Post your Lunar images here.
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

"Whupped 'Em Again, Josie!"

Post by bladekeeper »

Better clear this evening. I finally got home and reasonably settled in about 1830 hours. Then the flush handle on the master bath toilet broke. Off to the Home Depot to nab a new one.

You ever take one of those off? I cranked on the stupid nut for 10 minutes and it wasn't budging. I finally realized it was threaded the other way. After I cranked counter-clockwise, it came loose like it was supposed to. Its times like these when you are trying to be the manly cave-man for the wife and some stupid crap like that knocks you down a few pegs.

Anyway, back home, new flush handle installed.

Outside, Moon was bright and clear. It was about 1930 hrs. and I was tired after a very long and trying day at work. You see, I got this new department added to my realm of responsibility this week. Five new team members and a supervisor. No problem. And then I realized with growing alarm that I am now in charge of keeping about 300 ATMs serviced, stocked with cash, patched and updated, about that many in-branch cash recyclers serviced and working, and around 75 rapid-issue debit card printers. Holy freakin' cow. All that added to my other stuff of customer research, asset verification, processing transactions for 275 bank branches, courier network, and mailing about 80,000 statements and letters per day, I'm busier than a cat trying to bury poop on a marble floor.

Needless to say, I'm a wee bit stressed the heck out. :lol:

A little backyard puttering with some lunar imaging should be nice and relaxing. Oh hell no.

I got the SV102T mounted and my cabling connected, laptop humming along, mount slewed, SharpCap brought up, target centered. Now to adjust my focus with my ZWO EAF auto focuser.

I clicked the in button to move the focuser and SharpCap locked up. What? That's never happened before. It finally unclenched. Click again. Locked up. Holy cow.

What happens if I click on the focuser properties button? Error message. Ok fine. SharpCap down and everything brought back up.

Click the in button again. SharpCap locks up. Ok, fine. Click Properties. A fun little dialog box pops up that says "This EAF is removed."

No, no it is not. I can see the damn thing from where I sit. I brought up the ASCOM Diagnostic program. "This 32-bit Utility cannot run on a 64-bit platform." Ima kill me something now. I had purposefully installed 64-bit ASCOM because I am running a 64-bit OS. Why, oh why, is it yammering about 32-bit? I can literally hear my hair crackling and turning grayer.

I unplugged the EAF and the computer chimed an acknowledgment. I plugged it back in. Another chime. Back to SharpCap, I clicked on focuser properties.

"This EAF is removed."

Holy. Freakin'. Crap.

I just want to tighten up the focus on the stupid freakin' Moon so I can run off some stupid freakin' video captures so I can go the freak back inside and stop freakin' freezin' my freakin' butt off out here in the freakin' backyard.

One more time.

"This EAF is removed."

My primal hillbilly came forth at this time. I said out loud, and a bit too loudly, "I'm fixin' to freakin' remove this damn EAF and give it a hurl over the back fence!"

The only response I got was some manic duck quacking the alphabet over at the pond just to my northeast. I don't know what that stupid duck was on about, but he was sure giving it hell. Maybe he was having EAF trouble too.

It's a good thing the EAF was securely fastened to the focuser of the SV or it really would have made a trip through the night air. I unplugged all of it, brought down SharpCap, plugged it all back in, brought back SharpCap, and now the focuser worked just fine like nothing had ever gone awry.

I sat there and contemplated for a bit and then commenced my focusing. Sheesh. How easy is this? Pretty freakin' easy.

I'm not blaming the EAF here. I think for some reason ASSCOM (yeah, I know I spelled that wrong) was feeling ornery or drunk, or something. The EAF has given me very little trouble up to this point.

Got my capturing done and my toys put away. Images processed and composited and here is the result. Better than last night to my eye, at least.

Image20191203 20_08_48_g4_ap91_stitch V2 by Bryan Gabbard, on Flickr

I think I need to go get myself a box of crayons and a coloring book. I'm wound just a wee bit too tightly lately. :lol:

So how was your day? :D
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: "Whupped 'Em Again, Josie!"

Post by notFritzArgelander »

That IS a nice image though! Glad to see it.

My day was lazy. I got up at 10am since I stayed up late watching movies. After breakfast I decided to take a nap. I slept through my alarm getting up at 4pm to run errands (groceries, Rx pickup) then off to the coffee shop to play chess. I had a conversation on the topics of "The Man in the High Castle" and many worlds QM before winning straight games at game in 15' time limits. Then home to online shopping at Teleskop Express where I renewed acquaintance with my shopping cart and gave it purpose.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Very nice Bryan, that does look better than the last one. Eyepiece time yet? ;)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I'm still looking for the Rose of Alabama in that excellent image.

