My first moon!

Post your Lunar images here.
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

My first moon!

Post by Jockinireland »

So, have just started trying some planetary with 8" LX200 GPS, 2X Barlow, Canon EOS1100D.

Was trying Jupiter and Saturn 2 nights ago but they are just awful - seeing was terrible so I'm putting it down to that. So eventually I thought I'd give the moon a go. Of course, I should have at least taken the barlow out! But this is my first effort at the moon, stacked and wavelets in Registax, a little bit tweaking in photoshop. I was struggling a bit with reddish cast in the mid right region. Does not show so much on the jpeg but its not nice in the higher res. Any pointers? Also the wavelets thing is a bit of a mystery to me. I've tried searching and reading up but not finding wnything that really helps me get to grips with it. Any pointers there too?

Anyway - i know its not great but it is my first and I'm Ok with it as that!

Due some clear sky later this week (so they say!) so the intention is to try again with no Barlow but my 6.3 FF/FR and see how that goes. (If the seeing is any better i may give the planets another go but they are very low for me right now.

rgds David
Moon 1 t after RGS and PS small j.jpg
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: My first moon!

Post by Shabadoo »

Love it!
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Very nice, David!

I cannot offer advice on the reddish cast. I have no DSLR experience, only CMOS.

As for wavelets with lunar imaging, the top two sliders are your friends. The first is the most prominent and the most used (at least in my case). The 2nd gets a little nudge too to enhance what the 1st does. The remaining I do not touch.

And depending on the scope used, that can alter how much wavelets to apply. If I am using an achromatic refractor, I tend to bump the 1st slider to 25 and the 2nd to 10. If I am using my apochromatic refractor (a much sharper image right off the camera) I bump the 1st slider to 8 and the 2nd to 4. :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi David, very nice for your first shot! Better than my first shot, believe me :)

I'm not familiar with your scope, but I have the same camera, just known as the T3 here.... why the difference in naming between North America/Europe? :lol: I use an 8omm Celestron/Vixen f/11 achro, and I get the same thing sometimes.
Looking at your shot, it would appear by the 'moonglow' that you had a fair amount of moisture in the atmosphere. Also, in the top right corner of your image, I noticed some horizontal lines as well.

I've found with Registax that, with significant moisture in the air, it can produce a lined or even a cross hatch rainbow effect, making some areas look like a prism. And it can also be just one color, usually red in my case. Nothing against Registax, it can only do what it can :D

You might want to give ImPPG a go; I use it pretty much all the time for lunar images. It's meant for solar, but the Moon has enough reflected light going on that it works quite well. I have some saved processing setting I could share if you do decide to try it.

Just my two cents; might not be applicable to your settings. Regardless, very nicely done and hope you continue!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:26 pm Hi David, very nice for your first shot! Better than my first shot, believe me :)

I'm not familiar with your scope, but I have the same camera, just known as the T3 here.... why the difference in naming between North America/Europe? :lol: I use an 8omm Celestron/Vixen f/11 achro, and I get the same thing sometimes.
Looking at your shot, it would appear by the 'moonglow' that you had a fair amount of moisture in the atmosphere. Also, in the top right corner of your image, I noticed some horizontal lines as well.

I've found with Registax that, with significant moisture in the air, it can produce a lined or even a cross hatch rainbow effect, making some areas look like a prism. And it can also be just one color, usually red in my case. Nothing against Registax, it can only do what it can :D

You might want to give ImPPG a go; I use it pretty much all the time for lunar images. It's meant for solar, but the Moon has enough reflected light going on that it works quite well. I have some saved processing setting I could share if you do decide to try it.

Just my two cents; might not be applicable to your settings. Regardless, very nicely done and hope you continue!

All the best,
Hi Mark,

Thanks for that. I think that's a very astute call - I'm in the west of Ireland to moisture in the air is pretty much SOP but that night was particularly bad. Dew was dripping off every surface and without my dew heaters I'd have been done after 20 mins! I tried to focus (using Backyard EOS) on a bright star and it was nearly impossible because the seeing was so bad.

I've taken a quick look at ImPGG and downloaded it. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

As to Canons naming convention - beats me!, But its a real pain when trying to work out what cameras people are quoting in their posts.

thanks again

David
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Actually David, I've been to Ireland twice; once in 1977 after my father died, and again in 1995 to relive the trip. The weather was wonderful, but I remember the west coast, Galway especially at night. The moisture was abundant for sure :D

My wife still wears the gold Celtic cross & chain I bought her at Claddagh Jewellers. She's second-gen Irish, so if I had come back with nothing for her.... :lol:

Moisture notwithstanding, I envy where you live; just so beautiful!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Sorry, my OCD kicked in and I put this lunar image in the Lunar Images forum.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

Great first Moon shot!
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!