Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Two scopes, one Moon

Post by Thefatkitty »

Greetings and salutations all!

It was a subdued Canada day here yesterday. A few fireworks went off at night in the local parks, but nothing like years before. Just as well as it was hot and humid again. Still, I was bored, and it was clear enough out... By that I mean blue-whitish skies turning to a brownish-grey at twilight. Still, at 9:30PM the Moon was coming up in the east over the roof. I went and got my C80-HD from the basement and my CG4 from the shed.

Had a 5 minute look, but the glare was getting to be a bit much. So I put my Canon T2i (550D) in the focuser of the C80 and took some pics. I really didn't expect anything, as it was still twilight here, and coupled with the haze... Not looking good. I took a few at ISO 200 and 1/320th sec; that was just a good waste of shutter time. Then I upped the ISO to 800, and set the exposure to 1/1000 sec. Took 10 shots at those settings.

Went downstairs to see what I ended up with. The 1/320 sec exposures definitely showed the moisture in the air; the Moon slightly changed shape from one frame to the next. Just for fun I tried stacking them. The result was pretty sharp, and filled with vertical lines :lol: Well, I wasn't hoping for much if anything.

Then I tried the ones at 1/1000 sec exposure time. Ran all ten frames through PIPP, then stacked the best 6 of that in AS3.

In five years I have rarely if ever gotten a stack this good with so little, especially considering my seeing conditions. I ran it through Registax ever so slightly, more for some fine definition than anything. I still can't believe this is only 6 frames shot in the twilight with heat, humidity, and hazy skies.
C80_Reg.jpg

By then 'ol Luna was behind the neighbours tree in the south. I sat inside until my other half went to bed at just after 11:30. After that, I went back out to see if the weather had improved. No, it really hadn't... The Moon had almost cleared the neighbours tree. As I was looking at this, I had an idea.

Before my last camera (my T3) bit the biscuit, I had noticed I had three 76mm (3") reflectors. One is a Towa with a nice wooden mount in perfect shape, dates from the early 80's. The other is a Tasco 3T, which is just a rebrand of my Towa, without the nice mount. The third is a Sky-Watcher I picked up with a few other scopes for $10 at a garage sale. The mirror in the Sky-Watcher also had a fair sized chip in it.

I had the idea to cut down the tube on the Sky-Watcher so it could come to focus with a DSLR. I did some measuring for the camera focus, and ended up cutting 2 and 3/4 inches off the back. Redrilled the mirror mounting holes for the primary mirror, and took the primary and secondary from the Tasco. Got the secondary lined up and centered, and at f/9, the primary is real easy to collimate; especially when you center-circle the primary mirror.

I made a mount for the scope to fit on my CG4 using four metal brackets from a wooden table "skirt" that I welded together. A door hinge and a "Fatkitty" latching system, and the tube mounts on my CG4 and can easily be rotated. It's also nicely balanced on the mount, which surprised me that it would. Sometimes I just get lucky... ;)

It has a spherical mirror, and the three "spider-vanes" that hold the secondary are more like rebar than thin vanes. Between those and the secondary, I can't imagine the primary getting much light. Well, I was curious to see how good the focus was, and the Moon is a good target for that.
3_1.jpg
3_2.jpg

I took 30 shots at ISO 800; 15 at 1/250 sec, and 15 at 1/320th. Bit more exposure time needed with the reflector it seems. I then took 15 shots of the Moon with my C80-HD at ISO 800 and 1/640th sec for comparison. Brought everything in and went downstairs once again. Ahhh, so cool down here....

After I processed and stacked 7 of the 1/250 sec images from the unholy marriage of a Sky-Watcher tube and some Tasco/Towa mirrors, I sat back in mild disbelief. I thought it would be grainy and soft on the edges.....

Not too shabby all considering:
3in-250-2-Reg.jpg

And for comparison, the stack from the C80-HD, of which 12 frames made it through the stacking process:
c80-640_Reg.jpg

Well, I was quite happy with the Skywatcher/Tasco. My intent is to manually track with it on my CG4, which I already did once with promising results. This gave me an opportunity to "mark" the focuser for future reference, and the focus seems good, so I know I built and collimated it right :D Cheaper than an APO ($40 and my time), and it'll be fun to see what I get. I keep my expectations low with all this, and don't get frustrated. Can't expect much considering the expenditure...

Now all I need is my cheerful outlook (barf), coupled with some clear, non-humid & hazy skies!

Hope your forecast is clear and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Re: Two scopes, one Moon

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Another Fat Kitty re-fit! Great to hear it works well Mark, nice images from both of them :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Really nice images from both scopes Mark! Great to see you “shooting” stuff!

That latching system is ingenious! You are quite a fabricator.

Excellent work my friend. Keep on enjoying your skies!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nicely done Mark! On both the scope mod and Lunar shots. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Mark. I have a baseball card collection, and in it is only one card, and it has been one of the guiding lights of my life.
Determination.JPG
I admire your sturdy sense of determination and the fine work that you upload onto the TSS forum. You have excellent waxing gibbous lunar images here. Thanks for the nice views Mark, and the kindest of regards.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>