Moon Experiment

Post your Lunar images here.
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Moon Experiment

Post by OhNo »

While not a big fan of imaging the Moon, Bryan's thread that he started of imaging ole Luna with a C8 got me to wondering. I also own a C8 that hasn't seen much use since I got the 8" Quattro. My set-up was a C8 (~1981 version) with a Agena Crayford style focuser, with a Canon 1100D and Comma Corrector, sitting on a CGEM mount on a pier. Last night was the second attempt due to clouds rolling in the night before. Again the clouds played with me, but I managed two shots for a mosaic through a sucker hole. So the Sky wasn't great for seeing and transparency.

As mentioned above my Image is a two shot (ISO 100 for 1/4 seconds) mosaic stitched together with MS ICE. A minor bump in wavelet channel 3 and 4 and a slight reduction in the contrast. When I compare mine and Bryan's Images, I can see that his imaging system gave him more detail out towards the edge of the Moon. He used a FR and possibly another device to flatten the FOV, mine was on-the-cheap!

Anyway here is what I came up with.

Image1005 Luna__MG_0556_Single__stitch RS II by Brent Secord, on Flickr
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Moon Experiment

Post by bladekeeper »

Nice grab, Brent! :)

The reducer I used is also apparently a flattener as well. https://www.celestron.com/products/reducer-corrector

I did not know that until you mentioned it above. Huh. :lol:
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

If I remember correctly, the last time I tried my C8 on the Moon it was with the camera necked down to 1 1/4". The Comma Corrector I got when I bought the Quattro is a huge honkin' thing. I don't have many supplemental toys for improving my images. A Field Flattener is almost a must for big fat objects like the Moon!

However, I got to wondering if I used more panels in my Mosaic IF that would improve the contrast in the areas of the image that are weak (ie. above image).

LOL Bryan, see us country bumpkins from the great white north are pretty good at makin' you fair weather folks do some homework on the equipment you own!!! By suggesting you may have used a FF I may have saved you the price of another gizmo!!!! :lol: And a whole mile of drivin' to one of the best hobby shops in N. America!!! :o
Last edited by OhNo on Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

This is an interest compare, OhNo.

Imaging the moon can be exhilarating or it can cause severe schizophrenia . 😊

In my case it is the latter. Imaging the full moon has caused madness. 😊

Thank you for this interesting post and very nice images.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice captures!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Don Quixote wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:54 pm This is an interest compare, OhNo.

Imaging the moon can be exhilarating or it can cause severe schizophrenia . 😊

In my case it is the latter. Imaging the full moon has caused madness. 😊

Thank you for this interesting post and very nice images.
I flatly refuse to even mount a scope when there is full lunacy going on. Another side of the hobby, at least if you own a DSLR is the nightscape thing. This coming full Moon will see me swappin' out the scope for a real lens and attempting to get some true brightness in the terrestrial part of my nightscape images. This is all dependant on Momma Nature co-operating. She's been know to throw hissy fits this time of year up my way!!!
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

OhNo wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:44 pm If I remember correctly, the last time I tried my C8 on the Moon it was with the camera necked down to 1 1/4". The Comma Corrector I got when I bought the Quattro is a huge honkin' thing. I don't have many supplemental toys for improving my images. A Field Flattener is almost a must for big fat objects like the Moon!

However, I got to wondering if I used more panels in my Mosaic IF that would improve the contrast in the areas of the image that are weak (ie. above image).

LOL Bryan, see us country bumpkins from the great white north are pretty good at makin' you fair weather folks do some homework on the equipment you own!!! By suggesting you may have used a FF I may have saved you the price of another gizmo!!!! :lol: And a whole mile of drivin' to one of the best hobby shops in N. America!!! :o
Ah, the reducer belongs to my buddy Tyler, the owner of the scope. He loaned it along with the OTA. No money has left my wallet in this case. :lol:

And for the record, I come from a long line of country bumpkins (and was born and raised as one), so I get it. :D
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Nice deal Brent, I think that came out really well! I'll bet if you stacked a bunch of them you'd get some great detail :D

Hope your not getting any more snow; that was too much too early!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:19 pm Nice deal Brent, I think that came out really well! I'll bet if you stacked a bunch of them you'd get some great detail :D

Hope your not getting any more snow; that was too much too early!

All the best,
Nope no stacking at all, just two 1/4 second images at ISO 100 stitched together. Was shot at 1911Hrs last night.

Yeah that damn snow storm.... Your correct, too much too early. Out this way the pickup always looks dis-organized no matter what ya do. You see we keep three full sets of clothes and 3 types of footwear in there 12 months of the year. and you have need a ski-doo suit in July and a pair of shorts on the same day. Only constant is the wind!!!! I wasn't holding my breath yesterday afternoon. the wind was blowin' @ 60km/hr. Died down with the Sunset.
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Lovely stuff Brent. I like your C8 too, really cool scopes.
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

I have delegated it to Solar and Lunar duty, so it doesn't see much action. Being f/10 and me buying the wrong Focal reducer (.5) it is just too difficult to get long exposure of the DSOs I trying to image. I should sell it, but Saskatchewan (especially my place) seems to be the final stop for old gear like it!!! They say there's one born every minute, I must be one of 'em!!!
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Dittos, full moons are the bane of my astrographic pursuits. I'd rather stay home and wash the dishes or something equally as productive.

BTW, OhNo I have an early 1980s vintage Celestron C8 that I acquired for $299 in early 2018 including a working 9-volt RA drive (declination is simply a manual worm and sector gear set-up) and respectable tripod! It actually tracks very well for visual use, both the primary and secondary mirrors are bright, clear and clean, and everything works perfectly. I haven't used it for over a year but it's a pretty cool piece of kit for quick set-up and casual viewing.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Great shot!
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
pmwolsley
Moon Ambassador

Post by pmwolsley »

Nice image Brent,

This summer I spent one night imaging the Apollo 11 landing site. I found it was a great project for a moonlit night. Your image has that historic site dead centre of the image.

Clear Skies

Peter
Scopes:Celestron 8" EdgeHD + 0.7focal reducer, Skywatcher BK80ED +0.85 focal reducer
Mount:Celestron CGEM mount with QHY5II-M 177mm guider
Imaging:Nikon D5300 DSLR (H-Alpha Mod) QHYCCD QHY294C
Software:Digicamcontrol, DSS, StarTools, Lightroom, CaLIGHTs(I am the author of CaLIGHTs)
Dark site: Class 4 Bortle
Home site:Class 8 Bortle
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Thanks Peter. I learn something new every day! Not bad for an old dog huh!!!! :shock: :lol:

OR I was not-so-bright earlier in life!!! :o :D
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

test
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

You'll never hate a C8.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Hankmeister3 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:33 pm You'll never hate a C8.
I'd never say never, it hasn't had much use since I got the 8" SW Quattro. The C8 has been relegated to Planetary, Lunar and Solar. Going to use her tomorrow morning to see if I can catch the Neptune transit of the Sun. Will be down in the dirt a ways, but ya never know if ya don't try, right!!!!
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

I never get tired of looking at Moon images :)

Nice
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D