Post your DSO images here.
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Pleiades-Venus-Meteor Conjunction 4/5/2020

Post by Hankmeister3 »

I had a weather window tonight and I really wanted to grab a few frames of the Venus-M45 Pleiades conjunction +Day 1 since I didn't have the sky for it yesterday when Venus made its closest pass by the Seven Sisters. It was girls night out, alright! Intruder alert! Some heavy metal bad boy crashed the party, however he turned out to be just another flash in the pan to the dismay of the ladies in attendance.

This was the 18th of 20 frames I took tonight of the +Day 1 conjunction and I noted the meteor immediately when the post-view popped up on the camera's LCD screen.

This meteor must have been really tumbling given the somewhat erratic path it took through Earth's atmosphere before it burned up. The enlargements show not only a shower of "sparks" coming off the meteor but also some ionized gases … I think. Maybe someone more familiar with these kind of meteor images has a better story to tell.

I also was able to burn through about fifty frames getting some images of Luna in its current phase. I'll sort through them this afternoon and I might post one on the Lunar forum if it's a good single-frame capture.

Unfortunately the clock time on this camera is not correct. I believe the meteor event happened some time around 9:00. Maybe someone else in the world captured it too and has a more accurate time of this bit of celestial serendipity. Okay, there's a good bit of predictable celestial mechanics going on in this photo, too.

Meade 70mm f/5 Quadruplet astrograph
Canon EOS 77D DSLR unmodified
SW EQ6-R Pro (PPEC + Sidereal tracking only)
18.7 seconds, ISO 400
Single-frame, no filter
No post-production, virgin image
Attachments
Venus-M45-Meteor.jpg
Pleiades Meteor Crop.jpg
Pleiades Meteor Super Crop.jpg
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Pleiades-Venus-Meteor Conjunction 4/5/2020

Post by Graeme1858 »

That's a right result catching the meteor, celestial serendipity indeed!

Nice conjunction too.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Thank you, Graeme.

BTW, I did a time check on my camera's date/time stamp in the metadata by using my cellphone clock as a check and it turns out the time is correct … within so many seconds. Apparently what happened is the camera's daylight savings time feature wasn't switched on so it was still on the "old time." What also threw me was the round number … "8:00", I just didn't think one would capture a meteor exactly (or almost exactly) at the top of the hour.

I think I'll post a Stakker-lite version of this image that will add a few more stars and maybe tame the brightness of Venus without affecting the meteor image too much. Hope springs eternal!

In the meantime this single-frame will have to do.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Here's a 6-stack, 3-layer Stakker-Lite version of this Venus-M45-Meteor conjunction. It brings out the stars more (sorry, no nebulosity without totally blowing out Venus plus Bortle 7 Moon-Sky glow. Transparency was well below average (almost non-existent from what my Mark 1 eyeballs were telling me), below average seeing conditions - Pickering 3, but then what else is new? I'm just happy to have grabbed this frame.

Stakker-Lite specs:
Data time was 66 seconds total for all six frames. I probably tweaked a bit too much in post-production, but imo it's an acceptable short stack image with no flats, darks, or bias frames. Close examination of the meteor trail reveals much color and fine detail was lost in the stacking process since I had only one frame with the meteor image in it … of course! For much better color and detail check out the original single-stack (no post-production) middle cropped photo. There is some very subtle color from the meteor's ionized gasses/plasma trail … or whatever was actually going on in the E-region of the ionosphere.
Attachments
Venus-Pleiades-Meteor Conjunction Meade 70mm f5 6-Stack 3-Layer.jpg
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Very nice Henry... that is one fat meteorite trail. I only saw a few while waiting for guiding to lock but none showed up in any of my images.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

i love it ! the best conjunction so far ! it looks like you can see some gasy plooms coming of the meteor .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Mac wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:29 pm Very nice Henry... that is one fat meteorite trail. I only saw a few while waiting for guiding to lock but none showed up in any of my images.
Yeah, I've had the same experience while waiting out the slack in my drive, Mac. It usually takes about 45 to 60 seconds for the drive to "catch up" and then I'm good to go.

Last year I had just captured a beautiful image of the Eagle Nebula and seconds after I ended the exposure, I happened to be looking right at that area of the sky and an even bigger, fatter meteor zipped right through the region. It actually left a green ionized trail that persisted for about 15 seconds. I'm not sure exactly how close to M16 it would have been and if it would have been within the frame, but it was really close.

I guess the only thing lacking in this image capture is a satellite track and jetliner lights tracking through the field! Now that would be super-duper-extra-ordinary!
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Nice one Henry.
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

So cool!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
Kerry C. United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

Great photo. And catching that meteor is sure a bonus! Thanks for sharing.
Kerry

Scopes; William Optics GT 81mm Triplet, TS Optics APO 102mm f/7refractor, Cestron Nexstar 8SE, Gskyer 80mm x 400mm refractor
Mount; Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro
Cameras; ZWO ASI 2600MC Pro, QHY5iii462C, ZWO ASI224MC, Canon 600D DSLR T3i.
Guide scope; ZWO 60280 f/4.6
Guide camera; ASI290mm mini
Filters; Optolong L-eXtreme 2”, Optolong L-Pro 2”, QHYCCD IR/CUT, QHYCCD IR850
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

What a great image!
Definitely a rare view :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Don Quixote wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:41 pm Nice one Henry.
Thanks, Mark. Were you out doing some visual last night?. It really wasn't that nice of a sky, I thought.

You know, when I think about it more now, after reviewing the track of that meteor above under some magnification, I think it was "knuckleballing" it's way through the atmosphere despite the shortness of its actual burn through the ionosphere. That would mean it had very little spin to stabilize its mass, much like a bullet/lead ball out of a smooth bore rifle instead of out of a rifled barrel.

If the meteor had any angular momentum (spin on its natural axis) it probably would have taken a straighter path before burning up. I know there are issues of vectoring, aerodynamic pressures and all that other good stuff about celestial mechanics my brain no longer process since my last astronomy class at the University of Houston 45 years ago, but I always wondered if a big enough rock (for a long burn) was to enter Earth's upper atmosphere slow enough and shallow enough entry angle with a good bit of spin on it, if it would create a curved meteoric plasma track in the sky … like a curveball in baseball. I think relatively slow-moving high-altitude fireballs sometimes follow a curve going in and coming out of Earth's atmosphere, but I believe that's more gravitational than it is spin. Hmmmmm?
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Thank you, Lady Fractor, Larry and Kerry.

Lady Fractor, did you have opportunity to visually observe the Pleiades/Venus conjunction? If so, did you observe any movement on the part of Venus during an extended observing time?

I bet a time-lapse video would have been pretty cool. Does anyone know if some APer has posted such a video on TSS?
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1045

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations Henry on having your image selected as todays TSS APOD!

app.php/article/4-7-2020-astrophotograp ... of-the-day
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice catch Henry!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hello Henry. This is the best Venus/Pleiades image that I have seen on here. The seven sisters woke up to an interloper here in your image. Thanks for sharing these captures on here Henry, and congratulations on winning the TSS APOD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Super job Henry!

You really caught a right place at the right time view with the meteor!

Very nice image. As Bob would put it. For “The Wall Of Fame”.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Amazing Henry. I don't know how you managed to pull it off but you did. Kudos to you for winning today's APOD.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Gordon wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:57 pm Congratulations Henry on having your image selected as todays TSS APOD!

app.php/article/4-7-2020-astrophotograp ... of-the-day
Thank you Gordon. I'm honored to have my image selected. I guess a meteor can be a man's (or woman's) best friend! Heh!

I really do appreciate the honor especially in view of all the wonderful images showing up on the TSS forum since I posted mine!

Clear skies to everyone. We have some hopefully nice skies here in flyover country in another five days.
TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Great image Henry, You should get that printed and framed!
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob : iOptron CEM70 without TripodBarlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/