M20 reprocess

Post your DSO images here.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

M20 reprocess

Post by bobharmony »

I shot this data in July 2018 and felt the urge to reprocess after seeing what I have been able to get out of my latest data with new versions of StarTools and DSS. M20 is in a terrible spot for me where I have about a 40 minute window between trees and above a streetlight. This is 8 180 second subs stacked with darks, flats, and bias frames, and processed with ST 1.6.382.
M20 K3 NWB ST.jpg
Here is my previous attempt for comparison purposes.
M20 M21.jpg
Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: M20 reprocess

Post by UlteriorModem »

Nice job, not only did you bring up the luminance of the target, you also darkened the background. I know these two tasks are hardly mutually exclusive :D
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Wow ! Bob...
That new process is quite different.
You have pulled a lot more out of this data...lost the red/pink hue...colors lookin good now...nice contrasts. Star colors are nice!
Fantastic job. 👍
Thank you.
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

That's a super reprocessing. And amazing for such a short integration.

I'd be interested to hear what 1.6 allowed you to do over the previous process to get such a difference

Rgds

David
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Really nice reprocess Bob.

The new process has really nice star colors. The blues are much more pronounced.

Really cool what the data holds! Nice work!

Did you bin?
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Wow, big difference. Excellent processing to pull out that latent data, Bob.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1046

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations Bob on having your image selected as todays TSS APOD!

app.php/article/4-12-2020-tss-astrophot ... of-the-day
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Congrats on the APOD selection, Bob. 👍
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Bob. I like the new reprocess of your M20 (Trifid Nebular). More contrast and the bi-color nebulosity is much more vibrant. Thanks for putting this up on here for us to enjoy Bob, and I hope that you had a great Easter.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Nice :)
A big difference :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Jockinireland wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:41 pm That's a super reprocessing. And amazing for such a short integration.

I'd be interested to hear what 1.6 allowed you to do over the previous process to get such a difference

Rgds

David
David

The tools that have proved most useful in recent StarTools releases are part of the AutoDev module. The ability to select a Region of Interest helps tame the background while allowing specific control over just how much of the faint detail of the object itself gets brought out. The Ignore Fine Detail slider is also useful in quieting some of the gross noise, which this image had a lot of given the short integration time. These tools may have been available in the 1.5 release, but I have found over the years that as Ivo releases new alphas and betas, there is even better function and capability in them.

I also used the checkbox in DSS that turns off all White Balancing. This is something Ivo asked for specifically for StarTools and it seems to give me great color without a lot of fuss. For this one I turned up the saturation just a bit above the default of 200%.
Juno16 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:21 pm Really nice reprocess Bob.

The new process has really nice star colors. The blues are much more pronounced.

Really cool what the data holds! Nice work!

Did you bin?
Thanks, Jim. Yes, I binned this one to 71%. I had an initial run at it without binning, but the result was too noisy for my taste so I went back for another try. Even this small amount of binning reduced the processing time considerably.
Gordon wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:43 pm Congratulations Bob on having your image selected as todays TSS APOD!

app.php/article/4-12-2020-tss-astrophot ... of-the-day
Thanks, Gordon. It's nice to get another one of these under my belt :)

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

bobharmony wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:11 am
Thanks, Jim. Yes, I binned this one to 71%. I had an initial run at it without binning, but the result was too noisy for my taste so I went back for another try. Even this small amount of binning reduced the processing time considerably.

Bob
Congratulations on the apod Bob. Well deserved!

So far, with limited experimentation, 71% seems to be the sweet spot between quality details and processing time. That is, of course, when less the image responds well to less binning. Glad that you shared that tip awhile back!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

UlteriorModem wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:27 pm Nice job, not only did you bring up the luminance of the target, you also darkened the background. I know these two tasks are hardly mutually exclusive :D
Thanks, Tom. The latest version of StarTools has been a game-changer for me. Ivo has really baked some good stuff in there, and I am starting to figure out how to do it some justice, I think.

Bob

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

bobharmony wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:24 pm I shot this data in July 2018 and felt the urge to reprocess after seeing what I have been able to get out of my latest data with new versions of StarTools and DSS.

Hello Bob

Really nice colours in the re-processed version.

Congratulations on the APOD.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
ic_1101 Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ic_1101 »

Excellent repro Bob! Congrats on the TSS APOD, well deserved!
Alex
Scope: SW Esprit 120ED, Askar FRA300
Mount: ZWO AM5
Cameras: QHY268M/C, QHY183M/C, ASI290MM
Software: Pixinsight, AstroPixelProcessor, SGP
Observatory: Exploradome with Nexdome rotator
https://www.astrobin.com/users/ic_1101/
Astrovetteman
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Astrovetteman »

Hey Bob, that's a GREAT reprocess!! Congrats on the APOD! This is always a tough one for me....lots of LP and trees in my southern sky, so my imaging time is really short......maybe it's time to get the chainsaw out!!
Great Job!!
Tom
Scopes:TeleVue NP127is, TeleVue TV-85, Celestron C8 EdgeHD
Mount:Celestron CGEM-DX Hypertuned, CGX-L
Cameras: ASI6200MM/7POS 2”FW,QHY16200A, QHY9M, QHY10 OSC, Canon 60Da, QHY5LII, QHY PoleMaster
Guider:Orion 60mm Deluxe/ZWOASI120MC
Filters: Astrodon LRGB Gen2, Astrodon UV/IR Cut, Astrodon 3nmOIII, Astrodon 3nmSII, Baader 3.5nmHA, Baader 7nmHA
Software:MaximDL6, APT, Pixinsight, Photoshop CS5
Remote Sites: Deep Sky West-Chile, Telescope Live Australia, Chile, Spain
Cats:Pugsley, Tiggy, Panda
Dog:Noell
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Astrovetteman wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:39 pm Hey Bob, that's a GREAT reprocess!! Congrats on the APOD! This is always a tough one for me....lots of LP and trees in my southern sky, so my imaging time is really short......maybe it's time to get the chainsaw out!!
Great Job!!
Tom
Thanks, Tom. Ditto on the tough southern sky here. The view has gotten better in the past year as a couple of the old Norway Maples in my neighbors and my front yards have had to come down. I'll have to see about adding some integration time this year!

Bob