Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

M51 (The Whirlpool Galaxy) This Year's Version

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Everyone!

Thank you lord! Got a chance to get out last night! Its been two weeks!

Clear except for the small Cumulus clouds that moved through early and messed up some subs, but dang, I could hear the wind blowing through the trees all night. At least the 11 mph that I saw on the Weather Channel app. Atmosphere was very unstable. Focusing was really tough! I ended up not using the Batinov Mask tool in APT and just running Live View at 100% magnification with the mask and try to get a good pattern intersection.

The sky was really bright. I used the SQM app on my phone and it read an 18.50. The worse end of Bortle 7.

So, with all of that going on, my goal was modest. To better my last years (and only) attempt at M51. I will include that image for comparison.

Definitely better color (modded camera vs. unmodded camera) and better details, but don’t magnify the image much because its pretty noisy!

40 subs stacked in DSS (about 160 minutes).
Nikon D5300 (Ha modded) at iso 400 for 240 seconds. IDAS LPS-D1 filter.
Bias, Flats, and I used an old Master Dark.
Processed in Startools with a twitch in Photosho Elements.
M51 4-12-20 new process with 71 percent bin with sharp in pe auto levels.jpg
This is last years version.
About 1 ½ hours integration with a Nikon D3300 (unmodded).
M51 The Whirlpool Galaxy.jpg
I am hoping that I can get a few more hours on this target this season. Just for the heck of it, I stacked last years data and this years data to see what develops!

Thanks for looking!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Don Quixote

Re: M51 (The Whirlpool Galaxy) This Year's Version

Post by Don Quixote »

Ok !
That looks good Jim.👍
I see a difference.
Now you have me thinking again of doing something with one of my cameras.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi All,

I just threw a quick process on both last years data and this years data. Had to really fight with the colors and some walking noise (I didn't dither last year), but I think that it is kinda pleasing.

Please let me know which version you like better!

Thanks!
M51 with last years and this years data.jpg
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

New one seems a tad better, but they are pretty close. Thanks for sharing the new one Jim.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

To be very honest Jim, I prefer the second one of the three posted. I find its darker background sky to be more pleasing to my eye, and that the detail within M51 and NGC 5195 is more natural. While the third one brings out some nearby galaxies better, for my personal tastes the second image is easily more aesthetically pleasing.

While it it can be difficult to convey what I mean verbally, I guess based on myriad visual observations of this galaxy over the decades with larger aperture, it renders the galaxies in more natural tones. Since I am solely a visual observer, that is how I relate more to images, and that one just seems more akin to what I see, though of course more detailed. I also think that image holds up better in the "zoomed" view. Hope that all makes sense.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
ic_1101 Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ic_1101 »

Very nice Jim. I do like the newer version better, a bit less noise and i like the colors a tad better. Thx for sharing.
Alex
Scope: SW Esprit 120ED, Askar FRA300
Mount: ZWO AM5
Cameras: QHY268M/C, QHY183M/C, ASI290MM
Software: Pixinsight, AstroPixelProcessor, SGP
Observatory: Exploradome with Nexdome rotator
https://www.astrobin.com/users/ic_1101/
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

kt4hx wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:19 pm To be very honest Jim, I prefer the second one of the three posted. I find its darker background sky to be more pleasing to my eye, and that the detail within M51 and NGC 5195 is more natural. While the third one brings out some nearby galaxies better, for my personal tastes the second image is easily more aesthetically pleasing.

While it it can be difficult to convey what I mean verbally, I guess based on myriad visual observations of this galaxy over the decades with larger aperture, it renders the galaxies in more natural tones. Since I am solely a visual observer, that is how I relate more to images, and that one just seems more akin to what I see, though of course more detailed. I also think that image holds up better in the "zoomed" view. Hope that all makes sense.
Hi Alan,

I wanted your honest impressions and I thank you for that!

All that I see in an eyepiece are two very dim smudges! I can’t imagine seeing the view that you describe.

I’ll give the data another run (or two) and try to attenuate the intensity and color to try to retail the detail.

Not having your database of visual observations, I am more partial to the third image (combined data) because I like the extra detail and smoothness.

