Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Some daytime lunar

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hey all, hope you're well :D

Been a warm week here; temps have gone from 10C (~50F) on Sunday to 32C (~90F) today. Of course, with all that comes the humidity and clouds.

Yesterday afternoon was 24C (~75F) and clear out when I got in at just after 2PM. I could see the clouds coming in from the west, but I also noticed the Moon in the south-east in clear skies. Knowing it was going to yuck up for the next while, I went and got my Canon 550D and my 60mm Towatron; the dubious marriage between a Towa achro doublet from a Tasco 55VTE and a cut-down tube and mount that was a 60mm Celestron Astromaster AZ. Costed me $35 total, my time, and it ended up being an f/7; makes for some fun and surprisingly sharp wide-field views. I also use it for white-light solar; though it's better for that visually than photographically. Almost a 5* FOV, it's great for conjunctions and the like.

Image1.jpg

I took it outside and lined up on the Moon. This is the total field of view with the scope at ISO 100 and 1/320th sec exp:

Image2.jpg

This is the cropped image; not too bad for a single shot with a homemade scope, I think:

Image3.jpg

The rest of these are at ISO 100 and 1/400th second exposure.

I turned the camera 90* and took this with one of our trees branches as some "background"...

Image4.jpg

And those were the last clear shots it looks like I'm going to have for some time. The clouds were already in from the west, starting their havoc :lol:

Image5.jpg

Heat, humidity, possible thunderstorms forecast... Yeah, welcome to a late spring in southern Ontario. Hope you fare better than I in the next while :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: Some daytime lunar

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Wonderful images Mark, I enjoy viewing the Moon during the day.
The last image looks a bit like the death star with with some nebulosity in front. :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Some daytime lunar

Post by Makuser »

Hello Mark. A very nice gallery of your daytime lunar images with the Canon 550D and 60mm Towatron. For daytime lunar imaging, you might want get a light yellow filter (Wratten #3, #4, or so). This will darken the blue skies somewhat and may also add contrast to the lunar surface details. Thanks for sharing these captures with us Mark, and keep up your fine work.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>