My best moon image

Post your Lunar images here.
TareqPhoto United Arab Emirates
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

My best moon image

Post by TareqPhoto »

Hi,

I wanted to share with you my best image of the moon so far to start with, so you will always remember me as my first post of images here.

I can tell the equipment used, but i always heard that equipment isn't important or it doesn't matter as the skills is there, so who cares about the gear if it is all about the imager and skills then.

Enjoy it.
Attachments
22-08-25-lapl6-ap244.jpg
    Telescope: SkyWatcher: Skymax 180mm F15 Mak, StarTravel 80mm f/5 ---- Meade LX70 8" F5 Newt
      Mount: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GoTo
        Cameras: QHY163M, QHY5L-II-M, ZWO [ASI174MM, ASI290MM, ASI385MC, ASI120MC(damaged)], Sony A7r + Canon DSLRs + lenses [Hasselbald, Canon, Sony, Sigma, Samyang], Hasselbald H4D-60
          Filters: Astrodon Ha 5nm, Cyclops Optics LUX-Series RGB, Optolong NB, Baader filters [M&S Neodymium, Contrast Booster], Skywatcher UHC & OIII
            Software: SGPro, PixInsight, APP, APT, DeepSkyStacker, Nebulosity, SharpCap, FireCapture, PHD2, CDC, Photoshop CC
            Don Quixote

Re: My best moon image

Post by Don Quixote »

Thank you Tareq.

I like your lunar image, but I have a different view on the value of sharing with us the information on equipment and processes used.

The value for me is that your experience enhances my experience. I can learn from you. This is one of the nice qualities of a forum such as this, at least for me.

I hope you find great success in your astrophotography adventure.
            bladekeeper
            Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Such a gorgeous image!

Equipment used is always helpful. That way we can try our best to approach the quality of this image. :D
            Bryan
            Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
            Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
            Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

UlteriorModem
            Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Very nice! Very sharp!

The lightplay is outstanding :D
            Tom

Current Equipment:
            Mount: Celestron CGX-L
            Scope: 130mm f7 APO
            Cam: ASI071mc-pro
            Mars Ambassador

Post by TareqPhoto »

Don Quixote wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:07 am Thank you Tareq.

I like your lunar image, but I have a different view on the value of sharing with us the information on equipment and processes used.

The value for me is that your experience enhances my experience. I can learn from you. This is one of the nice qualities of a forum such as this, at least for me.

I hope you find great success in your astrophotography adventure.
            Welcome!

Definitely you are right, i learn from others so i don't mind others learn from me too, but i still have bad impression about people keep saying or believing that only skills that matters and not equipment, i tried with my skills on different equipment and i failed to produce same high quality from all, but it sounds some agree with skills more and others agree with both balanced and some agree with equipment more, at the end i shouldn't stop with any conclusion, if skills is important i just improve it, if equipment is important then i improve it as well, can't say one is more important, in same cases one can be more effective, but i am educated and i should know that both are important as long we all know how to use it with the right skills, and you can learn from anyone.
              Telescope: SkyWatcher: Skymax 180mm F15 Mak, StarTravel 80mm f/5 ---- Meade LX70 8" F5 Newt
                  Cameras: QHY163M, QHY5L-II-M, ZWO [ASI174MM, ASI290MM, ASI385MC, ASI120MC(damaged)], Sony A7r + Canon DSLRs + lenses [Hasselbald, Canon, Sony, Sigma, Samyang], Hasselbald H4D-60
                    Filters: Astrodon Ha 5nm, Cyclops Optics LUX-Series RGB, Optolong NB, Baader filters [M&S Neodymium, Contrast Booster], Skywatcher UHC & OIII
                      Software: SGPro, PixInsight, APP, APT, DeepSkyStacker, Nebulosity, SharpCap, FireCapture, PHD2, CDC, Photoshop CC
                      Mars Ambassador

Post by TareqPhoto »

bladekeeper wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:12 am Such a gorgeous image!

Equipment used is always helpful. That way we can try our best to approach the quality of this image. :D
                      Thanks!

I know that, and i will keep going with equipment carefully alongside with skills, so i can have both worlds, others can be happy with whatever, and i am sure if i improve my gear then i can also can improve my results.
                                Mars Ambassador

Post by TareqPhoto »

UlteriorModem wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:13 am Very nice! Very sharp!

The lightplay is outstanding :D
                                Thank you very much!
                                          Mars Ambassador

Post by TareqPhoto »

Equipment used:

Skywatcher Skymax 180mm Maksutov
                                          ZWO ASI174MM
                                          SW AZ-EQ6
                                          Astronomik IR 742nm
                                                    Hankmeister3
                                                    In Memory
                                                    In Memory
                                                    Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:20 am

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Woooow! Stunning image. I can tell a lot of post-production went into this lunar image capture … or you took it from orbit!

