Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Transient Lunar Phenomena (maybe) and a shot of the Moon

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hey everyone,hope things are well with you and yours :D

Last night I was going to do some observing, as it was clear. But there's a problem with that. The only time it gets clear here in the winter is when it's cold, and last night was no exception, with a temperature of -20C (-5F).

Well, I'm not getting any younger, and I find sitting out for an extended period of time at that temperature to be rather uncomfortable now. The Moon is 6 days past new, so maybe I'll take out my C80-HD, Canon 550D and take some shots. That's only 5 minutes.

I put the scope out at about 8PM to let it cool off. I know, fracs supposedly don't need cool down time like a reflector, but I have to think going from room temps to a difference of 75F or 40C lower might cause some tube currents. I put it in the shed on a milk crate and take the two caps off. This, to me, lets the warm air escape out the back and bring the whole scope and outside temps to the same.

I went out at 8:30 and set it up with the camera and my CG4 mount. I got the Moon in focus, and had a look through the viewfinder of the camera.

I'm not sure where to start with what I saw. I believe it was on the edge of Fracastorious crater (@Makuser Marshall , you would know! :) ). I saw what looked like a very large intermittently blinking light.

The view with the camera's viewfinder I would equate as similar to looking through this scope with a 25-30mm lens. My mount is manual, and I watched as the Moon drifted through the viewfinder with the light being really intense, vanishing, a slight glow again, then really intense again... There was one time where it was blinking for a brief period like an aircraft light. As I said, the duration of each event changed over the course of watching it. I looked at this for almost two minutes; I had to adjust the RA knob a couple of times to keep this view in focus.

Then it just stopped! That was it, no more light show for Mark... :( :lol:

Of course, after the fact, I kicked myself for not taking a video of it. Still, I'm happy I saw it!

What I think is this (and I could be so wrong): I caught a rare moment when the Moon was at a position relative to where I am and the Sun to reflect light off the edge of a crater at the terminator. When the Moon is waxing (new to full) you often see craters emerging on the terminator over the course of time. What I don't get is, what is so reflective on the Moon to cause this?

I looked it up on the net; thinking maybe I had seen a Transient Lunar Phenomena event. It seems probable; I'm not too sure, but it's the closest explanation I have.

After that amazement, I took some shots and went back inside with everything. I processed 15 shots at ISO 800 and 1/200th sec exp. I stacked the best 75% in PIPP, AS3, with a bit of tweaking in ImPPG and Adobe Photoshop CS6. Yes, CS6.
I'm running Linux Mint 20.2 and that what works. Here's a screenshot of my desktop:

screen.jpg

A few programs are Linux (Stellarium, Gimp, RAWTherapee), but the others are Windows programs; PIPP, AS3, etc. I run those under WINE using a front end for it called PlayOnLinux. One day I might make a post about how to get all this to work if anyone is interested :D

This is the stacked image of the Moon last night, Jan. 7th, 2022.

Moon_010722.jpg

And this is the exact spot I saw the "flashing light". It's still bright...

Moon_TLP.jpg

According to Stellarium, the Moon was at 32.6% illumination. However, I feel that unless the Moon is at the exact same RA/Dec coordinates as well as many other coordinates I don't even understand, this was probably a rare event for me.

Well, I've had a busy day learning new things on here, making my family put up with me and the like :D Probably time for bed soon.

Have a great and hopefully clear night all!!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Re: Transient Lunar Phenomena (maybe) and a shot of the Moon

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Interesting observation Mark.
It could well be light reflecting through valleys/ mountain tops.
Possibly you had a glint off of one of the many orbiters?
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Mark. It looks like were able to have some observing fun even with the cold weather. Sorry to get this to you late but this has been a busy day until now. Below is the area that your are referring to in your image.
Altai Scarp.jpg
The large crater with central peaks below your arrow is Piccolomini and running above it is the Altai Scarp which is part of the outer Nectaris Basin. The Altai Scarp is a dramatic 3.5 to 4 km high cliff. And as it continues it becomes a weaker and more broken scarp. A low angle sun could produce the bright effects that you saw through a reflection from a tall scarp peak. Thanks for your nice read report Mark and I hope this helps.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

Very cool that possibly saw those elusive TLPs!! I've always wanted to catch one. Was there any color to the light? Also, did it remain stationary relative to the backdrop of the lunar surface the entire time? Were the blinking intervals consistent or did they vary?
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:49 am Interesting observation Mark.
It could well be light reflecting through valleys/ mountain tops.
Possibly you had a glint off of one of the many orbiters?
Hi Gabrielle, yeah, I was thinking an orbiter as well, but the flashes were really quite large in relation to the Moon. But, I can't say for sure, could the LRO for example glint that much? I don't know enough to say...
It was really cool though!

Makuser wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:06 pm Hi Mark. It looks like were able to have some observing fun even with the cold weather. Sorry to get this to you late but this has been a busy day until now. Below is the area that your are referring to in your image.
The large crater with central peaks below your arrow is Piccolomini and running above it is the Altai Scarp which is part of the outer Nectaris Basin. The Altai Scarp is a dramatic 3.5 to 4 km high cliff. And as it continues it becomes a weaker and more broken scarp. A low angle sun could produce the bright effects that you saw through a reflection from a tall scarp peak. Thanks for your nice read report Mark and I hope this helps.
Marshall, you are the man! :D Your knowledge of our nearest celestial neighbour always amazes me!
Thanks so much for the info; I'm wondering if it was indeed sunlight bouncing off the cliffs, especially if they vary in height. It did vary in intensity and brightness.
Thanks again, and what book is that you have, if I may ask?

