinerjee wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:18 pm
bladekeeper wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:25 am

Thanks for showing the comparison though. I have a Celestron 2x Barlow at the moment. I presume it's similar to the Synta one you describe.
I'm considering getting the Televue 2x Barlow though. At $189AUD it would be quite an investment for me so to not see much in the way of differences here makes me think it might not be worth it.
You likely have the same barlow as I do.

Also, there can be differences in quality from barlow to barlow, especially with the cheaper options (less consistency in quality). It may be that I got lucky and got a really good one. I've never used a Televue, so it may also be a case of "ignorance is bliss" on my part. :lol:

I have read favorable comments on the Televue, though.
Bryan