Please post your equipment and what you did in post-production to produce such exquisite images like this. It's no boast but it's a learning experience for all of us here. Your own techniques and hardware may be that viola moment for any number of members here at TSS. Now I'm going back to take a second and third look at your lunar capture. We all have a passion in both the AP and visual realm, but we're not so caught up in the technical ticky-tack that we don't see the beauty of what each one of us are accomplishing wherever we are on the learning curve.

BTW, I too have a Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov. I also have a Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount. So that information alone tells me what my equipment is capable of imaging in lunar astrophotography. Though I focus (no pun intended) more on DSO image capture and to this point I've limited myself to single-frame imaging in both the DSO, lunar and planetary realm, I'm very dependent on excellent seeing conditions and less so on post-production here in central Illinois. See, I learned something already!

Thanks again for sharing.
                                                    Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
                                                    Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
                                                    Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
                                                    Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
                                                    Mars Ambassador
                                                    Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:58 am

Post by TareqPhoto »

Hankmeister3 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:02 pm Woooow! Stunning image. I can tell a lot of post-production went into this lunar image capture … or you took it from orbit!

Please post your equipment and what you did in post-production to produce such exquisite images like this. It's no boast but it's a learning experience for all of us here. Your own techniques and hardware may be that viola moment for any number of members here at TSS. Now I'm going back to take a second and third look at your lunar capture. We all have a passion in both the AP and visual realm, but we're not so caught up in the technical ticky-tack that we don't see the beauty of what each one of us are accomplishing wherever we are on the learning curve.

BTW, I too have a Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov. I also have a Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount. So that information alone tells me what my equipment is capable of imaging in lunar astrophotography. Though I focus (no pun intended) more on DSO image capture and to this point I've limited myself to single-frame imaging in both the DSO, lunar and planetary realm, I'm very dependent on excellent seeing conditions and less so on post-production here in central Illinois. See, I learned something already!

Thanks again for sharing.
                                                    Hi and thanks for your post.

The truth is, IR 742 did the difference, and add that to ASI174MM, i think i killed the quality really good here, seeing for the moon here is so many times great, so i never worry about the moon, i can easily get nice amazing results of the moon from my location, and i am opposite of you, i started with the plan for DSO only in my mind in 2017, but once I've got this Mak i changed my plan or converted to planetary and i saw it was great for me and many people on FB started to like my images and even respected me, so i kept that way and forgot about DSO, but i know that i have to get back to DSO, so this year i tried to complete my setup and still going for DSO imaging, just didn't stop planetary but didn't do it much as last year when i was really focused on planetary to show people about what i can do or what the Mak can do.

My processing isn't anything special, just i capture the video, then play with it through the known apps such as Autostakkert/Registax and finalize it with Photoshop, there is one thing i sometimes use and others don't, i use that sharpen option in Autostakket so i get 2 final files after stacking, one is sharpened and one isn't, sometimes that sharpened one is already amazing so i don't need to much processing or retouch for it, but i give it little punch to make it looks better or sharper as you can see on this image, but i have to tell you, i was just experimenting, i bought 3 ASI cameras so i was playing with them, and that time the moon was just clear as usual so i decided to try this ASI174MM as i bought it last year on Dec at discount so i wanted to test it this year, and here it is, was a nice amazing result really, i bought ASI174MM because i saw some planetary imagers using this camera even with larger scopes such as 1 meter scopes, so i thought why not buy it as well, happy with it, sounds its large pixel size paid for it, in addition to IR 742 which i love a lot for the moon was all came together nicely, so as you see i am still learning and i still call myself as a beginner, i started in AF site which helped me but i continued by myself, and by 2017 and 2018 many people underestimated my skills due to i didn't have good scopes yet and i was asking too too much like hell, but then i know that i can show them, i ask a lot always to learn, even if i repeat questions, if many are annoyed by my questions then i can't learn better so i have to find a way to get information and details of what i look for, and good we have the moon clear here so i can always practice with different setup i have or buy.

Do your best and keep imaging and practicing, it will help you to improve eventually, and more if the sky is helping, so all what i can tell you is that my results are just like that, varying between good and bad, if it is good then i am happy, if it is bad then i try not repeat it again, but i always put my trust on equipment when many told me it is not about the equipment, so clearly when i depended on my skills i didn't get anything good yet, but i did with my equipment and i started to see results i am happy about, then my skills are improving itself by the equipment i am using anyway, so good luck and clear skies!
                                                              Refractordude
                                                              Interdicted
                                                              Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 1:05 am

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

wow
                                                              Thefatkitty Canada
                                                              Co-Administrator
                                                              Co-Administrator
                                                              Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 4:20 pm
                                                              Location: Ontario, Canada

