Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Saturday morning fun & run

Post by Thefatkitty »

Good morning all, Happy Easter! and I hope this finds you well :D

Yay, the weekend. I'm off until Tuesday, so that's nice. I might actually get a few things accomplished, who knows? I could do housework. Or better yet, I could finish the grill I'm making for my friends BBQ that I also made for him. However, it's only expected to reach 10C (~50F), so I'll see how that goes. I could do both, but that sounds very tiring, especially the housework part... :lol:

Last night I started watching a movie in the basement on Netflix called Gods of Egypt. Meh. About half an hour later, I looked at the clock and saw it was coming up to 10:30. That's really the last thing I remember; I was out like a light.

This morning at exactly 5:14AM I woke up to that wonderfully intense pressure that told me I was going to have to sprint up two flights of stairs. I don't think I have to explain why. This, by the way, is always a good time for the cat. Oh look, a human is awake; I can loudly meow at it and it will feed me. This I had to hurriedly do, as the squawking of the feline queen might waken the other two females, and that's not a good thing at this hour, believe me. Once her highness was inhaling her breakfast, all was quiet, and no one else woke up. I have more weekend mornings that go like this than you might imagine.

Since I was now awake thanks to bladders and cats, I thought some coffee would be an idea. While that was brewing, I stepped outside to see what it was like.
Not the clearest of skies; I could pick out the brighter stars. I looked almost due south and low in the horizon was the 61% illuminated Moon with a bit of a "moonglow" in the slight haze. Being low down in the horizon doesn't help either, but I'm up anyways. However, the Moon was in the sky between the side of the house here and a tree. Quite a narrow window; I had about 10 minutes before the evil orb snuck behind the tree.

Instead of my bad explanation as to the Moons location, I took a picture later in the morning of my south view and superimposed the Moon as to where it was in the sky when I stepped out. According to Stellarium, it was at 19* altitude and 170* azimuth. That distant fir tree is lined up with due south.

Seeing as how I had those ten minutes, I once again ran downstairs to get my 550D camera, ran back up and put it outside, then took out my 80mm scope (C80-HD). I lined up the scope, put the camera into the focuser and started shooting. I took sots at a few different ISO and exposure settings; ISO 400 and 1/320th sec were by far the best. The time on those photos was 5:53AM, and the Sun rose here today at 6:56AM.

I aligned all 15 pics in PIPP, then used AS3 to stack them. I decided to stack all 15; the end result was better than I expected. I have PIPP sort the RAW images by total brightness and save them as TIFF's, and they all came in at over 98% quality, which again surprised me given the conditions outside.

Using the Camera Raw filter in PS, I tweaked it a bit to get rid of some of the moonglow, adjust the contrast, and sharpen it up a tad. I could play with PhotoShop all day :D
And here is the end result of that little foray:

During the time between my processing fun and typing this, my better half left to get groceries. I know roughly how long she'll be, so I made coffee before she got back, and when she came in I did the right thing; I stopped typing this and went to help her put it all away and deal with the once again loud cat. Might as well start the day in her good books.

It's after 11AM here already; I can't believe that. Mayhaps I should have a bite to eat and relent to some housework. Then if it's warm enough, I can spend the latter part of the afternoon welding up that grill.
Oh, the happy faces I shall see :lol:

I hope you have a good weekend and all the best!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Saturday morning fun & run

Post by Makuser »

Hi Mark. This is a wonderful fun read story. Looks like you had a busy morning. And I like the way your third quarter phase lunar image turned out. Thanks for the great report today Mark, and I hope that you and your family enjoy a delightful Easter Sunday.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Nice read as always Mark! Thanks for sharing your morning and wonderful lunar photo with us!

At least you did the stair rush at a late 5:14 a.m. It gets better buddy!

I think that last night was the last of our nice 40 degree evenings. The humid heat will be on the way soon. The mild winters here down south are great.

Take care!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Thank you for the great report. Mark.
The daylight image gives fine perspective on your view, and the lunar image is very enjoyable with nice detail and color.
Thank you, Mark. 😊
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A nice story Mark, enjoy your weekend.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

I agree with all the other comments Mark, you never fail to disappoint with your reports :)

A lovely fun read, and nice to know you are so considerate to your other half. Best not to get in her bad books ;)

Have a wonderful weekend, and try not to overdo it.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:45 am Mark, you never fail to disappoint with your reports :)
I have never thought they were that bad...
:lol:
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:58 am
Butterfly Maiden wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:45 am Mark, you never fail to disappoint with your reports :)
I have never thought they were that bad...
:lol:
Oops :oops: I've just re-read my comment and have seen my error.

I am so so sorry Mark. I had a couple of thoughts going through my head at that point - "you never disappoint with your reports" and "you never fail to please with your reports". They got a little mixed up in my final translation.

Please forgive me, I'm usually more careful than that :roll:

Thank you Gabrielle for nicely pointing that out :sigh:

I am practically perfect :lol:

I feel so bad about that now. If you're able to Mark, please re-edit my post to one of the options I suggested above.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.