WilliamPaolini wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:12 pm Very cool that possibly saw those elusive TLPs!! I've always wanted to catch one. Was there any color to the light? Also, did it remain stationary relative to the backdrop of the lunar surface the entire time? Were the blinking intervals consistent or did they vary?
Thanks Bill, and well, I'm not too sure if it was a TLP, but it was definitely something I've never seen on the Moon before!

There was no colour, just white. It really looked like sunlight being reflected off a mirror. As well, when I first spotted it, it was bright, then dimmed, disappeared for a bit, winked on and off a few times, surged in brightness, then back to dim again...

No repetition to the pattern; it was all very random. There were a few seconds where it looked like a literal beacon on the Moon, it was so prominent.

As for it being stationary in relation to the Moon, yes it indeed was.

Again, kicking myself for not turning on the camera... :lol:
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Fun observation Mark! It pays to look up, never know what you will see.

-20C? Hah, you would not catch me coming out at 0 C. :lol:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

Thanks for the great report, Mark. I love the mystery and excitement it generated. I always wanted to see a TLP of some sort.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Greenman »

Nice report Mark, yep I agree with Marshall on this - great to observe it. Perseverance pays even at -20.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

Here's where your arrow is pointing. Lat/Lon -19.36105 18.122289.
https://quickmap.lroc.asu.edu/?extent=- ... AXwF1SizSg

You can zoom in much closer with the wheel on your mouse. Put those Lat/Lon numbers in the search box on the top left to anchor a cross hair on the target zone.

The Altai Scarp ridge which is lit up in your image looks to have a max altitude of about 3600 meters. Some of the highlands in the dark region from the illuminated ridge towards your arrowhead are however higher at about 4400 meters at approx -18.95672 19.28293. So maybe some glints off those it not a TLP (FYI there is a line tool in that app that lets you examine the terrain heights).
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:03 pm Fun observation Mark! It pays to look up, never know what you will see.

-20C? Hah, you would not catch me coming out at 0 C. :lol:

Thanks Andrey, it was certainly a never-before-seen-by-me event!

Yeah, it was cold... how low do the temps get where you are? I understand the desert can be cold at night; just curious :D

jrkirkham wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:25 pm Thanks for the great report, Mark. I love the mystery and excitement it generated. I always wanted to see a TLP of some sort.
Hi Rob and thanks! Still not sure if it was a TLP, but I couldn't (and still can't) get over how bright it was! I'll literally be keeping an eye out for this again!

Greenman wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:31 pm Nice report Mark, yep I agree with Marshall on this - great to observe it. Perseverance pays even at -20.
Thanks Tony :D -20C, at least it wasn't windy. Yup, best observation in a long time!
Hope all is well with you and yours; great images on the weekend as well!

WilliamPaolini wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:06 pm Here's where your arrow is pointing. Lat/Lon -19.36105 18.122289.
https://quickmap.lroc.asu.edu/?extent=- ... AXwF1SizSg

You can zoom in much closer with the wheel on your mouse. Put those Lat/Lon numbers in the search box on the top left to anchor a cross hair on the target zone.

The Altai Scarp ridge which is lit up in your image looks to have a max altitude of about 3600 meters. Some of the highlands in the dark region from the illuminated ridge towards your arrowhead are however higher at about 4400 meters at approx -18.95672 19.28293. So maybe some glints off those it not a TLP (FYI there is a line tool in that app that lets you examine the terrain heights).
Wow, thanks for the info and time spent, Bill! What a great site; I never knew.
In looking at it I can see that the varying height would explain the random surges in brightness and dimness; if it was indeed a reflection from a ridge. I really think it was. I still can't get over the intensity of it at times.

I appreciate the info; that was a big help to me :D
All the best to you and yours!
Mark

Solar:
3052 Member of the RASC
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

An interesting observation! During one of the recent eclipses of the Moon I "thought" I saw a bright flash and dismissed it. Later I read that many had seen a meteor strike on the Moon. Here's to keeping looking up!
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Mark. Book? It is really books and this all didn't happen overnight. I got back into astronomy for the second time in 1974 with a 60mm achro refractor on cheap mount. But I was amazed at what could be seen on the moon with this rig. I know, the moon is big, bright, and close. I used to take visual moon walks almost every clear night. Selene has been an ever lasting compassion with me ever since and including my third and current astronomy return in 2009. The scan that I posted was from the latest book, 21st Century Atlas of the Moon.
Lunar Books.JPG
Lunar Maps.JPG
You can see that I wore out the oldest lunar map years ago and that Chuck Wood has been my lunar guru and also contributing editor to Sky & Telescope magazine.
https://www.psi.edu/about/staffpage/cwood
And I want to thank WilliamPaolini (Bill) for his most helpful lunar identification link.
Finally, I wanted to mention all of the talented folks on here. I was thinking about astroavani for his excellent lunar images and detailed information and last night he posted a beautiful lunar image of this very region taken with his Celestron 14" Edge HD telescope and also provided a great commentary of information. I want to include the link here for any who missed his post.
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=22686
As a lunartic, I am really enjoying this thread and sometimes it is all about the "play of light" and/or our mind's conception of what we think we see.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>