Lunar Eclipse washout

Post your Lunar images here.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Lunar Eclipse washout

Post by OzEclipse »

Several days ago the forecast for last night was pretty clear. Three major models, ECFMW, ACCESS-G, and GFS, were all predicting exactly the same cloud pattern/cover. My location is roughly halfway between Orange and Wagga Wagga.

This was the prediction on Tuesday
Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 10.29.05 pm.png
and this the satellite cloud photo yesterday afternoon at 430pm, 2 hrs before the eclipse was due to begin.
Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 6.13.17 pm.png
Thick clouds blanketed the northeastern horizon as sunset neared even though small patches of blue could be seen through light cloud overhead.

With overnight rain predicted, I didn't set up a telescope but I did have a telephoto lens and tripod on hand. Working in my studio, a large 2x1.8 metre window looks out to the north east. Around 9:00UT, I could see a reddish glow in the north. I moved the tripod outside and attached my camera with 300mm lens. The Moon didn't appear. After pacing around for a while, it occurred to me that if I couldn't see the Moon, I could indirectly image the moonlight. I switched to a 14mm wide angle lens. I took a wide angle picture of the reddish orange light cast by the moon. If you look between the trees as well as the sky you can see the reddish light. I have boosted the saturation and had to shift the auto white balance value back to daylight value.

There is no light pollution to speak of here, I'm on the boundary between Bortle 1 & 2 zones.
Photo: 10:22 UT Moon ~50% illuminated.
TLE-Nov-19-2021-0990.jpg
Then the Moon made a very brief cameo opinion through thin cloud. This was the clearest of several images I took during its 1 min appearance.
Photo: 10:25 UT Moon ~ 50% illuminated.
TLE-Nov-19-2021-0994.jpg
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)