It sounds like observing with you would be a fun experience. If for no other reason than to hear the monologue that goes along with the evenings events.

Nicely done,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:43 am That IS a nice image though! Glad to see it.

My day was lazy. I got up at 10am since I stayed up late watching movies. After breakfast I decided to take a nap. I slept through my alarm getting up at 4pm to run errands (groceries, Rx pickup) then off to the coffee shop to play chess. I had a conversation on the topics of "The Man in the High Castle" and many worlds QM before winning straight games at game in 15' time limits. Then home to online shopping at Teleskop Express where I renewed acquaintance with my shopping cart and gave it purpose.
Thanks, notFritz! A nap after breakfast after getting up late? That's awesome! :lol:

A good day indeed. :)

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:26 am Very nice Bryan, that does look better than the last one. Eyepiece time yet? ;)
Thanks, Gabrielle! Yeah, it is about eyepiece time. I wonder how many Pentax XWs I can get for my astro cams? :D

JayTee wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:26 am I'm still looking for the Rose of Alabama in that excellent image.

It sounds like observing with you would be a fun experience. If for no other reason than to hear the monologue that goes along with the evenings events.

Nicely done,
JT
Oh brown Rosie, Rose of Alabama,
The sweet tobacco posey is the Rose of Alabama!

I'm gonna be singing that one all day at work. A fun fiddle tune to play on the 5-string also. :D

Thanks JT! (glad you caught the reference too!) :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Super sharp image Bryan!

Sorry about the woes with the focuser. Can’t beat that focus though!

Excelled image!

Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Wow! That one snaps, big time. Very nice, Bryan. :clap:
bladekeeper wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:53 am ...I think I need to go get myself a box of crayons and a coloring book. I'm wound just a wee bit too tightly lately. :lol:

So how was your day? :D
You are indeed wound up like an eight-day-clock.

First off... Just like at work, you gotta delegate tasks. My wife thinks she's MacGyver and usually is. Soooo... Show your wife some of the old MG clips and she'll be fixing stupid stuff like the toilet handle all the time. LOL

My day? We're throwing a huge neighborhood Christmas party at our house on Friday 13th (UGH!) and we're busy, busy, busy getting everything just right. (UGH!)

Clear, Dark Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great image Bryan. Actually fixed a hole in my fence yesterday. I had to drive to Home Depot to get a couple of 1x1's plus some nails. I fixed it but got soaked by the rain while doing so. I then sorted through a bunch of financial matters that I had been putting off. Watched some TV then hit the hay around 9pm. No observing opportunity unfortunately. After all of the dry months we now have a series of "atmospheric rivers" approaching so rain off and on for the next seven days. Hummph.

Congrats on the added responsibilities. I guess soon you will be running the whole place, which is a good thing!!! :D
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Yep those left handed threads will get you every time! :D

Nice image Bryan, your processing is improving!
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Arctic
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Arctic »

NIce image, Bryan. I'm glad you didn't actually STRIP the stupid nut on the toilet flush handle, or you might not have gotten out at all! I HATE when stuff doesn't work when I'm out observing in the cold and dark. Drives me crazy.
Gordon
Scopes: Meade LX10 8" SCT, Explore Scientific AR102 Refractor on ES Twilight 1 Mount, Oberwerks 15X70 Binos, Nikon Action Extreme 10X50 Binos.
Eyepieces: ES 68* 24mm, ES 68* 20mm, ES 82* 11mm, ES 82* 8.8mm
Observing: Messier Objects--110/110, H1 Objects-- 400/400. Hundreds of additional NGC Objects. Significant Comets: Kohoutek, West, Halley, Hyakatake, Hale-Bopp, McNair, Neowise. Transits of Mercury and Venus.
2017 Total Solar Eclipse
Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Shabadoo »

Night # 2 of no electricity.
Only 4 inches of snow. WTF?
Generator power on during day. Snuggle up at night.
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

A can of contact cleaner will help fix a ton of those connection errors.
I have a can in the Obsy., and everything now gets a quick Spritz before every session.
I haven't a connection issue in a while now.
Being a leftie, I always try bolts or other unfamiliar twisties in both directions when trying to remove them, just to be sure.
Righty tighty doesn't always cut it.
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
Ed217 United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ed217 »

