M51 redone...

Post your DSO images here.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

M51 redone...

Post by UlteriorModem »

I had kind of promised to re-visit this data. The data is quite good and was able to get results from it.

Managed to stifle the low scale noise and still keep a lot of the nebulosity of the galaxy visible. Had a little fun with the color too :D

ImagePass 2 by Tom Whit, on Flickr
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: M51 redone...

Post by Mac »

UlteriorModem wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:36 pm I had kind of promised to re-visit this data. The data is quite good and was able to get results from it.

Managed to stifle the low scale noise and still keep a lot of the nebulosity of the galaxy visible. Had a little fun with the color too :D
Very very nice Tom. Tell us your secrets to reduce noise :D
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Excellent Tom, Great Job!
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob : iOptron CEM70 without TripodBarlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Mac wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:54 pm
UlteriorModem wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:36 pm I had kind of promised to re-visit this data. The data is quite good and was able to get results from it.

Very very nice Tom. Tell us your secrets to reduce noise :D
I use pixinsight careful use of range mask + star mask (in pixel math) to create a mask that covers the stars and hopefully most of the object. Then hammer at it with MLT.

Getting the mask right is the trickiest part. Lots of trial and error there because every set of data is different :D
Tom

Current Equipment:
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Very nicely done, Tom.
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

UlteriorModem wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:18 am
I use pixinsight careful use of range mask + star mask (in pixel math) to create a mask that covers the stars and hopefully most of the object. Then hammer at it with MLT.

Getting the mask right is the trickiest part. Lots of trial and error there because every set of data is different :D

Thanks Tom... I haven't done much with masks in PI, the next step in my editing evolution.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

It's fairly easy once you get the hang of it using PI's Range mask, and Star mask. Like I said a good deal of trial and error is required to get the results you want as every set of data is different.

What I do is create a range mask, and a star mask, then 'merge' the two using pixel math to make a 'master template'. The idea is to protect the stars and target data while you manipulate the background.

Watch the 'fuzziness' of the masks you dont want them too sharp, if you do you will see some weirdness after altering the background.
Tom

Current Equipment: