Moon 2019-11-13 - First Mosaic!

Post your Lunar images here.
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

Moon 2019-11-13 - First Mosaic!

Post by fatboy1271 »

Hey All,

I need some processing advice on this please :) I looked at Bryan's list of software as a guide; I really love the MS ICE program for stitching mosaics. As the title states, this is my first mosaic!

It's funny that I've had my setup now for a few years and I'm still learning that I have things in my accessory box that I didn't know I had! This is the first time I've imaged the Moon with my ASI120MC and the ES ED80 without using the diagonal. When I got to thinking about taking some new Moon shots I thought that I would have to buy some new accessories. Then I looked at the diagonal and saw that there was indeed a 2" to 1.25" adapter that comes out of the diagonal... DUH! For some reason, maybe because I never really looked at it, I thought the diagonal's 1.25" opening was just part of it. Anyway, not using the diagonal makes for much better imaging :)

Do people use Darks, Bias, and Flats in their Lunar processing? I took video for Darks but didn't use them.

SharpCap, Autostakkert!, Registax, MS ICE, Photoshop

Stacked in AS! and unedited:
Moon 20191113 Mosaic Unedited 1250x1250 Crop 02.png
Registax; did I overdo the Wavelets?
Moon 20191113 Mosaic Wavelets 1250x1250 Crop 02.png
Photoshop; overlay of unedited stack on top of Wavelet version, with Saturation reduction in color and an Opacity reduction for the overlay. Ugh, I believe there is also some Layer editing to darken the Wavelet version, but I confused myself with all the "learnin'" I did in PS:
Moon 20191113 Mosaic_PS_OP23 02.png
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Moon 2019-11-13 - First Mosaic!

Post by JayTee »

Hi Patrick,

No, for planetary /lunar Imaging we only use the light frames that come from a video file. The reason -- everything is bright enough to not warrant those other frames.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

JayTee wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:51 pm Hi Patrick,

No, for planetary /lunar Imaging we only use the light frames that come from a video file. The reason -- everything is bright enough to not warrant those other frames.

Cheers,
JT
Thanks JT! Makes perfect sense :)
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Let's Go Pens!!!
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Looks good to me, the center one may be a tad over sharpened, but it is dramatic!
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Those look good! Maybe a bit over sharpened in Registax, but it's hard to know where to draw the line sometimes :D Still, your focus is great!

As for advice.... :lol: Seriously, I use an old DSLR, an even older achro, and different software, so I really wouldn't be able to help you out. All I can do is to tell you to keep it up; you're off to a great start!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Pretty darn cool!

Yeah, the wavelets version is a bit on the crunchy side for my taste. But you salt and pepper it however you like it, bubba. :D

Registax does have some color balance features. Top right corner in the Features box, look for Histogram. You can adjust all three RGB channels separately as well as the gamma. Don't forget to hit the Do All button afterward.

Typically I will crank through AS and then Resistax and am done unless I do the StarTools color balance treatment. That seems to work best on mosaics and not on single panel captures, though, for me at any rate.

Getting the wavelets nailed down can be a little time consuming. I tend to only mess with the first two sliders and I do not touch the others. Once you get it adjusted to your liking, be sure to "Save Scheme" so that you can recall the settings in the future. I also find that this can vary depending on the scope used. I find that with my achros, 25 on the first slider and 10 on the second works quite well. With my apo, 8 and 4. :)

As JT mentioned, no darks or flats required. I do have a hot pixel on my ASI120, but it can be easily blotted out with the band-aid tool in PS. A little dab'll do ya! :D
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

bladekeeper wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:07 am Pretty darn cool!

Yeah, the wavelets version is a bit on the crunchy side for my taste. But you salt and pepper it however you like it, bubba. :D

Registax does have some color balance features. Top right corner in the Features box, look for Histogram. You can adjust all three RGB channels separately as well as the gamma. Don't forget to hit the Do All button afterward.

Typically I will crank through AS and then Resistax and am done unless I do the StarTools color balance treatment. That seems to work best on mosaics and not on single panel captures, though, for me at any rate.

Getting the wavelets nailed down can be a little time consuming. I tend to only mess with the first two sliders and I do not touch the others. Once you get it adjusted to your liking, be sure to "Save Scheme" so that you can recall the settings in the future. I also find that this can vary depending on the scope used. I find that with my achros, 25 on the first slider and 10 on the second works quite well. With my apo, 8 and 4. :)

As JT mentioned, no darks or flats required. I do have a hot pixel on my ASI120, but it can be easily blotted out with the band-aid tool in PS. A little dab'll do ya! :D
Thanks for all the info Bryan! I totally agree with people's view of the second version, but I do think the blending of the two isn't too bad. Nice to know about the sliders, as I used all six... :)
Let's Go Pens!!!