Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

This mornings Moon - 03/30/2021

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hey all, hope you're good :D

I woke up this morning at just after 3AM and couldn't get back to sleep. It was fairly warm out; 45F (7C) with fluffy clouds rapidly going across a clear sky.
The Moon was setting in the west, so I decided to take out my C80-HD and Canon 550D (T2i). The Moon is just past full and waning at 96% illumination. A waxing Moon at the same illumination to me makes for a better shot, but it's been a while since I've done this and also it's nice out.

This is the best 6 out of 10 shots at ISO 200 and 1/320 of a second exposure. Aligned and stacked with PIPP and AS3, then processed with PS. That Adobe Camera Raw filter is the best for ease of use; I've pretty much abandoned ImPPG and Registax.

It's coming up to 10PM here and I'm starting to feel it. I was going to respond to some PM's, but after 19 hours, I either need to staple my eyelids open or get some sleep. I'll go with the latter.

Have a great night/day all!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: This mornings Moon - 03/30/2021

Post by messier 111 »

very nice and sharp , thx
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: This mornings Moon - 03/30/2021fine lunsr image Mark!

Post by Juno16 »

That is a really nice lunar image Mark!

There is a certain peacefulness getting up early. I like it! Don’t feel like doing it as much as I used to though!

I really enjoy PS Camera Raw too. Amazing stuff! The main reason that I keep PS!

Take care.f
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

Very nice image Mark! I’m looking forward to later this week when the moon will give us a break and start rising after midnight so I can hopefully do some work on my Herschel list. I love early morning observing. It’s so peaceful! Thanks for sharing your report with us.
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice image Mark. I also enjoy getting up early, sometimes at 4:30 or so to get in an hour of observing. Very peaceful and usually the light pollution level is slightly better.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
les_robot United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by les_robot »

Nice image... Thanks for sharing and for getting up really early..

Clear Skies,

Les
Telescopes: Apertura AD10 and Orion XT8 Dobsonians.
Eyepieces: Explore Scientific 82 degree 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm.
Apertura 30mm, Orion 25mm and 9mm Plossl,
Orion 7-21 Zoom.
Camera: Meade LPI-G
EAA: Dwarf II ordered Dec. 30, 2023.
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Mark, I am so, so impressed with the result you got of your Moon shot :Clap:

The best I have been able to get is a big white blob with no details whatsoever.

I understood your explanation of the aperture and shutter speed settings on your camera, but you lost me after the stacking process and other programs you were using.

I just have a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 camera. Can you please tell me if there is a way to get some acceptable shots of the Moon with the camera I have got :veryconfused:

I know I can set some things manually on my camera, but I suppose I have not experimented enough with it :sigh:

If you could give me some suggestions to get started I would very much appreciate it. Please keep it as simple as possible though. I'm not as technically minded as yourself and lots of other members on here, so If I have to do multiple procedures involving different software to get a good result, then I think I would just get too frustrated with it and give up.

If there's not a fairly simple way of getting some good Moon shots with just the camera I have got then please tell me. At least I'll know if I am wasting my time or not.

I am well out of my comfort zone for photographing the sky and need lots of help :veryconfused: . Give me landscapes and animals and I am okay :D
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Mark. A very nice lunar image of the waning gibbous moon. The mare regions and the ejecta rays on Craters Tycho and Copernicus show up quite well. Thanks for taking the time to put your work up on here for us to enjoy Mark, I hope that get another chance to grab some more captures soon, as your weather seems to be improving now.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Very nice 👍
Thanks for sharing Mark
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:31 pm I just have a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 camera. Can you please tell me if there is a way to get some acceptable shots of the Moon with the camera I have got :veryconfused:

Put your Lumix on a tripod and get a few 20 second videos of the Moon at different exposure levels. Then start a new thread, I'm sure you'll get lots of advice on what to do next!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Filthy, stinking, Evil Orb. JK! Nice pic. I'll be firing up my baby Mak in another day or so for some lunar looking.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

messier 111 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:02 am very nice and sharp , thx

Merci bien mon ami! :D

Juno16 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:06 am That is a really nice lunar image Mark!

There is a certain peacefulness getting up early. I like it! Don’t feel like doing it as much as I used to though!

I really enjoy PS Camera Raw too. Amazing stuff! The main reason that I keep PS!

Take care.f

Thanks Jim, and I agree with you on the getting up early. My bladder helps me with that :lol: I knew you and a few others on here were using Camera Raw so I thought to give it a shot; glad I did!

10538 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:01 am Very nice image Mark! I’m looking forward to later this week when the moon will give us a break and start rising after midnight so I can hopefully do some work on my Herschel list. I love early morning observing. It’s so peaceful! Thanks for sharing your report with us.

Thanks Ed and good to hear from you! Hopefully your skies have been clear the last couple of days and continue; good luck with the Herschel list! :D

helicon wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:12 pm Nice image Mark. I also enjoy getting up early, sometimes at 4:30 or so to get in an hour of observing. Very peaceful and usually the light pollution level is slightly better.

Thanks Michael; and I have to agree, it is nice; at least when I'm awake. That's the hard part... :lol:

les_robot wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:18 pm Nice image... Thanks for sharing and for getting up really early..

Clear Skies,

Les

Thanks Les, and definately a little earlier than I'd wanted for sure...!!

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:31 pm Mark, I am so, so impressed with the result you got of your Moon shot :Clap:

The best I have been able to get is a big white blob with no details whatsoever.

I understood your explanation of the aperture and shutter speed settings on your camera, but you lost me after the stacking process and other programs you were using.

I just have a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 camera. Can you please tell me if there is a way to get some acceptable shots of the Moon with the camera I have got :veryconfused:

I know I can set some things manually on my camera, but I suppose I have not experimented enough with it :sigh:

If you could give me some suggestions to get started I would very much appreciate it. Please keep it as simple as possible though. I'm not as technically minded as yourself and lots of other members on here, so If I have to do multiple procedures involving different software to get a good result, then I think I would just get too frustrated with it and give up.

If there's not a fairly simple way of getting some good Moon shots with just the camera I have got then please tell me. At least I'll know if I am wasting my time or not.

I am well out of my comfort zone for photographing the sky and need lots of help :veryconfused: . Give me landscapes and animals and I am okay :D

Thanks for the kind words Vanessa, but there's better than what I did on here for sure :D

I looked up your camera, that is very nice indeed; I'm envious! I like Graeme's idea as well. If you have a zoom lens and a tripod, you're all set from what I understand. I've never actually done that, most (99%) of my pics of the Moon are done with this rig:
07.png
However, the scope in this case is just being used as a lens really.

Also, I know you have a Mac, and I don't know what you would use for aligning and stacking. As well, I've never tried video, I just take single frames. Then I align them in PIPP so that the Moon is in the same place in every frame, and stack them in AS3. All that does is combine the separate images into one, thus bringing out the detail a single frame won't have. And PhotoShop, Registax or the like for processing; sharpness, contrast, etc.

It's not difficult, and I'll look into what's available for Macs, unless someone here can chime in.

I'm with Graeme on the whole start your own thread as well; lots of helpful people here :D

Makuser wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:36 pm Hello Mark. A very nice lunar image of the waning gibbous moon. The mare regions and the ejecta rays on Craters Tycho and Copernicus show up quite well. Thanks for taking the time to put your work up on here for us to enjoy Mark, I hope that get another chance to grab some more captures soon, as your weather seems to be improving now.

Thanks Marshall, and though my skies are clear, the temps have really dropped (below freezing). It snowed yesterday morning :lol:

Hope you and Sheri are well!

Ylem wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:44 am Very nice 👍
Thanks for sharing Mark
Thanks Jeff! :D Hope you, your wife and the weather conditions are good!

pakarinen wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:28 pm Filthy, stinking, Evil Orb. JK! Nice pic. I'll be firing up my baby Mak in another day or so for some lunar looking.

:lol: You're so right! At least it's only a bother really early in the AM for the next bit. That's what I want; a Mak... One of these fine days!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Ozypic
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ozypic »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:31 pm Mark, I am so, so impressed with the result you got of your Moon shot :Clap:

I just typed this (Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 for moon) into google and come up with lots of good moon shots with your camera...
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Very nice capture Mark, a lot of detail for a 96% Luna.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447