My SECOND Moon!

Post your Lunar images here.
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

My SECOND Moon!

Post by Jockinireland »

Another clear night - 2 in one week - virtually a miracle for here.

So as per my last post, I went out again with LX200, EOS100D and this time took out the Barlow and threw in the F6.3 FF/FR and below is the outcome. 300 images stacked and wavelets in Registax

FatKitty - i downloaded and tried ImpGG but had very little success - any pointers.

I'm reasonable happy with the below (I know we can do better but still) except for the nasty white border. any tips on how to get rid of that?

thanks for looking.

David.
moon1 20190917 j.jpg
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Don Quixote

Re: My SECOND Moon!

Post by Don Quixote »

I ain't smart enough to figure out the border, Jock. 😊
But this is a heck-of-a nice lunar image !

I think "thefatkitty" is at work, but you should send him a PM and tell him you would like his help. He knows a lot about this stuff.

Thank you for sharing your work.
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Nicely done!

:)

Ian
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Nice one, David!

The white border, at least in my experience with my CMOS cam, told me that I went just a bit too far with the wavelets (or deconvolution in ImPPG's case). :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hey David, sorry for the delay again. One word: Life :lol:

Anyways, here's a quick primer for ImPPG.

I've sent you the setting I use for lunar images. Just copy them to the directory you installed ImPPG in, and you're good to go. To use them, click the second to last icon on the task bar up top (the 'up' arrow).
settings.zip
I find it handy to reselect the image so when I try a setting, it's on the terminator line. You see what I mean:

Image01.png

And when you select a setting, you can adjust the sliders on the left. But first, you have to click on 'adaptive'. One click, the checkbox is emptied. One more click, and you have some sliders to work with.

Image02.png
Image03.png

From there, you can adjust the settings to suit your picture, and save it as a preset as well.

The one I use for most of my pics is Moon02. I know, such great naming conventions... :lol:

This is a 25-shot stacked image of the Moon last Tuesday with my 1100D and C80 at ISO 800 and 1/400th, and then processed with the Moon02 setting in ImPPG. Wasn't the best of nights, either. A little on the light side in terms of contrast, but that is easily fixed. Depends what you're after :D

Image04.png

Image05.png

Hope that helps, but if you really want good images, you should talk to Bryan. I'm somewhat amateurish :lol:

Have a good night/day and all the best to you and Kiwi :D
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Very nice lunar image David!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:55 am Hey David, sorry for the delay again. One word: Life :lol:

Anyways, here's a quick primer for ImPPG.

I've sent you the setting I use for lunar images. Just copy them to the directory you installed ImPPG in, and you're good to go. To use them, click the second to last icon on the task bar up top (the 'up' arrow).

Have a good night/day and all the best to you and Kiwi :D
Thanks for all that Mark, really helpful.

I god some more images over the last coule oud nights so am working through them now.

Kind regards

David.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Jockinireland wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:08 pm
Thanks for all that Mark, really helpful.

I god some more images over the last coule oud nights so am working through them now.

Kind regards

David.
No worries; I just hope it was a help.. I posted this last night after work so if there's some parts that are not clear, lemme know :D
I would have sent you a PM, but attaching images wasn't working for me on that.

Hope to see your results and good for you on the clear skies! I'm of the hope those clear skies you've been having will make their way across the Atlantic to me. I also hope to win a lottery :lol:

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC