My First Moon :)

Post your Lunar images here.
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

My First Moon :)

Post by Baskevo »

I know there are a couple moon images going around this weekend, I thought I would share mine!

Last night, I was photographing for almost 7 hours, 4 hours before my camera battery died, and then almost another 3 hours after that. I started off taking 50 shots of the moon, because I figured if the night didn't go well, I can play with those!

I went with out a plan last night, because I knew there was a full moon. I just figured I'd take some shots of the moon, and then just play around, get some practice. I was able to get set up super quickly, with polar alignment in about 30 minutes (That's a new record for me). I spent another 10 minutes taking some shots of the moon, and then I used the "sky tour" function in the GoTo system.

I got to the Little Dumbbell Nebula and I decided to take a 2 minute exposure. I was actually able to see a TINY bit of blue on the screen, I was shocked! So what did I do? I spent the remaining 6 hours photographing it.

I attempted to stack the 142 images, 94 from before my camera died, and 48 later in the night. Unfortunately, my camera's T-adapter slipped from the compression ring, attached to the focuser, and the first 94 images were flipped upside down for some reason. I flipped the images, and attempted to stack all of the pictures, but I got a weird result. I gave up and stacked only the 48 images. I was able to get a bit of color from the nebula, which I still think is really cool, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed in my light polluted skies and poor framing.

Then, I remembered the moon images. I figured what the heck, I stacked em, and actually got a pretty cool result (I think). Let me know what you all think! I thought it looked pretty good!
Full Moon.tif
Full Moon.tif (21.8 MiB) Viewed 1759 times
And to advocate for reducing light pollution, I thought I would share my results of the little dumbbell nebula, after processing it in photoshop... :sigh:
Little Dumbbell.tif
Little Dumbbell.tif (19.89 MiB) Viewed 1759 times
I am getting better, and I am loving this hobby (maybe a little too much). I cannot WAIT for my first dark sky trip.
Thanks for reading, everyone :) Clear skies!
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: My First Moon :)

Post by JayTee »

Hi,

.tif images do not display on these forms. For some reason the forum software does not like .tif files.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Oh, good to know! Thank you JT. Here are the JPG images.

Moon, 50 stacked images:
Full Moon.jpg
Little Dumbbell Nebula, 48 stacked images @ 400 ISO:
Little Dumbbell.jpg
-James W.

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Oh my goodness, I just realized... The reason the images were upside down is because I would've done a meridian flip in between my break haha :shifty: See I'm learning! Lol
-James W.

bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Nice images on both the Moon and M76! Well done! :)

Stacking software such as Deep Sky Stacker should be able to account for the upside-down meridian flip images and orient them properly to stack with the rest. If that is what you used and still got a "weird" result, there may be a toggle or a checkbox that needs to be toggled or checked. :D

Anyway, again, impressive results!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

Nice shots! The Moon is really good.

I know your fighting LP but maybe bump up to 800ISO on your DSOs. It will cut your exposure length but may be more helpful in processing. I have a post (https://www.theskysearchers.com/viewtop ... 310#p21310) where I debate doing 600secs at 400ISO vs 180sec at 800ISO. You check it out if you want; although, I don't know how helpful it will be :|

That's a great night of taking images! And you learned about meridian flip :)

I'm jealous you're getting out to a dark site so early on!!! I've only been to Vasquez Rocks once and I would say it's darker than my backyard but far from a dark site...
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Thank you! Bladekeeper, I did not know that! The weird result might have been clouds or something, then maybe... I'll have to do some research and retry. Thank you for letting me know!

Fatboy, thank you! I will look at that, absolutely! That's very helpful. I'm nervous for the dark site, and I think I'm planning to go during a star party, which I don't know if that would be better or not. Whatever the case, I'm excited!
-James W.

fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

I hear ya! My thoughts on a Star Party is that it's great because you're with others and you can ask questions. However, for me it's kind of bad because I'm used to setting up in my backyard where I can turn on lights so I can see. I can have my laptop facing me without a Red shift and no one is going to lose their mind...
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!