Thanks a bunch Alan! I really appreciate your thoughts!
Jim

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Juno16 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:55 pm
kt4hx wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:19 pm To be very honest Jim, I prefer the second one of the three posted. I find its darker background sky to be more pleasing to my eye, and that the detail within M51 and NGC 5195 is more natural. While the third one brings out some nearby galaxies better, for my personal tastes the second image is easily more aesthetically pleasing.

Hi Alan,

I wanted your honest impressions and I thank you for that!

All that I see in an eyepiece are two very dim smudges! I can’t imagine seeing the view that you describe.

I’ll give the data another run (or two) and try to attenuate the intensity and color to try to retail the detail.

Not having your database of visual observations, I am more partial to the third image (combined data) because I like the extra detail and smoothness.

Thanks a bunch Alan! I really appreciate your thoughts!
You're welcome Jim. Ultimately the only person you need satisfy is yourself. We each like what we like for our own reasons.

I have at times seen M51/NGC 5195 almost photographically through the eyepiece with enough aperture and excellent conditions. In fact, that exact view is what solidified my primary interest as a galaxy hunter/observer. That occurred back in the early 1980s from a rural Indiana setting. Light pollution was of course magnitudes less than it is today in the same location. Using the same optics that I currently use (long before having them re-figured and updated coatings applied) in the old Coulter structure, those galaxies were indeed strongly reminiscent of the black and white film images I was used to seeing in those days. So all that influences how I see images and what I find more pleasing within them. But again, that is just me, and not necessarily anyone else. Main thing is to keep up the excellent work, and know that you have made major strides in your image collection and processing. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
MariusD69 Romania
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Very nice! Well done, Jim!
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations Jim on having your image selected as today's TSS APOD!

app.php/article/4-15-2020-tss-astronomy ... of-the-day
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Ruud
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ruud »

The first image is impressive already, but the second is so much better still!
Wonderful processing. The colours are sublime.
7x50 Helios Apollo 8x42 Bresser Everest 73mm f/5.9 WO APO 4" f/5 TeleVue Genesis 6" f/10 Celestron 6SE 0.63x reducer 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3x Barlows eyepieces from 4.5 to 34mm
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks for the apod! I am still messing with the image! Trying to get a good balance of color and detail. Hopethat I get the chance to add more data soon!
Jim

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Congratulations on the APOD Jim.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Dont know how I missed this previously. Lovely image Jim and well deserved APOD

Hope you get some more clear sky.

Rgds

David.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Jim. I like both versions of your M51. Nice contrast, sparkly spiral arm details, and the little companion NGC 5195 shows up well. Thanks for sharing these with us on here Jim, and congratulations on winning the TSS APOD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thank you everyone!

I have really struggled with this image!

That evening had several challenging things going on and I knew the data would be challenging. At first, I thought that the colors (with the modded dslr) were pretty cool, but later though that they were a bit too much.

Below is my last pass with this! Well, not necessarily if I get more data!
M51 4-12-20 5.jpg
Jim

starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by starfield »

Like this last one the best, Jim. Congrats on APOD --Steve
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Juno16 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:24 pm Thanks for the apod! I am still messing with the image! Trying to get a good balance of color and detail. Hopethat I get the chance to add more data soon!
Nice indeed! How are planning on "messing" with it, though? What are your thoughts?
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:45 am
Juno16 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:24 pm Thanks for the apod! I am still messing with the image! Trying to get a good balance of color and detail. Hopethat I get the chance to add more data soon!
Nice indeed! How are planning on "messing" with it, though? What are your thoughts?
Thank you so much nFA!

The product of the “messing with” is attached in post #16. I reprocessed and backed off the aggressiveness. The sky that evening was extra challenging. Ended up with a version more pleasing to my eye.

Thanks again. Your comments and everyone’s comments are greatly appreciated!
Jim

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Little late to the party here... For me, it's a toss-up between the second image and the one in post #16. I'll go with the one in post #16; nice balance of natural color and detail. Plus you spent extra time on it too :D

Yeah, congrats on the APOD as well!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D