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

That is really nicely done, thanks for the share! :D

All the best,
                                                              Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
                                                              Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
                                                              H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
                                                              Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
                                                              W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
                                                              3052 Member of the RASC
                                                              Mars Ambassador

Post by TareqPhoto »

Refractordude wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:49 pmwow
                                                              Thank you!
                                                                        User avatar
                                                                        Mars Ambassador
                                                                        Posts: 135
                                                                        Location: UAE

Post by TareqPhoto »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:55 pm That is really nicely done, thanks for the share! :D

All the best,
                                                                        Thank you very much, Mark!
                                                                                  User avatar
                                                                                  starfield United States of America
                                                                                  Milky Way Ambassador
                                                                                  Offline
                                                                                  Posts: 1020
                                                                                  Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:22 pm
                                                                                  4
                                                                                  Location: San Diego
                                                                                  Status:
                                                                                  Offline

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

AP Processing Challenge

#15

Post by starfield »

Beautiful. Love the view of Hadley Rille. If you've never done it, check out the Hassleblad images from Apollo 15 from the lunar surface journal. (That's where I snagged my avatar).
                                                                                  Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
                                                                                  Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
                                                                                  Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
                                                                                  Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
                                                                                  Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
                                                                                  Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
                                                                                  The Death Star Observatory
                                                                                  Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
                                                                                  User avatar
                                                                                  Mars Ambassador
                                                                                  Offline
                                                                                  4
                                                                                  Status:
                                                                                  Offline

#16

Post by TareqPhoto »

starfield wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:12 am Beautiful. Love the view of Hadley Rille. If you've never done it, check out the Hassleblad images from Apollo 15 from the lunar surface journal. (That's where I snagged my avatar).
                                                                                  Thank you very much
                                                                                            User avatar
                                                                                            j.gardavsky Germany
                                                                                            Orion Spur Ambassador
                                                                                            Offline
                                                                                            Posts: 711
                                                                                            Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:52 pm
                                                                                            4
                                                                                            Location: Germany
                                                                                            Status:
                                                                                            Offline

TSS Awards Badges

#17

Post by j.gardavsky »

Hello Tareq,

it is the best capture of Moon I can remember to have seen on the forums.
                                                                                            The ejectas (material blown away by the blast) from the craters and behind the mountain ranges, are finest structured.

On a side line for the visual guys and girls,
                                                                                            this contrast I get on my 6" F/5 achro with the Pentax SMC XO 2.5 when I mount the narrow passband (540nm) Baader Solar Continuum filter, as the human vision has an enhanced contrast resolution in green.

Thank you very much for sharing,
                                                                                            JG
                                                                                            6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
                                                                                            Leica 82mm APO Televid
                                                                                            Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
                                                                                            Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
                                                                                            Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
                                                                                            Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
                                                                                            User avatar
                                                                                            Mars Ambassador
                                                                                            Offline
                                                                                            4
                                                                                            Status:
                                                                                            Offline

#18

Post by TareqPhoto »

j.gardavsky wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:01 am Hello Tareq,

it is the best capture of Moon I can remember to have seen on the forums.
                                                                                            The ejectas (material blown away by the blast) from the craters and behind the mountain ranges, are finest structured.

On a side line for the visual guys and girls,
                                                                                            this contrast I get on my 6" F/5 achro with the Pentax SMC XO 2.5 when I mount the narrow passband (540nm) Baader Solar Continuum filter, as the human vision has an enhanced contrast resolution in green.

Thank you very much for sharing,
                                                                                            JG
                                                                                            Thank you very much, JG
                                                                                                      User avatar
                                                                                                      Ozypic
                                                                                                      Orion Spur Ambassador
                                                                                                      Offline
                                                                                                      Posts: 849
                                                                                                      Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 10:26 pm
                                                                                                      4
                                                                                                      Location: NSW Australia
                                                                                                      Status:
                                                                                                      Offline

#19

Post by Ozypic »

I have the same answers as the rest . Its a real great crisp looking image. I love the detail. Images like that are always great to scrutinize.. thanks a lot for posting it . Phill
                                                                                                      Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
                                                                                                      SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
                                                                                                      EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
                                                                                                      Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
                                                                                                      MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
                                                                                                      CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
                                                                                                      Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
                                                                                                      User avatar
                                                                                                      Mars Ambassador
                                                                                                      Offline
                                                                                                      4
                                                                                                      Status:
                                                                                                      Offline

#20

Post by TareqPhoto »

Ozypic wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:00 pm I have the same answers as the rest . Its a real great crisp looking image. I love the detail. Images like that are always great to scrutinize.. thanks a lot for posting it . Phill
                                                                                                      Thanks Phil,

Images or results like that are making me to relief and believe that i did the right choices, otherwise i/we keep spending much thinking i may improve something, sometimes it did, but if we get something which is already decent then all what is needed is to make our skills decent too.
                                                                                                                Post Reply