What camera did you use for this shot?
Scopes: Celestron Nexstar 8SE, Celestron C6N, WO Z61, WO GT71, iOptron RC6 .
Mounts: Celestron Nexstar, iOptron Sky Guider Pro, iOptron HEM27 w/iPolar
Cameras: Nikon D780, Nikon Zfc ,ZWO ASI224MC, ZWO ASI120MM-S, ZWO ASI294MC Pro, ZWO ASI485MC, ZWO ASI174MM, ASI662MC, ASI294MM, ASI2600MC Pro iPhone 14.
Tools: Raspberry PI4 with Stellarmate OS, Intel NUC Mini PC, Beelink MiniPCs.
Accessories: Celestron focus motor, ZWO EAF focusers, F6.3 field reducer, assorted eyepieces, 11" video monitor, polar scopes, iOptron iPolar
Computers: Dell desktops, MacOS MacMini, ASUS laptop, Intel NUC, Beelink MiniPD, PI, assorted software packages, iPhones, iPads
My AstroBin Images: https://www.astrobin.com/users/EdDixonImages/
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Ed217 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:45 am What camera did you use for this shot?
Hi Ed, a ZWO ASI174MC and a cheap 2× barlow. :)
Bryan

pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Ooooh! I'm stealing that one for wallpaper.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ed217 »

bladekeeper wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:17 pm
I took a similar shot last night, but its not anywhere as clear as I would like. Not sure if this is a location issue, a camera issue, a scope issue, focus, etc. I'm still pretty new to all of this.

I used a Nikon D3500 in video mode. Celestron 8SE scope with motorized focuser. It was clear last night, but this is a city area and it shows as Bortle-6 I think. It was show from patio area which is mostly dark as between two structures. I get about 3 hours of due South view each night that is fairly dark.

This is the image after stacking.
Attachments
DSC_1832b_pipp.jpg
Cameras: Nikon D780, Nikon Zfc ,ZWO ASI224MC, ZWO ASI120MM-S, ZWO ASI294MC Pro, ZWO ASI485MC, ZWO ASI174MM, ASI662MC, ASI294MM, ASI2600MC Pro iPhone 14.
Accessories: Celestron focus motor, ZWO EAF focusers, F6.3 field reducer, assorted eyepieces, 11" video monitor, polar scopes, iOptron iPolar
Computers: Dell desktops, MacOS MacMini, ASUS laptop, Intel NUC, Beelink MiniPD, PI, assorted software packages, iPhones, iPads
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Ed217 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:19 pm
bladekeeper wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:17 pm
I took a similar shot last night, but its not anywhere as clear as I would like. Not sure if this is a location issue, a camera issue, a scope issue, focus, etc. I'm still pretty new to all of this.

I used a Nikon D3500 in video mode. Celestron 8SE scope with motorized focuser. It was clear last night, but this is a city area and it shows as Bortle-6 I think. It was show from patio area which is mostly dark as between two structures. I get about 3 hours of due South view each night that is fairly dark.

This is the image after stacking.
Hi again, Ed,

With the Moon, local light pollution, i.e. your Bortle 6 sky, will not be especially impactful. However, poor seeing conditions (atmospheric turbulence) can be impactful.

Also, assuming you are doing some manner of wavelet sharpening after you stack?

It's a pretty good image overall. :)
Bryan

bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Again thanks everybody for your kind comments. I really appreciate it!

I've been a bit down with some allergy trouble the past couple of day. It has been hard to focus on the laptop screen to read the forum through watery burning eyes. :lol:

Much better today. :)

Jim, thanks for the tip on the contact cleaner! :)
Bryan

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ed217 »

bladekeeper wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:31 am
Hi again, Ed,

With the Moon, local light pollution, i.e. your Bortle 6 sky, will not be especially impactful. However, poor seeing conditions (atmospheric turbulence) can be impactful.

Also, assuming you are doing some manner of wavelet sharpening after you stack?

It's a pretty good image overall. :)
Yes, tried a number of combinations for wavelet processing using Registax 6. I'm using an HDMI output from the Nikon to a small 10" monitor for focus. Also has the 6.3 focus reducer on to get the full frame moon shot from Nikon.
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ed217 »

In about a month I'll be in a Bortle 2 area for a few days. Due to luggage limits, I'll only have my camera bag and some lens. No tripod, scopes, etc. Any suggestions as to what/how to use for some Nikon or DJI OSMO Pocket shots?