Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Image Stitch Overlaps

Post by Graeme1858 »

Here's what happens if your overlaps are too small:

I used my Altair GPCAM2 290C to capture 12 x 500 frame SER videos in a 3 x 4 grid in Sharpcap. Looks like I should have used 3 x 5 or even 4 x 5. I stacked 25% of each video in AS!3. The 4 rows stitched ok in MS ICE but there wasn't enough overlap to stitch the rows into a single picture.

Epic fail but it was good to put the 290C to good use, I have pretty much just been using the 600D. Quite pleased with the quality even if the colour balancing doesn't match across the rows.

Right, how long do I have to wait for the Moon to move out of Virgo so I can have another go at those Messier galaxies with my 16'x10' fov?

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Image Stitch Overlaps

Post by Juno16 »

Good for you Graeme to give stitching a try. Looks like you came mighty close!

I will need to give this a shot with my dslr on some large targets sometime.

Right now, I would like to get out to image anything! My skies are into week three of clouds/rain and there is a tropical system (tropical storm or hurricane) that should be heading this way on the weekend. Yes, I have clear sky envy!

Looks like I am going the opposite direction from you. With my aps-c dslr and 102 frac, I get a pretty decent fov. I just ordered a Stellarview 0.8 FF/FR to try to get a bigger piece of the sky.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Cheers Jim

I'm certainly going to have another go at stitching some images. The only reason I used the 290C was to capture a lucky imaging video. The narrow field of view was just a side effect. Then the idea of capturing small Messiers came to me after trying with the Canon a couple of weeks ago.

Good luck with the focal reducer!

Regards

Graeme

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

The two middle rows show same detail on both sets ie there should be just enough to stitch part of the image as a seamless portion.

I get this artifact when I don't crop enough of each frame and is a result from the misalignment overlaps of every stack set where the data isn't equal on the edges caused by dithering, tracking drift ectt. What program are you using to stitch your image? Are you cropping your frames beforehand?

Also are you stitching them in rows then stitching the rows together after?
Last edited by yobbo89 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Jamescook1971 Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jamescook1971 »

4x5 I think is the right side of caution - probably have one or two tiles that you'll only need a tiny portion of but better safe than sorry! Your middle two rows look like they should stitch though? I don't think I went above 20 frames stacked on my last mosaic - many of them were just the best 10 of each 500 (a few only 5 frames or so) - but the seeing was pretty poor and the moon was v low by midnight.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

yobbo89 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:45 pm The two middle rows show same detail on both sets ie there should be just enough to stitch part of the image as a seamless portion.

I get this artifact when I don't crop enough of each frame and is a result from the misalignment overlaps of every stack set where the data isn't equal on the edges caused by dithering, tracking drift ectt. What program are you using to stitch your image? Are you cropping your frames beforehand?

Also are you stitching them in rows then stitching the rows together after?

Yeah, I saw that after I posted it! Don't know wht it didn't join but I've done it again, I'll post it up in a moment.

I used MS ICE. It's good for a freebie! I cropped the blank red bits in AS!3 but that's all.

Yes, I made up the rows and then tried to join them.

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Jamescook1971 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:46 pm 4x5 I think is the right side of caution - probably have one or two tiles that you'll only need a tiny portion of but better safe than sorry! Your middle two rows look like they should stitch though? I don't think I went above 20 frames stacked on my last mosaic - many of them were just the best 10 of each 500 (a few only 5 frames or so) - but the seeing was pretty poor and the moon was v low by midnight.

Thanks James. I'll post up rev 02, it was more successful!

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

It would seem that MS ICE works things out more easily if you join all the panels one at a time. And it can only handle a maximum image height of 4876 pixels.

De-saturated and colour balanced in Gimp. The whole thing needs to be rotated about 40° anticlockwise but I don't know how to do that!

Regards

Graeme

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

ah ha !, yes !
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .