First try with smartphone

Post your Lunar images here.
Greg6498
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

First try with smartphone

Post by Greg6498 »

Hello all! I had my first go at photographing the moon last night, using an iPhone XR with my Celestron 180mm Maksutov on an Advanced VX mount. I am fairly pleased but it was much more difficult than I had anticipated!😀[image]ImageBAA6214B-80D0-4E4B-8FAF-7F423345E7F8 by Greg Hemmings, on Flickr[/image][image]Image5063F865-3BFD-40E3-933E-71819E48EBE5 by Greg Hemmings, on Flickr[/image]
Celestron 7” 180mm Maksutov Williams Optics 2” Rotolock Mirrored Dielectric Diagonl Celestron Advanced VX EQ Mount Skywatcher 8” Collapsible Dobsonian with an Explore Scientific 8x50 Polar Illuminated Erect Image Finder Scope Explore Scientific 34mm 68 Degree Eyepiece Baader Morpheus 12.5 mm eyepieceExplore Scientific 18mm 68 Degree Eyepiece Explore Scientific 6.7mm Eyepiece
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: First try with smartphone

Post by bladekeeper »

Sweet! Nice snaps, Greg! Rupes Recta is showing nicely in the lower image. :)

Man, you be careful with this afocal stuff. That's how it gets you. Next thing you know you are buying a dang CMOS camera, running off video, stacking frames, guiding, cursing, yanking hair, and contemplating your life choices. :lol:

Great shots!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

They are very satisfying cell phone camera images Greg.
Nice work.
Thank you for posting.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Nicely done Greg; you got some good detail on those! ::

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Greg6498
Earth Ambassador

Post by Greg6498 »

bladekeeper wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:49 pm Sweet! Nice snaps, Greg! Rupes Recta is showing nicely in the lower image. :)

Man, you be careful with this afocal stuff. That's how it gets you. Next thing you know you are buying a dang CMOS camera, running off video, stacking frames, guiding, cursing, yanking hair, and contemplating your life choices. :lol:

Great shots!
Thanks for the kind words! I have been researching entry level cameras but have no idea where to start. Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated!☺️
Celestron 7” 180mm Maksutov Williams Optics 2” Rotolock Mirrored Dielectric Diagonl Celestron Advanced VX EQ Mount Skywatcher 8” Collapsible Dobsonian with an Explore Scientific 8x50 Polar Illuminated Erect Image Finder Scope Explore Scientific 34mm 68 Degree Eyepiece Baader Morpheus 12.5 mm eyepieceExplore Scientific 18mm 68 Degree Eyepiece Explore Scientific 6.7mm Eyepiece
Greg6498
Earth Ambassador

Post by Greg6498 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:42 pm Nicely done Greg; you got some good detail on those! ::

All the best,
Thanks for the kind words! I have been researching entry level cameras but have no idea where to start. Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated!☺️

Greg
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Greg6498 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:56 am
bladekeeper wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:49 pm Sweet! Nice snaps, Greg! Rupes Recta is showing nicely in the lower image. :)

Great shots!
Hi Greg!

Your best bet, at least to get a look at the proper path to set foot on, is to go to this website: https://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/

Using the imaging mode, plug in the focal length and aperture of your scope, and choose a target (let's say the Moon) and then look at the varying camera choices in the drop down menu and add those to the view.

With the long focal length of your Mak, in order to get the full lunar disk in the frame, you are probably looking at something with a large sensor such as a DSLR. :)

For planets such as Jupiter and Saturn, something like the ZWO ASI120MC-S would be amazing with that scope.

I would not engage in much deep sky imaging with that scope. The long focal length would be a booger to track and guide, and as slow as a Mak is, your exposure times would be nuts. :D
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi Greg :D I agree with Bryan for sure. If you already have a DSLR, the associated parts to hook it to your scope would involve the appropriate T-Ring for your camera brand and the Camera T-Adapter for that to your scope. Whole deal might cost $40, and with some free software, you can get some really good pictures.

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC