Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Some so-so Moon shots...

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hey everybody, hope you're good :D

Been a busy week here; my wife is doing parent-teacher interviews from home, my daughter finished her first semester; she got 98% in robotics and 97% in HTML (part of her tech class), French was a 96% and Math was a 92%. Way to go kiddo!!

So they're at home and I'm at work, on the road all day seeing seniors and their pets. Normally I'm home anywhere from 1-3PM, but two people have been off this week, one with Covid. Not good. I'm fine and so is everyone else, but still...!!!

This was part of my day, in case you're interested. If not, oh well :lol:

The majority of my day involves driving, and my traffic is usually non-existent like this, until I go home. I stopped here really because, well, coffee. And it wasn't to buy it; I know, I'm a horrible person :lol:
road.JPG

This was the pooch I was bringing groceries to, along with a few new chew toys. His name is Frank and he is very happy to see me, as are the other 50-70 dogs I see each week. And yes, I know all of them and their owners by name :D
Frank.JPG

Every time I see Frank, I have to think, this is what you would get if you crossed a dog, sheep and lion into one. You know who would agree with me? The Ancient Aliens guy, Giorgio or whatever his name is. The bad hair guy. I can imagine it now....
But I digress :lol:

Been a few late/long days, and today was another one, as was yesterday and the day before. However, I still try to find time to look up after all is taken care of for the day. On Tuesday (Nov 17th) I managed to have about an hour of so-so clear skies, hence the title of this thread. I did manage to get the setting crescent Moon at about 7PM setting in the west. I used my C80-HD and Canon T2i; best stack of 30 shots at ISO 800 and 1/320 sec exposure.
Nov_17_20.jpg

And tonight I got in a bit after 6PM, lit a fire, and got warm :D
fire.jpg

After that was done, I saw the hazy-looking Moon through the clouds. I was tired and just felt to sit and play around. This is the Moon through my 60mm f/7 "Towatron" with my T2i. ISO 800 and one second exposure.
_MG_4892.jpg

Well, that is me for the night. I haven't been on here as much as I'd like to be lately, but sometimes that's life. Tomorrow looks like another long day, but it is Friday. Hopefully a clear weekend :D

Have a good night/day and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: Some so-so Moon shots...

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Thank you for the great update Mark and congratulations to Sarah on the outstanding grades!
Some nice images along with the story, that is quite the dog!
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Hey Mark , Is Frank a Chow ? , My wife and I had a Chow many years ago , great companion and very loyal .
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:42 am Thank you for the great update Mark and congratulations to Sarah on the outstanding grades!
Some nice images along with the story, that is quite the dog!
Thanks Gabby, and I will let Sarah know when she wakes up tomorrow :lol:
Hope things are good for you; wish I could have helped you with your starter question, but I don't have anything that recent :D
Stay safe and all our best to you!

Solsearcher wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:50 am Hey Mark , Is Frank a Chow ? , My wife and I had a Chow many years ago , great companion and very loyal .

Hi Mike, nice to hear from you! Yes he is a Chow, such a wonderful pooch now that he knows me.
The funny thing is, when I go to the house into the back, he's always outside. When he sees me he barks and the tail starts going, and he must have a vocal issue.
When he barks it's always three in a row and it sounds like "mark, mark, mark" :lol:
The funny thing is, his owner says he only barks like that when I show up. I'm not too sure what to think about that....
Have a good night!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

I guess he knows your name and is greeting the fellow who brings his food !! Our Chow "Benson" was about 2 years old when my son was born , , he soon took up the role of our son's personal protector . Pets are great and I have almost always had them in my life , this is Byra , she recently celebrated her 2nd birthday .
IMG_3024.JPG
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Mark. A great story post from you. I loved all of the photographs and that waxing crescent moon is nice work. Also, congratulations to Sarah on here final grades too. Thanks so much for your fun read update report Mark, and the kindest of regards to you and to your family.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Coffee “breaks” are a longstanding road trip tradition! At least for me.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Not so so moon shots at all! Very nice!

Congratulations to your daughter!

Frank is beautiful! Give him a scratch for me.

Take care and thanks for your enjoyable post!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/