Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Focus on the Moon for the Sun

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi all, hope things are good with you :D

Recently I've bought some Baader filters, most notably a Solar Continuum single stack and the Baader UV/IR cut filter. I also bought a Clear Glass filter for my WO 61 mm for daytime pics; it really helps with the glare.
I also went for the Baader 3.8 solar film for both scopes. Not for visual; photography only!!

scopes.jpg

I've been taking shots of the Sun with my C80-HD achro at f/11.4 using my Canon EOS 550D with some Baader 5.0 film and a Semi-Apo filter for over 5 years now. I wanted to try both the SC and UV/IR filters with it, but I've found it hard to get focus on the Sun with a camera going from one to two filters. With a large sunspot it's pretty easy, but none of that lately; just lots of little ones.

All the Baader filters are parfocal, so I needed to do something. If you focus on the Moon, the Sun will be at the same focus as well. It is much easier to focus on some craters than a sunspot. With that in mind...

Last night was a really clear night with a nice waxing crescent Moon, so I used my Clear Glass filter with the UV/IR behind it in the camera and focused on the Moon with the camera at ISO 800 and 1/400th sec exp. I used 10X on the camera viewfinder, and with my glasses and a magnifying glass for good measure, I think I nailed the focus. And I couldn't believe how the white "edge ring" I usually get on the Moon was completely gone with using the UV/IR filter after processing in monochrome with PIPP and AS3. No false colour whatsoever. I have to next try the UV/IR with the Semi-Apo; maybe even process in colour...!!!

Also, I didn't do any post-processing (ImPPG, Photoshop or the like); I took the best 50% from AS3, cropped and scaled it to 33% and that was that.

I took the shots at just after 10PM; it's still twilight out... :lol:

iPhone 12 shot:
_MG_5042s.jpg

Moon_07-04-2022.jpg
Full size image here

The nice thing is, my scope is locked in focus for two filters now, both Lunar and Solar. So looking forward to using the SC and UV/IR filters with it on ol' Sol.
I use this scope for Sun/Moon pics only; I have an orange-tube C80 at f/11.6 for visual.

F/11ish 80mm achros so hit the sweet spot with me, especially when both use Vixen optics from 25 & 40 years ago :D

And now I have to wait for probably all week, not a clear day forecasted for the next 5 days. Of course. Patience, grasshopper... I'd say it's Thefatkitty curse, but we all go through it!

Here's hoping you fare better, and all the best for clear skies,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Member of the RASC
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Focus on the Moon for the Sun

Post by messier 111 »

very nice Mark , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Parfocality is surely nice, and Baader filters are of top quality, so it is a win-win. Nice shots!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2407, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A great lunar image Mark, good to see you have not lost your touch on it :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Super sharp lunar image Mark! The full res version is nice and crisp.

Glad that you were able to get out and thanks for sharing your fine images.

My new foster project:
5FF09D13-5DEC-458B-B6CF-D42325ECA216.jpeg
Take care buddy!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Mark. A great lunar image, especially on the flickr site with lots of surface details near the terminator. Thanks for taking the time to put this up on here for us to enjoy Mark and keep looking up.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>